Asheville Buildings and Streetscapes (pt IV)

monsoon

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:) Nice photos again!

Scottish Rite Cathedral is a "Masonic Temple", which most cities have today. They once had great architectural masterpieces in most major cities. Charlotte and Winston-Salem had Masonic temples in their downtowns at one time. This is one of the few that still stands. It's the work of Smith and Carrier, if I'm not mistaken. I know the front is from 1913, but I think the back part is older? I want to say it's from the 1880's. I would have to look it up sometime. It's among the oldest standing structures in downtown.

If you stand in the parking lot next to the Masonic Temple and look at the building, you can see where there used to be a building standing where the parking lot is now. How? There's a little indentation in the side of the Temple with windows opening up on it. It obviously was once an air shaft. Kinda groovy.

Archived