Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO)

cityboi

I just saw a new report showing the steel beems being put in place for the first building. The FedEX Hub is actually going to be like a campus rather than one big building. Its going to have a total of 9 buildings. The 3rd runway at PTI will be complete in time for the FedEx opening.

I've been away from here for a while! I'm in NYC now and I miss my hometown a bit! Will that 3rd runway help out in counteracting the decline that is going on at PTI? I wish I could fly right into GSO without spending so much money!

• 1 month later...

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Piedmont Triad International Airport Expansion

Will this new runway cause GSO to grow in passenger flights and impact RDU and CLT?

Unless PTI gets a major low-cost carrier or another airline runs another promotion similar to Continental's "Peanuts" fares from the 90's (when companies bussed people to PTI due to reduced fares), I doubt PTI will ever be much competition for RDU or CLT.

PTI will have much larger runways than RDU. It seems RDU will need to expand its runways if it wants to compete. But, that state park next to RDU will now allow for their real needed expansion.

Raleigh-Durham International Airport

Total passengers: 9,422,112

Runways

5L-23R: 10,000 ft

5R-23L: 7,500 ft

14-32: 3,550 ft

Total daily flights: 494 flights

Daily departures: 247

Charlotte Douglas International Airport

Total passengers: 29,639,949

Runways

5/23 7,502 ft

18L/36R 8,674 ft

18R/36L 10,000 ft

9,000 ft (under construction)

Total daily flights: 1,246 flights

Daily departures: 623

Piedmont Triad International Airport

Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point

Total passengers: 2,165,488

Runways

5L/23R 10,000 ft

5R/23L 9,000 ft (under construction)

14/32 6,380 ft

Total daily flights 148 flights

Daily departures: 74

That new runway is being built mainly for FedEx. When that opens in a couple years it could affect cargo operations at RDU and CLT...but the new runway will have very little effect on Passenger operations at GSO. From a passenger standpoint GSO is not a congested airport so its not like the Airlines were banging down the doors of GSO demanding a new runway so they could schedule more flights. GSO has had to capacity for airlines to more than double their current operations...but the airlines have chosen not to do that.

Something that could bump up passenger numbers for GSO is the introduction of Skybus service later this month. Super low fares could again attract people from CLT and RDU back to GSO. However it is only going to be 1 flight a day to Columbus...not exactly a high demand destination.

That new runway is being built mainly for FedEx. When that opens in a couple years it could affect cargo operations at RDU and CLT...but the new runway will have very little effect on Passenger operations at GSO. From a passenger standpoint GSO is not a congested airport so its not like the Airlines were banging down the doors of GSO demanding a new runway so they could schedule more flights. GSO has had to capacity for airlines to more than double their current operations...but the airlines have chosen not to do that.

Something that could bump up passenger numbers for GSO is the introduction of Skybus service later this month. Super low fares could again attract people from CLT and RDU back to GSO. However it is only going to be 1 flight a day to Columbus...not exactly a high demand destination.

You don't think that in none FedEx hub cycles that the passenger carries will not use the new 10,000ft runway also?

I'd think the airport will use both runways and that with the addition of new gates in one of the concourses at GSO that this airport could attract big lowest cost airlines.

Airline could be very smat to located at GSO do to the short driving distance from RDU and CLT and central Piedmont North Carolina.

I had a hard time understanding what you wrote. The grammer is terrible. So I will repond to what I think you wrote:

I doubt very few passenger airlines will use the new runway. It was designed specifically for the FedEx hub and does not have good access to the passenger terminal for airplanes. There is plenty of capacity on the current runways for existing passenger traffic and any forseeable expansion...so there would be no need to use the new FedEx runway for overflow.

With the price of gas now at $3 and rising it is only going to be harder for GSO airlines to draw people from CLT and RDU. Especially since right now most fares are cheaper at those airports than at GSO.

• 1 month later...

It's been quite a while since I've driven up inside the terminal area at PTI. I did so this afternoon and it's a very depressing sight. The terminal is outdated and appears to be in need of a good scrubbing or renovation. The entrance and the signage is very small-townish and doesn't scream MAJOR METROPOLITAN AREA at all. I realize the new entrance is only temporary but the 2 land road leading in with all of the trees surrounding you makes you feel like you're in the country. The trees truly beautify the area but it feels like you're out in the middle-of-nowhere. There really isn't anything to let you know you're at the airport except a few DOT big green signs. Most airports have a grand entrance on the roadway leading in with artwork and modern signage of their own. The signs around the airport look like DOT standard issued information signs (think signs that tell you what lodging and gas stations are at the next exit). The online website looks like something that caters to elementary school aged children, not a modern one that makes you feel like you're flying into a professional place. A big complaint I have is the airport's code being "GSO" instead of PTI or something that represents the Triad region. Is there anywhere we could get the FAA to change that? I feel if PTI made some serious cosmetic changes and upgraded their facilities to the modern standards of today then it would reep some serious rewards. IMO, the place is badly managed.

• 5 weeks later...

Allegiant Air will begin offering flights to Ft. Lauderdale in the coming months. Allegiant Air currently offers three weekly flights to St. Petersburg and...Sanford, FL. :huh:

http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/stories...ml?surround=lfn

There is also a contest to celebrate the new flights where Allegiant will be giving away two tickets to Ft. Lauderdale. You can enter the contest here:

http://www.flyfrompti.com/fortlauderdale/

Does anybody else think PTI's website is juvenile looking?

Does the city of Greensboro operate the airport or is it independent of the city/county? I think it would be better to turn over the reigns to somebody who knows how to run an airport. I would say PART, but they don't have any experience at all in operating airports. There was talk on another forum I visit that PTI should be run by a retired airline CEO or Exec that has great connections to all airlines and can get this place moving again.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived