Cities in SC population 20,000 to 30,000

motonenterprises

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think any of SC's smaller (non-resort) cities have a true "skyline" per se, but I'll go with Florence in this one (even though it's technically not in the 20,000 to 30,000 range). Its population (30,267) is close enough to count for me.

I've been through Greenwood tons of times and through downtown just a few, and I really haven't seen anything resembling a "skyline," just a nice collection of small historic structures... I'd love to vote for Aiken, but we're in the same boat... no talls in the historic downtown, and no location with multiple talls close together...

I don't think any of SC's smaller (non-resort) cities have a true "skyline" per se, but I'll go with Florence in this one (even though it's technically not in the 20,000 to 30,000 range). Its population (30,267) is close enough to count for me.

I've been through Greenwood tons of times and through downtown just a few, and I really haven't seen anything resembling a "skyline," just a nice collection of small historic structures... I'd love to vote for Aiken, but we're in the same boat... no talls in the historic downtown, and no location with multiple talls close together...

What do you qualify as a'resort' city then?

I beg to differ. Greenwood has one that is 9 stories and some that are 6 or more stories. Definetly has taller buildings than Aiken I'm sure. What does Aiken have downtown as far as height goes? Just curious.

I beg to differ. Greenwood has one that is 9 stories and some that are 6 or more stories. Definetly has taller buildings than Aiken I'm sure. What does Aiken have downtown as far as height goes? Just curious.

Talls in dt Aiken? Ha, Nothing... And there never will be... Just church steeples... The city is very strict on downtown building... There's a 6 story building on a hill just west of downtown, but only 4 are visible from the main road on the front... The hospital is 6, and an industrial building is 9-10, but those aren't close to downtown...

I guess I need to pay better attention next time I'm in Greenwood though ;)

Greenwood's downtown is a unique place. Its skyline is fairly under-rated as there are quite a few good sized large buildings down there. Equally impressive as Florence IMO, if not more so. Its just not on the beaten path so much, so fewer people see it.

Skylines cen be composed of any landmark structure. Church steeples and small protrusions from buildins are often what make them up. Larger cities have tall buldings, but the more interesting ones to me often come from smaller towns that have more to show than skyscrapers.

The 20,000 - 30,000 city population is little restrictive. If we call the five cities that have UAs with over 100,000 the "real" cities in the state, that takes out Columbia, Charleston, Greenville, Spartanburg, and Myrtle Beach. Then we can take the remaining small towns and look for "skylines" which perhaps would mean at least 2 or 3 buildings with seven or more above-ground floors (7 stories is the standard for fire-related issues since ladder trucks cannot reach higher). From what I have seen, that would leave only six cities in the state with "skylines" as such. The six are:

Florence

Anderson

Sumter

Rock Hill

Greenwood

Orangeburg

Most of these towns had a decent-sized hotel built downtown in the booming 1920s. Some developer built the same style of high rise apartment buildings in these towns in 1950s. And then there are the other miscellaneous buildings and perhaps college structures like dorms.

I think Florence has the best skyline, especially with the hospital complexes near downtown. Of these six towns, Florence has always felt the biggest to me in terms of the downtown, etc. Anderson, Rock Hill, and Sumter all have small skylines as well.

Greenwood indeed has some nice historic buildings. I think there is a 9-story old bank building, a 6 or so story old hotel, and a 1950s apartment building with 8 or so floors. The hospital building there is pretty tall and not too far from downtown if I recall correctly.

Orangeburg actually has a better skyline than some may realize thanks to the universities there. Downtown has a 1920s hotel and 1950s apartment building that are in the 7-8 story range. SC State University has a 14-story dorm (perhaps the tallest building in a non-metropolitan county in SC?), and there are perhaps a few other dorms with enough floors at either SC State or Claflin University.

Basically, if a small town was a decent sized town in SC between say 1920 and 1960, it ended up with a small skyline of sorts. Most of the taller buildings however were build in previous times when downtowns were more important.

Good to see you back on board, Urban Southerner. :thumbsup:

Rock Hill actually does have a mini-skyline downtown. You also have some buildings on Winthrop's campus that make for a sight, and because Piedmont Medical Center sits on a hill, it can actually look somewhat impressive at night, especially viewing the recently-completed women's health center. And let's not forget about the smokestacks from the textile mills.

The tallest building in Orangeburg is Sojourner Truth Hall on the campus of SC State University, which is a women's dormitory (my sister resides there). And as you've pointed out, there are about two 1920's or so hotels located downtown.

• 1 year later...

Sumter-sc downtown is beginning to shape up.We have a few buildings to show off . The city-county office bulding,Tuomey Regional Medical Center,Liberty Manor,Court House,The Jim Clyburn Intermodal Center which is UNDER COSTRUCTION,the Library,The Thompson CONSTRUCTION NEW HQ on the corner of Hampton & Main street.

Archived