Virginia Beach Light Rail and Transit

vdogg

Ughh <_< . Did anyone have th misfortune of travelling the Town Center are between say 4:30 an 6 today? I'm talking gridlock, New York style. It was nuts. I know i've complained about starbucks et al taking up valuable real estate but i'm actually glad they were there 2day. I pulled over, grabbed a cup of coffee, and sat it out. I've decided i'm not driving anymore til after Christmas is over! :lol:

:rofl::shok:

Ughh <_< . Did anyone have th misfortune of travelling the Town Center area between say 4:30 and 6 today? I'm talking gridlock, New York style. It was nuts. I know i've complained about starbucks et al taking up valuable real estate but i'm actually glad they were there 2day. I pulled over, grabbed a cup of coffee, and sat it out. I've decided i'm not driving anymore til after Christmas is over! :lol:

haha. I was caught up in it coming from work. Actually, parts of International were gridlock and then to turn onto Indy just added fuel to the fire. I took the round about way and got home relatively quick .. oh, but not after almost running over someone's bumper lying in the road. :shok:

Edited by guynvb

haha. I was caught up in it coming from work. Actually, parts of International were gridlock and then to turn onto Indy just added fuel to the fire. I took the round about way and got home relatively quick .. oh, but not after almost running over someone's bumper lying in the road. :shok:

LOL, saw that too. It seemed quite out of place, like they forgot to pick it up or something. :lol:

I must admit I am for the cameras. People here run red lights 3-5 at a time and don't mind getting caught in the middle of an intersection even if their light is now red. Don't even get me started. :angry:

Same here, I'm so tired of people complaining about how its a vialation of there rights. Like they have a right to use City roads, public roads and still have the nerve to say that what they do on these roads is private like they are sitting at home or something. Let's review, CITY ROADS, not private. Once you leave your home you are in view of public therefore nothing is a violation of your rights. You put yourself on parade by leaving your home so deal with it. :w00t:

I'm alright, deep breaths. :lol:

Red light running does seem to be on the increase, even with the threat of camera use. I guess I'm more for it than against it. I'm just not so sure what else those surveillance cameras will be used for, in spite of a zillion reassurances from authorities. I'm old school and my paranoia runs deep. I remember when police would beat you or lock you up for having long hair.

The cameras need to be approved through legislative action. Why not give them a conditional "green light" along with stipulations that they only be used for the expressed purpose of warning or ticketing red light runners (no criminal tracking or spying).

Edited by Padman

Red light running does seem to be on the increase, even with the threat of camera use. I guess I'm more for it than against it. I'm just not so sure what else those surveillance cameras will be used for, in spite of a zillion reassurances from authorities. I'm old school and my paranoia runs deep. I remember when police would beat you or lock you up for having long hair.

The cameras need to be approved through legislative action. Why not give them a conditional "green light" along with stipulations that they only be used for the expressed purpose of warning or ticketing red light runners (no criminal tracking or spying).

Maybe they'll help clear up the gridlock at the independence/Va. Beach Blvd intersection. I could've sworn I read somewhere that one of the reasons for removal was an increases in accidents (i.e. fender benders) at the intersections that they were in use. There's definately a trade-off.

Maybe they'll help clear up the gridlock at the independence/Va. Beach Blvd intersection. I could've sworn I read somewhere that one of the reasons for removal was an increases in accidents (i.e. fender benders) at the intersections that they were in use. There's definately a trade-off.

I think people that wanted to get rid of the cameras were trying to inflate the amount of accidents to shut the project down. So abiding by the law causes accidents? I don't buy it. They just make you aware that are breaking the law by hitting you in the pocket. Those people that are causing the accidents are making second guesses weither or not to run the light and make a late breaking attempt and get rear ended.

I've read that they can ceate more rear-enders also. I think that the public perception for that particular intersection is that Town Center creates much more of it's congestion than it does. However, with the Westin opening, a new 23 story office tower and City Walk added to the area (and more), it's going to get really interesting. We do need an I-264 flyover somewhere in there to relieve the traffic, but it's going to be tough getting it done on the western side of Independence. It's too bad the land for the Resource Bank site on the eastern side couldn't have been reserved for an interchange improvement. But the main thing to keep in mind is that if you want an urban landscape, you get the baggage with it. Congestion is just part and parcel, and Transit could help, both within T.C. and also to the Naval base and downtown Norfolk. The killer here is the triple load in to 264 from Independence/Bonney, South Independence/Baxter and Holland Rd. That traffic is forecast to get much worse over the next 15 years or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Whay aren't they building the light rail to the oceanfront in the first place? How are tourists supposed to get out to the suburban station from the oceanfront hotels? If Virginia Beach is marketing itself as a tourist desrination, they ought to be thinking in terms of how tourists at conventions get around. Most of them don't have cars, so building attractive and viable options for them is the key. I trust that the new convention center will have its own station?

Whay aren't they building the light rail to the oceanfront in the first place? How are tourists supposed to get out to the suburban station from the oceanfront hotels? If Virginia Beach is marketing itself as a tourist desrination, they ought to be thinking in terms of how tourists at conventions get around. Most of them don't have cars, so building attractive and viable options for them is the key. I trust that the new convention center will have its own station?

I think that we are all wondering why its taking so long for Vabeach to jump on the light rail project. If Norfolk and Vabeach went in together with a starter track from the ocean front to DT Norfolk we could already be riding the train.

The imagined "undesirables" (aka Georgetown) syndrome and money. VB leaders, like other suburban cities, believed that public transport only brings the inner city "undesirable". Then there's money. Why would VB want tourists and their spending cash to leave the oceanfront for downtown Norfolk? And why would VB want locals to take a $1.50 train to the Strip when they can pay several dollars to park in City garages, parking lots, and side streets?

I think that the "study" was done in Australia or something and not even conducted in VA. The whole idea of the cameras being an "invasion of privacy" is idiotic. The tapes for all the 7-11s and ATMs would also be an invasion of privacy I guess... The police should be freed up when possible to fight real crime and not sit there having to babysit drivers.

People have zero respect for traffic lights here. The whole sad thing is that one child ended up losing his life right there and still people run the lights rampantly.

I think that the traffic cameras should never be used again. Not for the privacy issues but for the accidents that they cause. I'm not backing this stuff up with the questionable statistics that are floating around but common sense. If it is raining outside sometimes it's better to run the tailend of the green/yellow cycle than it is to hammer down the brakes for fear of a ticket. The traffic lights around here are timed very fast making it impossible to be within the law in every situation. What happens when you're hung out in an intersection for reasons beyond your control? I just think that it is not good public policy to mail out tickets from a camera that has no reasoning like a traffic cop.

I think that the traffic cameras should never be used again. Not for the privacy issues but for the accidents that they cause. I'm not backing this stuff up with the questionable statistics that are floating around but common sense. If it is raining outside sometimes it's better to run the tailend of the green/yellow cycle than it is to hammer down the brakes for fear of a ticket. The traffic lights around here are timed very fast making it impossible to be within the law in every situation. What happens when you're hung out in an intersection for reasons beyond your control? I just think that it is not good public policy to mail out tickets from a camera that has no reasoning like a traffic cop.

Speaking as someone who's been hit head on by a red light runner, I think that even a ten-fold increase in "fender benders" caused by stopping at a light, is a small price to pay to avoid the much more severe accidents that can occur when ppl run lights.

If you can't slow down in time when you see a yellow light, then you are either speeding, or need to get your brakes checked.

The Pilot's article stated that in some parts of the city people seem to run lights almost for sport. I have seen that happen more times than I care to remember. I have seen 5-6 cars hug the bumper of the one in front of them sailing thru a red light. I guess they feel they have 'got away with something' when in reality they need to consider they are breaking the law and could cause an accident.. but then do they really care?

• 3 weeks later...