Meridian News and Development

tombarnes

• 9 months later...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Threefoot Building Project Moving Ahead

The plan to transform the Art-Deco Threefoot Building into a four star hotel is moving along under the direction of HRI Properties of New Orleans. Actual work could possibly begin later this year. This project is pivotal for the downtown revival of Meridian.

The Meridian Star

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Threefoot Project May Grow

The Threefoot Building project may grow into a larger plan which includes a possible second building (tower?) which would provide additional guest rooms. The final design may include over 200 guest rooms. Possible plans call for the use of adjoining buildings for restaurant and meeting space. As noted in the article, this won't be a quick fix. The hotel could be open in 2009 and the additions may be finished a few years after that.

Note: This isn't precisely new- it's about a month old. I'm not sure how I missed this.

WTOK News

Great to see that the grand old building will be restored, and that other major projects are in the works downtown. I haven't been there in several years, but I'd like to go back and check it out once these projects are completed.

Does anyone know if downtown is being spruced up with streetscape improvements?

• 1 month later...

Threefoot Building Construction May Begin Soon

A final agreement with a "major hotel company" is being hammered out in New Orleans with Historic Restoration Inc. and construction could begin within three months. The finished hotel is expected to have about 200 rooms. I would guess that this means a separate tower or wing would have to be constructed. As for other downtown improvements, I think they are happening, but I have little to substantiate this thought...

The Meridian Star

• 2 months later...

Threefoot Project- Construction to Begin in About 2 Months

Construction work on the conversion of the Threefoot Building is expected to begin in about two months. Selective interior demolition has already begun. If all goes well, the project should still be completed by the end of 2009. HRI Properties is not yet ready to reveal their exact plans for the building, but they have worked with Hilton before. Given the presence of a Hilton Garden Inn in the Meridian market, I'd still bet on another flag for the hotel.

The Meridian Star

• 1 month later...

Threefoot Project.....

The Threefoot Building hotel project will initially have about 120 rooms. A public hearing will be held in July. No further word about brand affiliation at this point. It also appears as though the project could be expanded to include the former S.H. Kress building.

The Meridian Star

I had heard this, but had also heard that the city was in negotiations with several carriers to keep some sort of service there. There will probably be many more places like Meridian which may see their air service disappear if the trends continue as they are. As much as the Essential Air Service Program is seen as a boondoggle and a black hole for tax dollars, there is sometrhing to be said for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Meridian Forges Ahead

A recent article in the Clarion-Ledger notes that Meridian is prospering in spite of the economic downturn. the downtown area is showing signs of life- the MSU Riley Center and the Rosenberg Building are just two examples of recent activity. The Kress Building may possibly be restored as a civil rights museum as well. The Threefoot Building project will likely start in early 2009 under the direction of HRi Properties. A brand for the 120 room hotel has not yet been selected.

The Clarion-Ledger

• 4 months later...

Threefoot Project Update

The renovation of the Threefoot Building could egin as early as January, 2009 if HRI is granted a $5m loan. HRI plans to present its final proposal to the city before Halloween. The hotel is expected to be a Marriott property. I assume this will mean Courtyard by Marriott, but we shall see.

The Meridian Star

• 4 weeks later...

Lala Proposes Hyatt Place- But at the Expense of the Threefoot Project

Meridian businessman Abdul Lala has proposed building a seven or eight story Hyatt Place hotel in downtown Meridian. The only real benefits to the proposal are that the hotel would have on-site parking and would contain a Starbuck's. Yippee. The negatives on this proposal are legion. First of all, the acceptance of this project would automatically doom the Threefoot project to oblivion. Not good. Furthermore, the lala proposal would include the demolition of several historic buildings. Proponents of the new proposal mention that Lala's hotel wouldn't cost taxpayers $14m. The city ought to proceed with the HRI proposal because it would bring new life to a downtown landmark instead of assuring its doom. Investment in the downtown area is simply something that the taxpayers must get used to. I hope the city council will not take leave of their senses.

The Meridian Star

• 1 month later...

Threefoot Project Approved by City Council- Work to Begin in April

At long last, the Meridian city council has approved the renovation of the Threefoot Building into a mid-scale hotel. The adjacent Kress Building will be transformed into meeting and banquet space. Structural analysis work and repairs to the exterior are expected to begin shortly. Major construction is expected to begin in April. This is a giant leap forward for downtown Meridian.

The Meridian Star

Threefoot Project Approved by City Council- Work to Begin in April

At long last, the Meridian city council has approved the renovation of the Threefoot Building into a mid-scale hotel. The adjacent Kress Building will be transformed into meeting and banquet space. Structural analysis work and repairs to the exterior are expected to begin shortly. Major construction is expected to begin in April. This is a giant leap forward for downtown Meridian.

Fantastic news! That building is a gem and it would have been senseless to let it waste away. I hope this means that Lala's proposal is dead. Are there any photos of the Kress building here at UP?

• 1 month later...

Work Begins on the Threefoot Building

Remedial work and exterior repairs have commenced at the Threefoot Building. Demolition of the interior is expected to begin in April. By September, the building should be ready for new interior construction of the hotel. The adjacent parking garage will be demolished at that time. The adjacent Kress building will need additional studies to see how best to proceed with its conversion into meeting and banquet space. if all goes as planned, the hotel should be open by December, 2010.

The Meridian Star

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

While the HRI project appears to be at a standstill, I still hold out hope that something good will be done with the building. It's too important to waste. Then again, I'm stunned at the city council's intransigence on this matter. Meridian really needs a real hotel- all the new Holiday Inns in the world won't bring conventions to town.

• 5 months later...

What a shame this had to happen. I noticed some of the commenters wanted to see the Three Foot building torn down completely. I know it's never fair to draw conclusions from anonymous respondents on news articles, but perhaps someone could tell whether or not that is that a widely held sentiment in Meridian? Sure hope not. It is, IIRC, one of the ten tallest structures in Mississippi outside of Jackson, and clearly a giant in Meridian--you can easily see it driving by on the interstate to the south. I recently learned it is also listed as one of America's Most Endangered Places. I'm no expert on the city, but my impression is that it comes closer to defining Meridian than any other landmark there--the crowning achievement of an already very attractive downtown.

Archived