Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO)

cityboi

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are the current "NON-STOP" flights from PTI

Non-stop flights from RDU

Raleigh-Durham also has a non-stop to Mexico as well on Delta and use to on American Airlines.

It use to have a non-stop to Bermuda and France.

There are currently non-stops to: United Kingdom, Mexico and Canada

In Comparison here are the nonstop flights from Charlotte

Albany, NY

Allentown, PA

Asheville, NC

Atlanta, GA

Baltimore, MD

Birmingham, AL

Brockton, MA

Boston

Buffalo, NY

Charleston, SC

Chicago, IL

Cleveland, OH

Columbus, OH

Dallas, TX

Dayton, OH

Denver, CO

Detroit, MI

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Fort Myers, FL

Greensboro, NC

Houma, LA

Houston, TX

Indianapolis, IN

Jacksonville, FL

Kansas City, MO

Las Vegas, NV

Los Angeles, CA

Louisville, KY

Memphis, TN

Miami, FL

Minneapolis, MN

Myrtle Beach, SC

Nashua, NH

Nashville, TN

New York, NY

Norfolk, VA

Orlando, FL

Pensacola, FL

Philadelphia, PA

Phoenix, AZ

Pittsburgh, PA

Providence, RI

Racine, WI

Raleigh, NC

Richmond, VA

Rochester, NY

San Diego, CA

San Francisco, CA

Sarasota, FL

Savannah, GA

Seattle, WA

St. Louis, MO

Syracuse, NY

Tampa, FL

Washington, DC

West Palm Beach, FL

Wilmington, NC

York, PA

I think there are a number of other non-stops not listed here. New Orleans and Toronto are ones that comes to mind and of course all the Latin America/Carribean/etc stops but not sure if you were going for just domestic. Never the less, congrats to PTI! That's awesome news. Hopefully it will benefit not only PTI, but also CLT and RDU with regards to maybe lowering fares even more b/c of price competition.

So, if it's Piedmont Triad International, why do all of the lists of flights in this thread list the destination as Greensboro? If it's Piedmont Triad International, why is it still GSO not PTI (which is available by the way)?

Thats just the way it was set up many years ago, I doubt it will change.

Just to clarify...Skybus is not putting in a hub. They don't do connections. If someone flew from Columbus to LA via Greensboro on Skybus they would have to buy 2 tickets, check in twice and pick up their bags in Greensboro and re-check them in. Skybus is running a model that focuses exclusively on local traffic...not connections.

I never see RDU listed as the Raleigh airport...it's always Raleigh-Durham. It's typical that the airport can't REALLY represent the entire Triad, even though it is funded and supported by the entire Triad.

It should be PTI rather than GSO (just as RDU is the designation for Raleigh and Durham's airport) given that all three cities fund it and I'm sure a pretty high percentage of passengers are from Winston-Salem/Forsyth County.

It seems to me that referring to the airport as Greensboro makes sense because it is a specific city - people will know where that is. Piedmont Triad means nothing to someone from outside the state (or possibly region). Raleigh-Durham also makes sense because it refers to specific cities. I'm not advocating that the airport change to Greensboro International or Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem International (heaven help us!)

It seems to me that referring to the airport as Greensboro makes sense because it is a specific city - people will know where that is. Piedmont Triad means nothing to someone from outside the state (or possibly region). Raleigh-Durham also makes sense because it refers to specific cities. I'm not advocating that the airport change to Greensboro International or Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem International (heaven help us!)

Maybe they should name it (GWI) Greensboro Winston International ( after the two larger cities in the area)

Or how about Winston-Salem International? The point is, it often seems as if W-S is not served by any airport and could be a detriment to business development in the city. It is as much W-S airport as Greensboro's and should be titled as such - as it was supposed to be from the beginning.

Even some responses in this thread refer to it as the Greensboro airport. I like the idea of Greensboro-Winston International (GWI). How can anyone expect regional cooperation when this situation exists (even folk in W-S refer to it as Greensboro's airport). It is not a situation with a really dominant city as is most other situations, and it is Raleigh-Durham with Raleigh definitely dominant over Durham; an example of real regional coorperation) as a negligible 4 or 5K in population is the difference (until Greensboro annexes another 15K in response to the recent W-S annexation).

It is, of course W-S's fault for not negotiating a location straddling the county line, but unless Greensboro allows some recogonition of W-S, it will only strenthen attempts at revitalizing Smith Reynolds, which is not good for PTI (I mean GWI).

W-S is it's own metro area of 500K plus, with no airport because if you ask to by a ticket to W-S from any agent anywhere, they say well there's no service there, but the Greesboro Airport is only 15 miles away. This is rediculous as many metro airports are further from their respective downtowns than W-S is from PTI.

If there is any regionalism here, a solution will be determined, but W-S seems happy to be a second rate citizen and reference, and Greensboro certainly would not push it because single, national recognition is good business.

Even some responses in this thread refer to it as the Greensboro airport. I like the idea of Greensboro-Winston International (GWI). How can anyone expect regional cooperation when this situation exists (even folk in W-S refer to it as Greensboro's airport). It is not a situation with a really dominant city as is most other situations, and it is Raleigh-Durham with Raleigh definitely dominant over Durham; an example of real regional coorperation) as a negligible 4 or 5K in population is the difference (until Greensboro annexes another 15K in response to the recent W-S annexation).

It is, of course W-S's fault for not negotiating a location straddling the county line, but unless Greensboro allows some recogonition of W-S, it will only strenthen attempts at revitalizing Smith Reynolds, which is not good for PTI (I mean GWI).

W-S is it's own metro area of 500K plus, with no airport because if you ask to by a ticket to W-S from any agent anywhere, they say well there's no service there, but the Greesboro Airport is only 15 miles away. This is rediculous as many metro airports are further from their respective downtowns than W-S is from PTI.

If there is any regionalism here, a solution will be determined, but W-S seems happy to be a second rate citizen and reference, and Greensboro certainly would not push it because single, national recognition is good business.

What can we do, or who can we contact to change this? I vote for GWI.

One reason why its called the Greensboro airport, has to do with the fact there are two airports in the region. Dont forget Winstin has Smith Reynolds Airport. So when people dont say PTI its just easier to say Greensboro airport to avoid confusion. Technically PTI is not in Greensboro. The city made an agreement with Winston and High Point not to do so. Instead Greensboro just annexed around the airport.

Smith Reynolds is a nice regional airport but it likely will never see the kind of passenger traffic PTI is seeing. Thats not to say that Smith Reynolds wont ever become a much more important airport but PTI will always be the prominent airport for this area.

Just curious how many people on here think that Skybus will be succusful and will be in Greensboro for a long time? I was wondering because I have read a few articles where some airline analysts are already predicting the demise of Skybus and that it will have a short term life. Will this be another flash in the pan for Greensboro a la Eastwind Airlines or Continental Lite....or is this going to be something where Skybus will be here 10 years from now?

Just curious how many people on here think that Skybus will be succusful and will be in Greensboro for a long time? I was wondering because I have read a few articles where some airline analysts are already predicting the demise of Skybus and that it will have a short term life. Will this be another flash in the pan for Greensboro a la Eastwind Airlines or Continental Lite....or is this going to be something where Skybus will be here 10 years from now?

if they keep offering those competitve prices without losing money, they should be around for a long time. The way they handle their operation keeps them from losing money. They would lose money on alot of delays. the airports in the destination cities tend not to be the biggest airport in the city but secondary airports with less air traffic. For example, the flight to LA does not take you to Los Angeles Intl Airport but another airport in Los Angeles which in effect cuts down on flight delays.

The prices of these flights are HUGE savings and I think if you were taking a flight to Los Angeles from NC, youd more than likely depart from PTI.

I haven't had the time to respond in this thread yet, but I am extremely glad PTI got this hub!

As much as I would love to have "GSO" changed to "GWI" I think it might cause some confusion with BWI in Baltimore. Ever since their announcement at PTI, I've been trying to study their business model. Apparently, every seat is not $10. There are only 10 seats for $10, basically on a first-come, first served basis. So most people will be looking to pay around $40 round-trip. On-board, everything from food and drinks to pillows cost extra.

I haven't had the time to respond in this thread yet, but I am extremely glad PTI got this hub!

As much as I would love to have "GSO" changed to "GWI" I think it might cause some confusion with BWI in Baltimore. Ever since their announcement at PTI, I've been trying to study their business model. Apparently, every seat is not $10. There are only 10 seats for $10, basically on a first-come, first served basis. So most people will be looking to pay around $40 round-trip. On-board, everything from food and drinks to pillows cost extra.

Even still, $40 round trip is a hell of a deal. It cost some people that much just to fill their gas tanks.

Most airlines charge for anything beyond softdrinks/water as far as beverages. I really like the $2 bag of snack mix that you could get for 75 cents at a convenience store... and let's not forget the $5 snack box!! (American/NWA that I know of)

Now when I flew Continental last year, everything was complimentary..

What can we do, or who can we contact to change this? I vote for GWI.

Since, as someone pointed out, GWI sounds like BWI, it could be changed to GWS. I mean what's up with calling it an international airport? There are so few flights as it is...

As far as the name change goes, write a letter to the editor of the W-SJ and GN&R. I imagine the Journal's readers would be more receptive to the change. And, I guess it's the FAA whose ultimate jurisdiction the airport code change would fall under, so write Dole, Burr, Foxx and Coble.

Also, is it just me, but had anyone ever even heard of this airline before they started looking in this area?

Most airlines charge for anything beyond softdrinks/water as far as beverages. I really like the $2 bag of snack mix that you could get for 75 cents at a convenience store... and let's not forget the $5 snack box!! (American/NWA that I know of)

Now when I flew Continental last year, everything was complimentary..

Most airlines I've flown with give you a small pack of crackers/cookies and a cup of a soft drink or juice free of charge. The fact that Skybus doesn't allow you to have food or drink on their planes plus the food they do offer is most likely marked up to exorbitant prices, probably won't make it an all to comfortable experience (hunger wise) for your average passenger on a flight from PTI to Boston. I just hope the airline's customer service, hospitality, and low-rates will be enough to keep customers coming back. I have a feeling there will be some Triad residents who buy tickets for a flight with Skybus not knowing the way they do business.

Archived