Plant expansion in Cleveland

HABANERO7

Maytag Cleveland Cooking Products is requesting city and county support in lieu of taxes toward a plan they have to invest $39,344,000 in their local plants.

The investment by Maytag will result in the provision of new product lines and improvements to existing facilities.

Maytag which is soon to become Whirlpool currently employees 2600 on 3 lines at the range plant and another 450 at the call center on the other side of town

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realize they had that many workers or large of facilities in the state either. Interesting news for sure. I hope the city can negotiate the neceassary tax incentives to make all that investment happen and hopefully give more security to that facility staying in Cleveland. That many jobs produce alot of tax revenue and commercial activity, definately want to keep them around and/or see their ranks grow.

• 3 weeks later...

Maytag uses a local temp office to work employees for 90 days before they begin any sort of permanent hiring. In one of last weeks Cleveland Daily Banner issues there was an advertisement listing a starting pay shift for those 90-day temp workers from $9 to $11, which could reflect a shift for regular employment wages, which currently start around $11

Thats sounds like fairly good money to start. At least it would be in areas of the state I'm familar with (outside maybe Memphis and Nashville), I would assume it is in your part of East Tennessee as well. I'm glad to hear that Cleveland has such a large and relatively well-paying employer.

Archived