Public Musuem of GR

Rizzo

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, the Van Andel Museum has been a constant disappointment and I continue to miss the old museum on Jefferson. As a kid, I'd spend hours looking at all the knick knacks and artifacts that seemed to be crammed into every available inch of the old museum.

The new museum is sterile and dull and many of the great displays (including Roger Chaffee's space suit) are gathering dust in storage. This museum might be some designer's dream, but as a patron, it leaves much to be desired.

AND have you ever seen the top floor luxury offices? Probably not, since no one from the public (which funded this building) is allowed up there. They are spectacular. Many a CEO would weep with envy.

^A crap load of space. My ma was telling me how much stuff they have, especially on local history and even some rumors of crazy crazy. Don't ask me about the rumors, ma didn't elaborate. (well she did, deformed babies, in glass cases?!)

^A crap load of space. My ma was telling me how much stuff they have, especially on local history and even some rumors of crazy crazy. Don't ask me about the rumors, ma didn't elaborate. (well she did, deformed babies, in glass cases?!)

oh those are common! My science teacher had some deformed pig fetuses in jars in the 7th grade, he had to get rid of them because a student broke the glass, an whooo boy did it stink.

Was it a human?! Aparently thoes aren't so common. You can't just dump a baby into a glass container and expect no one to notice...or not to complain. I would assume the images of DEFORMED babies in Grand Rapids would spark outrage.

I remember seeing them at the old museum, it was a display about how humans formed in the womb. There were little containers, each one had a fetus in it at different stages sitting in a liquid. (I dont know if they were real or not, but it was entertaining)

I remember seeing something like that. I'm pretty sure it was real. I'm also pretty sure that back in the day it wasn't as big of a deal to " dump a baby into a glass container" for scientific reasons.

^No, but today anything can happen in GR... People go lookie and see dead fetus in ooze and wonder "what in god's name? Children, cover your eyes."

heh, its amazing to think people have gotten more closed minded in recent years, when this same generation was the one burning bras, smoking massive amounts of foreign chemicals, and proclaiming peace and prosperity for all.

Archived