JCPenney - Hickory Hollow Mall

memphian

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A small observation, one mall in Nashville begins to cater to the urban crowd and now it is considered rundown. Nashville still has a long way to go before the shopping in this city can be diversified. I guess the urban crowd should stay where we belong huh.
I've participated in a lot of mall threads and I can tell you, that seems to be the preveiling attitude when a mall starts adding urban stores. It's such a waste to walk away from mall after mall to avoid diversity, as many shoppers and retailers do.

I'll excuse myself from this thread because some obviously feel that their dollars are greener than mine.

nobody made this a race thing. you simply have a chip on your shoulder. instead of playing the race card, actually go out and open your eyes. nashville has become pretty diverse.

Ah, a fellow Antioch resident. I'm one of a dwindling handful of people who claim lifelong residency there in one of the most transient sections of Nashville.

i was born in antioch, then we moved when i was two. my parents told me that we moved because of the schools.

nobody made this a race thing. you simply have a chip on your shoulder. instead of playing the race card, actually go out and open your eyes. nashville has become pretty diverse.

Sure they did. Look at this quote from fieldmarshal:

"The simple fact remains that unless HHM can attract a lot of the wealthier Caucasian shoppers that have fled elsewhere (and I can't forsee how that is even possible - it's not the mall's fault, it's the situation in Antioch itself, they are going to continue to slide)."

"The simple fact remains that unless HHM can attract a lot of the wealthier Caucasian shoppers that have fled elsewhere (and I can't forsee how that is even possible - it's not the mall's fault, it's the situation in Antioch itself, they are going to continue to slide)."

I'm sorry, I hope I didn't make it sound like only the White folks have money to spend. It generally, though, tended to be in the past that White middle-class women did a lot of the shopping at HHM, and they are largely absent these days, partly because of the issue on the perception of safety, and also because of White flight out of Antioch itself. HHM not only doesn't have a lot of those wealthier Caucasian shoppers that made it successful for 2 decades, it doesn't have all that many people of wealthier or upper middle class means of ANY race (such as posters like FutureArchitect, whom stated his preference for Green Hills or Cool Springs).

I think my initial post was misunderstood. The demographics I was initially referring to was the more mature shoppers. If you notice, most of the retail in HHM caters to the younger shopper who has less money to spend. The only two stores in HHM that I would even go to are Dillard and Hetchs and then immediately leave without walking through the mall.

i stand corrected.

Has JC Penny at HHM closed? If so, it's going to be downhill from there for HHM. I was hoping it's just a rumor, but sounds like it isn't.

I'm new to this website. I've lived in Piccadilly Square subdivision (about 2 miles north of HHM, "as the crow flies") and I am uncomfortable with the crowds and behavior there. I'm not sure just what HHM is (or is trying to be), but it's not a middle-class mall. I moved here from Chicago in December 2003, and quickly regretted having purchased a house in Antioch. This area is high-crime, high-traffic and high-stupid-behavior. The friends I've made since movin' here don't even like to come to this area, either to visit or go out to do anything. I will not go to the movies anywhere in Antioch -- I head west on Harding to Green Hills Mall. I am now looking for moderately-priced houses in the Hermitage and Old Hickory areas.

Archived