Rochester bashes Toronto

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find amazing is that a city that's been dead for half a century (actually even longer then that) which has exciting events like, oh, sitting on a bench for an evening of fun thinks they can even begin to crack jokes at Toronto.

Its like Mayberry poking fun at Chicago. Its just hilarious. Poor Rochester - you guys are desperate.

Its like Buffalo, only smaller, and losing just as much interest.

The thing is, I think this article just shows Rochester's jealousy.

Rochester just wants to have traffic, its so dead that there is nothing there. So they bash Toronto for having it. ;)

I find it funny Rochester people are making fun of Toronto's "inadequate public transit" when they have the largest streetcar network in North America, 3 full subway lines, and an extensive bus system that has very frequent, usable service.

The problem is - Rochester is jealous. Toronto's public transit is so packed because there is life in the city. Rochester is so dead, it has no public transit. LOL

You see - this article is funny! I could pick at it for hours. ;)

I'm unsure what you mean? People in Toronto don't want to move - they like it there. Rochester is another story.

New York is really interesting - upstate is where people want to leave, but NYC was the most booming metropolis in the 90's, yet again, with 1.7 million people added to the area. That's more people added to NYC's metro area then the entire population of most metros in the nation altogether. LOL

Its just interesting...

Rochester isn't that bad and Toronto isn't that good. They're both cities with pros and cons. Toronto is on a different scale than Rochester and they aren't really comparable. The main thing is that the ferry gives both cities something to use and enjoy. What's the big problem?

More than 110,000 people have migrated from NY State to NC in the past 5 years. Many southern states, especially Fla, have seen similar migrations from NY. No doubt places such as Rochester are being emptied out because it is in the USA and easy for these people to move. Torontoites on the other hand have a much more difficult time coming here, so that is the big reason for the difference.

???

I'm unsure of the point you're making.

More than 110,000 people have migrated from NY State to NC in the past 5 years. Many southern states, especially Fla, have seen similar migrations from NY. No doubt places such as Rochester are being emptied out because it is in the USA and easy for these people to move. Torontoites on the other hand have a much more difficult time coming here, so that is the big reason for the difference.

This is my first post here, so I would just like to say 'hello' and to thank ya'll for letting me join.

Next, I would like to know what this post means?

So instead of visiting Toronto yourself you rely on what others tell you? :rolleyes:

I have a very limited travel budget. I rely on the recommendations of others to help me determine where that money should be spent. Until someone can convince me that Toronto is worth the effort, I'll be spending my limited budget in Montreal.

I've also never owned a Mercedes. I apologize for my poverty -rolleyes-

No one has ever been able to convince me what is supposed to be so great about Toronto. The article is actually very much how I picture it in my head.

You say the article is very much how you pictured it in your head, but the article doesn't provide any description of the city's neighborhoods whatsoever. I just read through it again, and none of it describes any parts of the city whatsoever, with the exception that there are concrete buildings (duh, what city doesn't have concrete buildings).

How does whining because these people can't afford $68 for a hotel give you a "picture in your head" of the city? If the article actually described the city's neighborhoods you might have a point, but it doesn't even attempt to. Ignorance is bliss, and the writer of this article, based on what they wrote, is 100% ignorant of the city.

This article has added to the other descriptions I've had of the city, both from it's boosters, and it's detractors, that have thus far made me decide, it's not worth the cost or the effort to visit. It doesn't describe a lot, but it gives you an overall feel of the writers impression. Don't tell me it's slanted coverage, I'm well aware of that, and have taken the writers' bias into account.

I don't know how you can say the article has added anything to other descriptions of the city when the article doesn't describe a single neighborhood in the city. I've read the whole thing several times now and don't see any descriptions whatsoever of any part of the city.

I've also been to Montreal 5 or 6 times and don't see why anyone would think it's any more interesting of a place to visit than Toronto.

"It doesn't describe a lot"

I would say it doesn't describe anything at all. The writer complains that $68 is too much for a hotel room, and that they don't like the color of the lights hanging over the highway. These aren't descriptions of the city.

Just out of curiosity though, what makes Montreal worth visiting when it probably isn't much (if any) cheaper for you to visit than Toronto. Montreal's nice and all, but it's kind of small. Once you've been there a few times you've pretty much seen everything.

Most of what is written in this article is flat-out lies anyways. For example, there are no parking lots next to the CN Tower as the writer says there is.

Of all the cities in the world discussed on these forums, I think most people would agree that Toronto is the most adamently defended by its inhabitants of any city. The chasm in the perception of its stature by those that live there, and those that don't, is a real mystery to me. Many of us, including me, have been there and just don't see what the citizens do.

Archived