JCPenney - Hickory Hollow Mall

memphian

I was just at HHM this past Saturday Night. I observed a fairly healthy traffic flow throughout the mall. I saw people with shopping bags - which is a good thing. The JCPenney anchor was obviously closed but the rest of the mall was in good shape.

The product offerings were not what I would prefer - especially at Hecht's, but that is just because I have rarely ever found anything good there (even the nice ones at Green Hills and Cool Springs stink to me).

Hopefully Macy's will be able to pump some new life into the mall. I think overall this is just a product of the changing retail environment. years ago when HHM was anchored by Cain-Sloan and Castner Knott Co. it was a destination. Now that the stores there are the same as anywhere else in the US - who cares? The retail environment is overbuilt and too blah.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the story. Anyone know anything about these guys? Is this good for HHM or bad? I don't see how it could be bad!

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...NESS01/60516006

To quote Chris Rock - "Every city has 2 kinds of malls. The mall that people go to and the mall that people used to go to." I think Hickory Hollow has fallen into the 2nd category. I lived out in that area for 10 years and don't regret the day I moved away from it.

With Cool Springs just finishing the renovation, it's going to take a lot more to get people to come back to Hickory Hollow.

I just wrote an extensive post on my feelings about this matter but decided to erase it because I think I can sum it up in one sentence: I think it is disgusting the way the city of Nashville and the people of Nashville treat the Hickory Hollow area!!!

does hickory hollow really need another sporting goods store? if they'd listen to what the people really wanted, they'd know to put in a music/video store. we have countless number of people walking into our store asking if we sell cds or dvds.

I hear stories about car theft, etc. being really bad at HH, but I never hear the numbers for the other malls for comparison purposes. What are they hiding???? Where are the numbers if they are so much better?

does hickory hollow really need another sporting goods store? if they'd listen to what the people really wanted, they'd know to put in a music/video store. we have countless number of people walking into our store asking if we sell cds or dvds.

Agreed. If by some miracle they would have snagged a Virgin Music Megastore like the one on Michigan Ave. in Chicago, people from all over the city would have come.

A music store isn't going to take up 2 floors the size of JCP. I like the idea of a sports store. I don't know if any of you have ever been to a Dick's Sporting Goods, but they have a huge store in the Mall of GA. I think that store is bigger than JCP in HHM.

Unfortunately, from the look of their website (www.steveandbarrys.com), it looks like these people only sell clothing. Why not sporting goods. Golf, Baseball, football? I think if they are only selling clothes, we have enough of those kind of stores. Give us something worthwhile

A music store isn't going to take up 2 floors the size of JCP. I like the idea of a sports store. I don't know if any of you have ever been to a Dick's Sporting Goods, but they have a huge store in the Mall of GA. I think that store is bigger than JCP in HHM.

Unfortunately, from the look of their website (www.steveandbarrys.com), it looks like these people only sell clothing. Why not sporting goods. Golf, Baseball, football? I think if they are only selling clothes, we have enough of those kind of stores. Give us something worthwhile

it's not nessesarily about taking up the full area of JCP. it's about putting a store in that customers would actually shop in. right now the mall is saturated with athletic wear stores. the mall needs something different. a virgin megastore or even a tower records would be an awesome addition to the mall. the mall seems to be in a mindset that if they keep putting the same old stuff in there, then it'll sell. it simply does not work. oh, and we had a guy come into electronic express and said that he's opening up a shoe store in the mall. wow, like we really need another one of those. maybe next they'll put in another cell phone place :sick:

On the Dick's front, the Dick's Sporting Goods at Providence in Mt. Juliet should open soon if not already, and they've signed for a store in the Nashville West center as well. I think I might have read about a 3rd Dick's maybe in Sumner County, but don't know much about that.

Almost in Sumner County but not quite...Dick's will open in between Old Navy and Best Buy in Rivergate.

Agreed. If by some miracle they would have snagged a Virgin Music Megastore like the one on Michigan Ave. in Chicago, people from all over the city would have come.

I'm not sure about this. I've been in the Chicago store and think of HH which can't support Media Play (ok, that's their fault) or Sam Goody's or Borders. Or maybe this is exactly what is needed

Tough call for HH: go high or low. Steve and Barry's have a well-proven track record in areas much lessor than Antioch, so I really think this may be what HH has needed - a store that fits its' client base. But with comments like 'The mall is dead; it's beyond repair. Send it on over to www.deadmalls.com' makes one think an interjection of high-end retail will be the only thing to save it. HH has an image problem but a diverse base from upper Brentwood to Tusculam to Priest Lake to Smyrna, If I had all the answers...

Steve & Barry's University Sportswear currently operates over 130 casual and collegiate apparel stores across the United States. With an average size of 50,000 sq.ft., and many stores exceeding 100,000 sq.ft., Steve & Barry's offers a huge selection of clothing for the entire family; including jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, polos, cargos, collegiate wear, and much more for men, women, and children. A major reason for the company's incredible success has been it's continued dedication to keep prices as low as possible on quality apparel for all seasons, while creating fun and friendly store environments across the country. With such low prices, Steve & Barry's continues to revolutionize the apparel industry and prove high quality doesn't have to mean high price.

Top competitors include Old Navy, TJX Companies and Target

This is a great thing for Hickory Hollow Mall and will strengthen the mix there adding to Macy's Dillards and Sears.

• 3 months later...

Steve and Barry's is now open. Stopped by today to check out the new store and was impressed. The store has hardwood floors throughout. Looks like they haven't gotten all cash registers installed yet, but checkout lines managing well. Also, some areas of empty floor space would seem to indicate that not all inventory has arrived yet.

Prices are amazing (<$8 for sweatshirts/T-shirts). Quality looks good - especially for the price. I'd guess around 25% of the clothing is university related. The majority of items would work for people of any age but seems to have some focus towards teens - young adults. UT and TSU fans will be happy.

Folks, for those of you who say the mall is dead; this is definitely an exciting new offering for HHM that nothing else currently in Nashville can match for selection/quality/price. Go check it out...

Hey, check it out - a post from me BEFORE midnight...

They have (for guys) some nice polos/long sleeve pull-overs that can be worn to work, sweats, warm ups, jackets (mostly collegiate), some pants, and LOTS of tee shirts. Everything is Steve and Barry brand.

The interesting thing of the university tee shirts/sweatshirts is that everything I saw looked really nice - good taste, popular yet not too 'trendy'. Not a large selection of UT or TSU stuff, but what they have is really cool. Lot of Duke, Michigan, etc. but also FSU, Notre Dame, Florida, LSU, IU, UConn, Ohio State, and Texas to name a few. No UK stuff - go figure! Hmmmm......

Interesting: I overheard at the checkout that this is the first store offer women's clothing (ranges from casual work to tee-shirts as well). Also, heard the same person say they planned to open, I think I heard correctly, 81 stores in the next year.

steve and barry's has done pretty well as far as i can tell. i've seen quite a few shoppers with their bags. i still haven't noticed a upswing in people actually coming to the mall however. on a side note, we had a snatch and grab at our store the other day and i chased them on foot out into the parking lot where they got into a car that was waiting on them. when i called security i asked if they had gotten it on camera and they said no. i find this funny since all of a sudden they have the manpower to keep kids from coming in the mall on weekends at night.

Archived