Opryland USA

rocky top buzz

I don't think it really was a big improvment for Gaylord. It seems like I read a year or two ago that Gaylord sold its 25% stake in the mall so now the only stake it has left in the mall is the fact that it owns the land that the mall sits on. If they sold their stake in the mall it they probably saw it as a bad investment/mistake.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at Opry Mills back in December, I noticed 2 things. One, it was very very crowded. Two, the mall had quite a bit of store turnover from the last time I was there in the spring of 2003. Some quick questions that maybe someone can answer. Is the mall pumping more into the city coffers than the amusement park did? When you are at Opry Mills on a Thursday evening in April are there many folks there?

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to post a little rumor I heard from a friend yesterday. He is really involved with the American Coaster Enthusiast, ACE. He writes a few article for them from time to time and he told me yesterday that he had heard Gaylord may be getting back into the theme park business in Nashville by building a new Opryland Park. It would be off Music Valley Drive somewhere but not sure. I know there are still large area that could be bought for development.

Again this is only a rumor but maybe some of our esteemed friends in the media could check into this. Could this be the reason Gaylord pushed for the tax incentive zone?

Just something for you guys to chew on .......again. :)

Just wanted to post a little rumor I heard from a friend yesterday. He is really involved with the American Coaster Enthusiast, ACE. He writes a few article for them from time to time and he told me yesterday that he had heard Gaylord may be getting back into the theme park business in Nashville by building a new Opryland Park. It would be off Music Valley Drive somewhere but not sure. I know there are still large area that could be bought for development.

Again this is only a rumor but maybe some of our esteemed friends in the media could check into this. Could this be the reason Gaylord pushed for the tax incentive zone?

One can sure hope and pray. I'm still feeling the sting of losing Opryland. I miss it every summer. :cry:

Sorry Guys, I updated the image to make it more clear for those not familiar with the area.

I thought that farm area of the Pennington Bend was privately owned and the owners weren't selling. Oh how I miss Opryland. I can still hear/feel the bass drone from "Bones on the Beach" (the Chaos rollercoaster soundtrack).

oh you suck! something more for me to obsess over. haha. i just got back from a stay at the opryland hotel with my girlfriend and it brought back a lot of memories of the park. just think of the pull they could have if they built a park on that land next to the mall and hotel. there would be three big time attractions side by side. i could really see the people pouring in if this took shape. and just think, halloween in the park would be back!!!!! :D

One problem, though, it won't be the Opryland we all remember and grew up with. I don't see how they're going to "recreate" all the classics as they were. :cry:

I'm not holding my breath for Dolly to build here; I keep hearing these rumors, so until I see her on the news with a construction hat and a shovel, I'll continue breathing.

I think the Opryland area would be perfect for a NEW theme park. No, it wouldn't be the old, but that's part of the beauty. We can learn from past mistakes. One past mistake was building between a river and highway. Will they do that again? If so, they need to learn how to build across streets! I would love nothing more than a new themepark attraction. Maybe we should combine it with the Zoo!!!

OK, I know it's an old rumor, but several years ago (I think when O'land closed), there were some announcements by Disney quoted locally in the Tennessean that they were scouting the area east of the airport for a music related theme park. It wasn't going to be nearly as large as D'world and their other parks, and if built, it would have been originally at least, less ride-intensive.

They must have ditched the idea. I can't help but think that it would have been an outstanding idea, and Disney would be one of only a few companies that could pull it off. Think about how much music they have produced and how a park with studios in Music City would help their creative development beyond the bubble gum variety.

The Nashville Zoo at Grassmere has more potential than probably any zoo in America. The last thing we need is Gaylord Zoo in Nashville.

I miss the Rock-n-Roll roller coaster. One a brighter note, Opryland lacked the 'serious' rides/coasters to attrack the Cedar Point lovers; so maybe a new theme park = new (and better) coasters

OK, I know it's an old rumor, but several years ago (I think when O'land closed), there were some announcements by Disney quoted locally in the Tennessean that they were scouting the area east of the airport for a music related theme park. It wasn't going to be nearly as large as D'world and their other parks, and if built, it would have been originally at least, less ride-intensive.

They must have ditched the idea. I can't help but think that it would have been an outstanding idea, and Disney would be one of only a few companies that could pull it off. Think about how much music they have produced and how a park with studios in Music City would help their creative development beyond the bubble gum variety.

I never heard that rumor, but I agree that it would have been great. I don't think we need 2 dozen rollercoasters to be successful. We should milk our music roots for all they're worth

The Nashville Zoo at Grassmere has more potential than probably any zoo in America. The last thing we need is Gaylord Zoo in Nashville.

I miss the Rock-n-Roll roller coaster. One a brighter note, Opryland lacked the 'serious' rides/coasters to attrack the Cedar Point lovers; so maybe a new theme park = new (and better) coasters

i'm not sure if visitors will have enough nerve left to ride roller coasters after they drive on briley parkway. i guess a good advertisement for them could be "our adventure park is so thrilling that even the drive up here is white knuckled!"

I never heard that rumor, but I agree that it would have been great. I don't think we need 2 dozen rollercoasters to be successful. We should milk our music roots for all they're worth

I have absolutely no doubt that a Disney music park in Nashville would work and would be astoundingly successful. However, I doubt if they would ever really consider investing here. I've always thought that a Branson type development would be the best thing for Nashville. Adjacent to the Opryland Hotel is where it should be.

I have absolutely no doubt that a Disney music park in Nashville would work and would be astoundingly successful. However, I doubt if they would ever really consider investing here. I've always thought that a Branson type development would be the best thing for Nashville. Adjacent to the Opryland Hotel is where it should be.

No Hankster No. We don't need anything Branson here. Branson is the Devil! :D I would love to see the old Opryland with better rides.

i'm not sure if visitors will have enough nerve left to ride roller coasters after they drive on briley parkway. i guess a good advertisement for them could be "our adventure park is so thrilling that even the drive up here is white knuckled!"

LOL...too funny! I guess post a sign on the I-40 off ramps to Briley that says 'Your adventure begins here'

Branson can't be the next Nashville. The main reason is that there is no room for the development. They are busting at the seams now. Geography just wouldn't allow it to get much bigger. The population is only about 6,000. It will continue to be a small resort town...Nashville has nothing to worry about.

branson is really more in competition with pigeon forge. small population, a lot of visitors, same hokey country shows. sorry, just not a big fan of country(unless is true country i.e. hank williams sr. cryin in my beer kind of country). :P

Archived