Virginia Beach Light Rail and Transit

vdogg

This makes sense since extending LR east is better than having 2 separate east-west transit systems. Still, BRT, although dead in its current form, may not be completely dead. BRT remains a viable option for north-south routes in VB such as down Independence/Princess Anne, Great Neck/Lynnhaven, and Pacific/General Booth. Land, being the NS ROW, is available to extend LR to the Strip, but acquiring land for LR along north-south routes may be problematic.

I can't believe I missed this one. What a great article.

BRT's death, a chance for transit.

And now that Norfolk appears closer than it has ever been to building a light-rail line between the Virginia Beach border and Eastern Virginia Medical School, the last argument supporting BRT has disappeared.

If Hampton Roads is ever going to have a successful regional mass-transit system, it will run on rails, not on wheels. The sooner the entire region recognizes that, and works toward it, the sooner we might be able to leave our cars behind.

• 2 weeks later...

"With Norfolk’s light rail system becoming more of a reality, BRT critics see fewer reasons to pursue the super size buses.

“The idea of marrying BRT with light rail is preposterous,” Beach Councilman Peter Schmidt said. “I just don’t see people making that switch.”"

"With Norfolk’s light rail system becoming more of a reality, BRT critics see fewer reasons to pursue the super size buses.

“The idea of marrying BRT with light rail is preposterous,” Beach Councilman Peter Schmidt said. “I just don’t see people making that switch.”"

That is a valid argument only if light rail achieves evrything that it can, which would entail tremendoes costs, especially to extend it to the Norfolk Naval Base. That base is by far the largest commuter destination in our region. BRT could provide a good transit alternative using the HOV lanes, with perhaps an airport stop until light rail funds allow for such an expansion. There would potentially be no needed transfers from LRT to BRT, except when going from the East West LRT line to the North South BRT line. And don't forget the advantages of flexible routing over fixed guideways, not to mention cost advantages.

That said, LRT is a good system for the East West line if we can get it. A full system would be even better. But it may never happen in our lifetimes, as the FED is too busy wrecking and rebuilding other nations.

How great would it be to live in the cosmo, go see a game at harbor park, dine at kincaids, see a broadway show, get your drink on, then get home without ever getting in a car. :D one can only dream. :rolleyes:

I agree. One reason I love going up to DC, just to get the Metro experience! :thumbsup:

Let me just say this to everyone who is hesitant about a light rail system in Hampton Roads. It may be expensive, but in the long run it would be extremely beneficial to the cities. In all of the ridership data the cities are looking at, are they including the teenagers for example who live in say Norfolk but want to go to the Oceanfront or to Lynnhaven Mall? They may not have cars, parent might be to busy to drive them, and friends might not drive either so they would use the system greatly.

In another sense, I go to college in Fairfax, right outside of DC. I love being able to drive 5-10 minutes to the metro station, hop on the metro, ride into DC and spend the day there without having to worry about parking. It is fairly inexpensive and I think worth the few dollars to avoid the hastle. In fact, I could ride the bus, and 10-20 minute ride, for FREE! The bus service in Fairfax gives students free rides to the metro. If a system like this were developed in Hampton Roads, more people would go places they wouldn't normally go, and the ridership WOULD be there.

Just an opinion from the new guy :)

First, welcome to the forum. I contribute to this forum a lot but am also a mod for the DC forum so feel free to check that out as well. There are many advocates here online for light rail in VB. The initiative for LR was placed on a referendum a few years ago and was defeated but a lot has changed since then - traffic is worsening and in addition light rail is coming to Norfolk. In addition, the Pembroke area is undergoing a huge metamorphosis and is urbanizing. Over time it just makes sense to have a mass transit system to move people between densely populated or highly visited areas such as Lynnhaven, Pembroke and the Oceanfront. This gives further reason why a mass transit system makes sense. Norfolk's LR initiaitve seems to be moving full steam ahead and I am hoping after VB citizens experience this type of transit they will see how great it is to not have to drive and perhaps will change their mindset.

Exactly... Being from VB, I know that a good number of people in the city are stubborn and will not give up their cars. With the price of gas going up, hopefully more people will see that light rail is the way of the future. I can see, probably 50 or so years down the line, a system going E-W and then N-S in several areas. In particular, I think it would be good to have a line following Independence Blvd, as well as Great Neck Rd. (I can't speak for the southern 2/3 of the city, since I live in the northern part myself). As for the development in Pembroke, it is awesome. And while I completely support Oceana and keeping it in VB, it is now and will even more so in the coming years impose tough regulations on height and new development that will only harm the city. Oceana is a great resource, but it is also a limiting factor, at least in its current role, to the economic development and growth of the city. What I WOULD like to see IF IN FACT Oceana is moved, is a complete removal of the military from that location, or at least mostly, and a conversion into a large National or International airport. Norfolk is small and cramped. It can not grow, it can not accept flights of any great size. The runway is too short for the larger planes of the future. I heard of plans to move the main airport of the region somewhere between Hampton Roads and Richmond some time ago and that is just STUPID. I think this could create an alternative. Of course, people would then complain about large passenger jets flying overhead. Am I the only on who feels that CCAJN is full of it and that they knew when they bought their homes that a massive percentage of the Navy's jets were stationed near their homes?

Sorry, I really should focus and divide up my posts from now on! Haha...

Hey RJWGMU, you're a Mason student? Sounds like it. It's good to have another Patriot on the site :good: That free ride on the Cue Bus is great for the students. Anyways, I lived in Alexandria for a few years and it was nice getting on a Metro Bus and being at the Metro Station in a few minutes. If VB gets onboard with the Norfolk light rail project we must get our bus system up to snuff. You can't build enough parking spaces to house the #'s of cars that will be needed to transport folks to the stations, plus having people park at the stations in mass will create new traffic problems around the stations. I think that Light Rail will greately enhance the HR area and it will be nice for a trip from DT to the Oceanfront.

Yah I'm a Mason student... As for the parking, that is very true. I think though that there are several places where large parking garages could be built. The bus system definately would have to be incorporated into the Light Rail system, as the MetroBus system is incorporated into the MetroRail system in DC. Ahh, all in due time I guess...

I am all for mass transit but have often wondered if LR would be successful in VB. The city is so spread out and there are only a few relatively dense areas - Pembroke, Kempsville and the Oceanfront. Grant it we could hook up with Norfolk's line and have a connection from DT to the Oceanfront and that would be nice. During the summer months ridership would be high but what about winter when all the tourists have gone home? I have been reading in the Raleigh forum and as it stands now the transportation authority gave them a low rating but a medium rating must be achieved in order to get federal funding. The Raleigh area is somewhat like us in that they also have a lot of sprawl. But if VB is not able to get federal funding I highly doubt the city would fund such an expensive endeavor that may only benefit a small percentage of its residents.

Yah I'm a Mason student... As for the parking, that is very true. I think though that there are several places where large parking garages could be built. The bus system definately would have to be incorporated into the Light Rail system, as the MetroBus system is incorporated into the MetroRail system in DC. Ahh, all in due time I guess...

Awesome! Another patriot. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Hmm - no mention of connecting it with the Norfolk starter line. Would this be a short independent track (at least at first)? Also, is this the first mention of Beach light rail as a real option?

Even thought there is no mention of it, i'm sure it would be an eventuality. We need to get a hold of some of those surveys, I'm really interested to know the questions they'll be asking. Anyone have a link to the online portion? I think what we have here is a tacit admition that 1)BRT may not go far enough in addressing the issue and 2) light rail can be a major economic force (as realized by Ghent south towers and Kotarides, even before the system is built). I do have once suggestion though, if light rail is built, don't list Walmart as a stop. :P

They better connect the two or it defeats the whole purpose of having it. It should go between DT Norfolk and the oceanfront to be feasible.

Even if not at first i'm certain it will be an eventuality. I'm not as concerned with that right now as I am with just getting the thing off the ground. I imagine during the summer months this can become a spectacular success with people opting to leave their cars in the pembroke area and take rail to the oceanfront.