Virginia Beach Light Rail and Transit

vdogg

These are exciting days for our city and the area in general. I'm glad to see the council is think about purchasing the old CC site. That building is in a strategic location and even if the decision is made against LR (which I don't see happening) in a couple of years they can easily sell and recoup their money.

I don't understand why so many people on the pilot naysay about light rail coming to their city. They act like VB has high crime, bad schools, high unemployment, homelessness, etc. and the city only wants to spend money on light rail. Of the 500 million or so dollars it takes to build, the city will likely only foot 85-100 million. With half a million people in VB, that means each person pays what, 4 or 5 dollars? Even if you absolutely hated mass transit, why would you waste your time trying to block it?

I don't understand why so many people on the pilot naysay about light rail coming to their city. They act like VB has high crime, bad schools, high unemployment, homelessness, etc. and the city only wants to spend money on light rail. Of the 500 million or so dollars it takes to build, the city will likely only foot 85-100 million. With half a million people in VB, that means each person pays what, 4 or 5 dollars? Even if you absolutely hated mass transit, why would you waste your time trying to block it?

probably the same reason why they didnt like the town center before it was even built...they dont like and sometimes fear change.

i really dont understand why it is a good move if light rail doesnt happen (except to prevent another shopes at towne center, wait never mind that's a fantastic idea! I also hope that they can get the shopping center next door with the northern Equipment to have a good size land to work with.

Hopefully it will be more than an elevated platform and a parking lot, this should be a jewel station/large development.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyonbe see the public discussion dates for LRT?

http://www.gohrt.com/vbtes/

Public Involvement

There will be several opportunities for the public to comment during the study process. There will be public meetings where comment forms will be available, a means to deliver comment via e-mail, and there's always the postal service. During the study phase there will be electronic newsletters that will help people track the process and comment on it. Two public meetings are planned for September. Their purpose is to give the public an opportunity to understand what the Virginia Beach Transit Extension study is about and how it will unfold. They are scheduled for:

- Wednesday, September 9, 2009 from 6:00-8:00 PM / Princess Anne High School, 4400 Virginia Beach Blvd.

- Thursday, September 10, 2009 from 6:00-8:00 PM / Virginia Beach Convention Center, 1000 19th Street

In addition to these meetings, the overall public involvement plan will include:

• Presentations to all interested community and business organizations
  • Monthly email updates
  • An electronic quarterly newsletter
  • Community events
  • The use of Twitter, Facebook and other social media
  • Stakeholder interviews

I really wish they would do a commercial spot on television, to explain the vision to those who might not understand LRT and why we need it.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/09/va-beach-c...r-pembroke-plan

City planners have finished the plan that will guide development of Town Center and the Pembroke area.

Light rail is a big focus in the Beach's first foray into urban-style growth.

The City Council will be briefed on the plan Tuesday at 4 p.m. at City Hall.

Edited by cityboi757

So far, the comments in the Pilot are surprisingly positive and people are asking for expansions throughout the whole city..

Positive comments to a paper article? that is weird...actually the only really negative ones on this are saying "I cant afford to eat at the town center, why are we spending money on this?" Which if someone is asking that question, they are obviously not that smart to begin with.

Good to hear willingness for progress and moving forward...an area like Hampton Roads needs a big infrastructure to help it run, just having the current highway system is not enough.

Comments from Pilotonline.com!

Most retaurants at Town Center are very reasonable. I think much of the griping here is based on heresay. Go and actually VISIT Town Center before making assumptions.

Bottom line: Light rail WILL happen in VB. Town Center is thriving. And Town Center West is coming. I can't wait.

I dont go to Town Center-I cant afford it! But I have no problem parking my car and taking the the light rail to work down in Norfolk! I hate driving in this area, and it wont cost a lot. Light rail it a good idea, and it will be great for people who dont drive,cant drive and need to get to work or go shopping. Look at the big picture, it wont be just for Town Center-We all can use it and at some point it will take us all over the area! It will end up brining in money!

It is so-o-o good to see VB planning for light rail. For several years VB'ers have posted almost continuous negative comments in the Pilot regarding Norfolk's light rail, like it was theirs to comment on. Now Norfolkians can return the favor. Of course light rail in VB is destined to be much better than light rail in Norfolk - just ask all those posters that live in VB.

If we bring urban infrastructure (ie TC, ligth-rail, urban growth, & offices to hold firms), we bring high paying jobs...Then WE ALL can eat.

Finally progress is coming to southern Virginia, with a light rail and an urban core, once elusive high paying salry jobs can now come to the area. What would be nice is if they moved the courthouse and administration to TC and made that area a University...Va Beach would be a force to on the South Side of Virginia.

Don't forget connecting Shore Drive & the airport. Hopefully this starter line will expand and reach its full potential over the next 10-20 years.

I welcome light rail and updating dreary areas of the City. I am curious about those who comment not being able to afford eating at T.C. Come on, P.F. Chang's is certainly reasonably priced, especially the lunch specials. Macaroni Grill is also affordable. Admittedly Ruth Chris Steakhouse is pricey, Bravo's serves great food and not going to kill a budget either. Seems like some of you either like to gripe or really haven't tried the places for yourselves, just follow other complainers

OOOHHHHHHH...the suspense is killing me!

Thanks aalto, but I prefer to speak for myself. Actually, this strategic plan is much wider is scope than just Town Center, and it encompasses the area from Thalia to Clearfield Avenue which is just west of Witchduck Road. Much of this area is comprised of light industrial uses so this area has great potential for multi use, vertical development. Even the areas along Virginia Beach Boulevard south of Aragonna are needful of a makeover, and by setting standards and thinking land use, zoning, transportation, and perhaps even design guidelines, the city can stimulate and guide growth and redevelopment in the next 20-30 years. Frankly, if this were not being done, the City would be remiss, but thankfully, it is in process and it will aid in Transit oriented development as well.

Edited by cityboi757

http://www.gohrt.com/vbtes/documents/hrt-n...r-sep09-web.pdf

Detailed information on the the VBTES.

Light Rail Transit (LRT) on the Norfolk

Southern Alignment: The light rail alternative

would extend The Tide LRT along

the existing east-west railroad corridor

in Virginia Beach. This alternative would

provide station stops at various points

along the alignment that will be identified

and finalized as part of the study.

Preliminary station areas to be studied (for

both BRT and LRT) include: Witchduck,

Town Center, Rosemont, Lynnhaven,

Great Neck, Oceana, Birdneck and the

Convention Center/Oceanfront areas.

The BRT and LRT build alternatives will

also include the identification of a site

for a Vehicle Storage and Maintenance

Facility. Consideration will also be given

to the location of park-and-ride facilities

associated with stations as well as

feeder bus service and determination of

the need for grade separations where the

transit guideway crosses local streets.

Local, state and federal agency representatives

will participate in the VBTES

process led by the lead agency, HRT. At

the conclusion of the process and based

on the evaluation criteria established, the

alternative that best meets the project

WTF. I was watchin Fox 43 news and they just ran a story on the meeting and a very old white guy (no offense) said "The city of Virginia Beach doesn't need it. All it would do is get low income people to the Oceanfront.." Of course out of the 100+ people at the meeting, the news decided to put the most negative, discriminatory comment made.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey what do you guys think about getting funding to build from Newtown to the Oceanfront, but doing it in two phases. Newtown to TC, open that section, then TC to the Oceanfront. So we don't have to wait forever to go from downtown to TC and we can get started on TOD

When the city gets funding for light rail, it will take about 2-3 years of actual construction for the line, so either way you look at it, both phases would happen at the same time and probably finish close to the same times....though this idea might work on opening a section sooner than the other.

I don't think its going to take 2 to 3 years to do a phase from newtown to TC.. Maybe 6months at the most or a year.. That is a small segment of light rail track and there isn't any waterways or major over passes/bridges to construct like in Norfolk. Its flat land which wouldn't take them long at all to extend the light rail track to town center.. It would defiantly take them 1.5yrs to go from town center to the oceanfront though. no question asked.. since its 11miles. and again no major water ways. Just small creeks.. Thalia Creek and Lynnhaven Creek..

I don't think its going to take 2 to 3 years to do a phase from newtown to TC.. Maybe 6months at the most or a year.. That is a small segment of light rail track and there isn't any waterways or major over passes/bridges to construct like in Norfolk. Its flat land which wouldn't take them long at all to extend the light rail track to town center.. It would defiantly take them 1.5yrs to go from town center to the oceanfront though. no question asked.. since its 11miles. and again no major water ways. Just small creeks.. Thalia Creek and Lynnhaven Creek..

Yeah that's what I'm saying. They could go Newtown to TC in a year. It's only like 2-3 miles, plus it's a straight shot. I think that'd be the best way to do it. It will probably take two years or so until they reach a FFGA

Edited by varider