Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jcestes4

Mississippi...Believe It

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that Mississippi has had its fair share of bad press and poor imaging over the years but take a look at this latest ad campaign coming out of the Magnolia State. Very well done and a bit of the ole tongue-in-cheek to boot.

Mississippi - Believe It

What a great idea, and great job completing it on Mississippi's part!

I really like that website, there is alot of interesting info in there.

Moscow, Russia. Varna, Bulgaria. Helsinki, Finland. Jackson, Mississippi, USA

Mississippi? You Better Believe It!

Since 1979, the only place in the U.S. to see the International Ballet Competition has been in Mississippi.

I did not know this.

It is done very nicely. Although I'm trying to figure out if the 'Hog Callin' is a bit of a poke to Arkansas or not.

Although I'm trying to figure out if the 'Hog Callin' is a bit of a poke to Arkansas or not.

I think it is mentioned because it is part of the redneck stereotype that is applied to Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama. As are "tractor pulls" and "monster trucks."

I have seen quite a few "monster trucks" in New England as well. Of course, you know the saying about Pennsylvaina...."Philadelphia at one end, Pittsburgh at the other and Alabama in the middle." There are "rednecks" in Connecticut too.....I am tired of generalizations based upon geography.

I have seen quite a few "monster trucks" in New England as well. Of course, you know the saying about Pennsylvaina...."Philadelphia at one end, Pittsburgh at the other and Alabama in the middle." There are "rednecks" in Connecticut too.....I am tired of generalizations based upon geography.

Yeah I find it odd how people get portrayed in other areas. Out west they're called hippies, in the northeast they're people who prefer to live the 'rustic' life. But in this area of the country it's a bunch of inbred hillbillies/rednecks.

A lot of the things on that website I did not know. The upbeat attitude the campaign portrays will hopefully turn some heads about Mississippi.

I recently ventured over to Mississippi, and I was rather impressed. IMO, it blows its sterotype out of the water. People who talk down about MS are most likely speaking out of ignorance. The Gulf Coast not withstanding, I thought it was a very clean state, with some of the friendliest people I've met.

Interesting campaign.

It's great for Mississippians to show pride in their state.

However, I want to point out... pretty much every state can make similar claims about its famous people, institutions, etc

Interesting campaign.

However, I want to point out... pretty much every state can make similar claims about its famous people, institutions, etc

True indeed, but not every state has been as much maligned as Mississippi. Mississippi has been fastened squarely to the yoke of its tragic history for too long now As long as the media and other outlets keep up their anti-Mississippi themes, the many positive changes that have been made will not be known. Far from whitewashing unpleasant facts, Mississippi is using them as a foundation for education and improvement. A new Civil Rights Museum may be built in Jackson soon. Mississippi isn't perfect, but neither is any state or region.

Faulkner noted, "the past is never dead, it's not even past."

True indeed, but not every state has been as much maligned as Mississippi. Mississippi has been fastened squarely to the yoke of its tragic history for too long now As long as the media and other outlets keep up their anti-Mississippi themes, the many positive changes that have been made will not be known. Far from whitewashing unpleasant facts, Mississippi is using them as a foundation for education and improvement. A new Civil Rights Museum may be built in Jackson soon. Mississippi isn't perfect, but neither is any state or region.

Faulkner noted, "the past is never dead, it's not even past."

Mississippi is certainly not alone. South Carolina is very frequently compared to Mississippi, even though they are very different states. However, based on my brief excursion into MS, I think it has a lot to be proud of.... Perhaps more than certain neighboring states, which shall remain anonymous.

Mississippi is certainly not alone. South Carolina is very frequently compared to Mississippi, even though they are very different states. However, based on my brief excursion into MS, I think it has a lot to be proud of.... Perhaps more than certain neighboring states, which shall remain anonymous.

Hah. Nice closeted attack.

BTW, I never said they have nothing to be proud of.... I just said many states can make similar claims.

I agree with Tom Barnes post about the matter.

However I'd also like states that tend to be maligned often (AR, MS, etc.) to fix the areas where they are often maligned, namely education, infrastructure, social values, etc. After all, there is valid criticisms in these areas.

Having a famous writer from your state doesn't say much about the writing classes and education in the state as a whole. And please before more of the "Mississippi has more to proud of than bordering states" jab, my statements apply to all states in a similar position as MS, not just MS.

I was not trying to attack anyone. I was simply agreeing that other states have problems to, while using my own state as an example rather than pulling in the AL, LA, AR, and TN comparisons. My other point is that I liked MS, and any effort to improve a state's image should be applauded, regardless of how trite it may be.

I think everyone has raised valid points. There can be no doubt that Mississipi still has a very long road ahead in many areas like education. I believe, however, that they are trying to do something about it. I'm still not entirely convinced that a computer buying spree for the schools- especially elementary schools- is the answer.

The South as a whole has been, and is still, maligned by much of the country. Sometimes it's best to ignore this and continue a course- as long as one is moving forward. I think some parts of the South have done better at this than others. I never intended to compare or criticize other Southern states. Each has its own charms and I hope each and every state across the nation can manage to hold on to its identity in the face of bland commercialization.

I think it has a lot to be proud of.... Perhaps more than certain neighboring states, which shall remain anonymous.

I'm not sure how else to interpret that statement.

And I applaud the effort by Mississippians, as evidenced by my statement:

Now that they're raising the self-esteem of Mississippians by showing its great history, they should make an effort to improve their current state in areas where they're lacking. It will give less ammo for those who try to malign the state.

And once again, that goes for any state. This pride and bravado could easily be misplaced. It's almost akin to picking out out a genius at a failing school district, and saying he/she represents the district as a whole.

And let me just repeat my earlier statement for future clarification: It's great for Mississippians to show pride in their state.

I love the "Deep South" ; that would be Mississippi , Alabama , and my home state , Louisiana ! I don't care how twisted or backward we are precieved by the rest of the country . I agree with Tom , stereotypes can only go so far .