Virginia Beach Light Rail and Transit

vdogg

I don't know where to post this, but Newport News has not given up on LRT and are even looking at a ferry from Newport News to Norfolk.

Peninsula Rapid Transit Project

Current analysis requested by Newport News showed that the density levels, both residential and commercial, needed to support FTA’s New Starts program thresholds could potentially be accommodated within the recommended alignment’s available vacant and underutilized properties. A preliminary evaluation of a potential ferry connection between Newport News and Norfolk was also included. The consultant team, based on input from City staff, is in the process of establishing recommendations for policies that could be used to attract the needed levels of density to support LRT. The preliminary results from this analysis will be presented to the City of Newport News’ Balanced Transportation Committee in mid-November. The final results from the study will also be shared with the Planning and New Starts Development Committee in December.

I don't know where to post this, but Newport News has not given up on LRT and are even looking at a ferry from Newport News to Norfolk.

Peninsula Rapid Transit Project

Current analysis requested by Newport News showed that the density levels, both residential and commercial, needed to support FTA’s New Starts program thresholds could potentially be accommodated within the recommended alignment’s available vacant and underutilized properties. A preliminary evaluation of a potential ferry connection between Newport News and Norfolk was also included. The consultant team, based on input from City staff, is in the process of establishing recommendations for policies that could be used to attract the needed levels of density to support LRT. The preliminary results from this analysis will be presented to the City of Newport News’ Balanced Transportation Committee in mid-November. The final results from the study will also be shared with the Planning and New Starts Development Committee in December.

Yeah, Light Rail has been put on hold up here. The overall analysis is that there is just not enough density along the route to support it at this time. They are specifically focusing on corridor 3 which is the hospital to mall to airport route for now. However, all of the money that was set aside for studies and projects has been given over to the other rail projects so that they can advance. We won't be seeing light rail up here for some time.

Mr. Erb is still actively working to get a light rail referendum in Virginia Beach.

http://virginianewss...ail-referendu-1

Less than one hundred feet from the Norfolk-Southern right-of-way and three hundred yards from the Newtown Rd light rail station (under construction), the first fixed signature gathering station for light rail referendum petition drive has been established.

http://virginianewssource.com/wallyerb/blog1.php/2009/11/09/virginia-beach-2010-light-rail-referendu

The citizen-initiated petition drive for a November 2010 light rail referendum question officially got underway this past Election Day. Two Virginia Beach polling places, Arrowhead and Point-of –View, were selected to gauge voter response.

As much as I'd rather not see a referendum, I think the light rail could win regardless. Especially after people get to try out the Norfolk starter line. He's fighting mighty hard, though. I highly doubt he will be able to pull 25000+ signatures. If he only got 1200 on election day.

In my opinion, the petition is unfair. Placing a paper in front of thousands of people asking if light rail should be put on referendum without any backround knowledge or education on the subject is not good.

Edited by varider

Mr. Erb is still actively working to get a light rail referendum in Virginia Beach.

http://virginianewss...ail-referendu-1

http://virginianewss...-rail-referendu

As much as I'd rather not see a referendum, I think the light rail could win regardless. Especially after people get to try out the Norfolk starter line. He's fighting mighty hard, though. I highly doubt he will be able to pull 25000+ signatures. If he only got 1200 on election day.

In my opinion, the petition is unfair. Placing a paper in front of thousands of people asking if light rail should be put on referendum without any backround knowledge or education on the subject is not good.

The irony of the whole thing is that Wally Erb is shooting his own cause in the feet with his blog posts:

1. Out of the gate - 1,200 signatures

By his own admission, the "There has to be a referendum!" crowd totals no more than 1,200 people in a City of over 435,000.

2. Election Day - 168 signatures

Wally says he "targeted" two precincts. Uh...one of the two was his home precinct (Arrowhead), with an adjacent precinct (Point O View) the other.

He stated in his blog post that people had no trouble finding the petitions via signage. Not only does that mean he lacks volunteers, but unmanned ballot petitions are illegal in Virginia.

3. Since - 8 signatures

This would be so comical if something so important (i.e. light rail) wasn't at stake.

He's now dubbed Jim Totin's plastics shop HQ. For those unfamiliar with Totin, he lost the Republican Party of Virginia Beach (RPVB) Chairmanship race by 4 votes in 1999. He then ran for the Republican nomination for Clerk of the Circuit Court in 2003, only to lose horribly. His final downfall was trying to get his old friend Al Wallace back onto the Republican City Committee in the Fall of 2004. The October meeting should have been devoted to preparing for the Presidential election; instead, we had to smash the Wallace & Totin clown act. You do not tie up the preelection meeting with such b.s.! Wallace was voted down by a more than 2:1 margin, and the RPVB By-Laws were later amended to effectively keep Wallace off for life. (Hehe...the amendment was my idea.)

The bottom line: if Erb doesn't double his signature count on 8th District primary day, you can stick a fork in his farce.

No way he pulls it off.

Light Rail Referendum For 11/2/2010

Virginia Beach Petition Drive

"Should the City Council adopt an ordinance approving the development and financing of the proposed Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Naval Base Light Rail transit project?"

Signature count required: 25,219

Signature count: 1,376

Due date: July 1, 2010

Va Beach needs to continue to proceed ASAP. I'm guessing it's going to be very easy to procure an FFGA once all the studying is complete. The fed and state gov't realize that HR has absoulutely no money for road construction. They understand that we built a starter line that has no chance of success without extension.

Its official!

The Virginia Beach Development Authority has bought a former Circuit City parcel for $5 million. The three-acre property and 38,414-square-foot store is located on South Independence Boulevard, one of the city’s main thoroughfares. Adjacent to the Town Center of Virginia Beach, the property is currently being leased to East Coast Appliances. However, it’s expected to be incorporated into the city’s Central Business District master plan because of its strategic location next to a major retail development. Divaris Real Estate Inc. in Virginia Beach represented the authority in the transaction. Circuit City closed its stores in 2008 after filing for bankruptcy.

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/index.php/news/article/commercial-real-estate-round-up2/202407/

So should this be listed on its own, in the light rail thread, or in the town center thread?

Its official!

http://www.virginiab...und-up2/202407/

So should this be listed on its own, in the light rail thread, or in the town center thread?

Great. That is going to be an amazing place for an elevated LR station and masssive TOD in the future. I can't wait.

Anyone going to the Station workshop at the Westin on Wednesday?

Edited by varider

The first meeting is tonight from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, 4535 Commerce St.

The next meeting will be held Dec. 9 at the Virginia Beach Convention Center, 1000 19th St. That meeting also will begin at 6 p.m.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/hrt-hosting-passenger-station-workshop-tonight-va-beach

I wish I could make the next one.

According to the website, these two workshops will be the last of their sort. The next public meeting would be in July for the SDEIS presentation and thats when they'll release ridership estimates, station locations/design, cost projections, elevated portions, etc. Then, hopefullly, Council will allow the process to proceed, and the FTA will give us the green light into Prelim. Design.

Dont forget about the meeting tonight, someone take pictures of anything interesting:

Hampton Roads Transit is holding the second of two workshops in Virginia Beach to look into the effect of passenger stations on neighborhoods if the agency expands services in the city. The meeting is tonight at 6 p.m. at the Virginia Beach Convention Center, 1000 19th St.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/hrt-hosting-passenger-station-workshop-tonight-va-beach

http://avengingarchangel.blogspot.com/2009/12/transit-station-planning-workshop.html

Mr. Ryto's blog abot the Station workshops..

I found this quote interesting..

2. A gentleman was there who claimed he's been part of talks on a Witchduck Road - Great Bridge extension. The discussions reportedly involved the City of Chesapeake and the Commonwealth of Virginia. The rail line would shoot down the Witchduck Road/Kempsville Road Corridor to Greenbrier, then on to Great Bridge. We'll see if such a routing is included in the study that the Chesapeake City Council has requested.

i dont doubt that. rumor has it that the federal dot has more or less blackmailed our area. push for transit or no road money kind of thing. not that this is a bad thing...

Yeah, basically that's what happened.

I don't mind, though. I want a transit system among the best in the nation! NY MTA, DC METRO, SEPTA, MARTA, HRT! haha.

This is very interesting! From the Station Workshops:

http://www.gohrt.com/vbtes/documents/2009/12/station-area-workshop-maps.pdf

Edited by varider

Yeah, you see all the development potential that the powerpoint shows?

Each one of the stations has the potential to become dense town-center like developments.

But to be honest, I'd rather VB focus all it's high rises in Pembroke and maybe have 3-5 floor med. density buildings in the outer neighborhood stations.

Hampton roads will not get any money to fix our roads next year. Transportation Secretary Pierce Homer says the solution to our crisis is light rail. “To have dense development around the stations - that would allow people to maybe have one less car to cut down on the number of trips in half,” says Homer.

But right now V-DOT’s six year plan is only to pay for light rail in Norfolk, which will only help people in downtown Norfolk and around Newtown Road

In fact, even though HRT has started its study to plan for light rail in Virginia Beach, V-DOT has not budgeted for the next six years to pay for it.

http://www.gohrt.com/pressroom/?p=682

I wish this would be yelled every time people oppose LRT.

Edited by ronsmytheiii