Google to open R&D unit at CMU

Evergrey

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is excellent news Evergrey! With Seagate, Ariba, Intel, Apple, SONY and others having major operations in Pittsburgh as well as the city hosting the global HQ for Guru.com and Vivisimo (both #1 in their subindustries) this is one more element in the "cirtical mass" Pittsburgh is putting together for a tech hub!

Apparently the main reason Google is doing this is because people they want to hire from CMU do not want to leave the city.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/05350/623231.stm

This is absolutely great. I think it's a sign that the days of "brain drain" are coming to a close. People do like it here, and because of it we have Google and Seagate here, among others. People are starting to say "You can hire me if you come here" and it is working. Google didn't laugh. Google didn't try to entice them to move. Google decided to open an office here. :yahoo:

^^Great point G, after reading the article closer I noticed that too. As you mentioned that is really the turning point, if this trend continues there is nothing that would stop Pittsburgh from becoming every bit the east coast silicon valley!

^^Great point G, after reading the article closer I noticed that too. As you mentioned that is really the turning point, if this trend continues there is nothing that would stop Pittsburgh from becoming every bit the east coast silicon valley!

In the scheme of things this is not a huge story. Yet is is. Another top tier Interactive/tech company is investing in CMU and the best part of this story (other than a 100 jobs of course) is the quote above. It demonstrates a very positive change from the days when Lycos skipped town.

Here is another I found on WTAE, you guys will like this quote.

"We're not too stupid. We eventually got the message if we wanted to hire these people, we were going to have to open an office in Pittsburgh because there are smart people who live in Pittsburgh and want to continue to live in Pittsburgh," said Craig Nevill-Manning of Google.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/5...?subid=10101261

(sorry for not turning the link on, web browser is being a pain)

On the other hand, Google is turning out to have a good number dirty deeds in it's bag of tricks. They are being sued by a number of people for stealing protected works, including the Google Books feature which might be worked on in Pittsburgh. Even more worrying is they have been luring key employees from other firms and using them to create similar if not identical products. I hope they're not coming here because of Vivisimo, since Clusty is a much better search engine.

Archived