Virginia Beach Light Rail and Transit

vdogg

• 2 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/norfolk-council-angered-new-lightrail-cost-overruns

The dissatisfaction has spread to Virginia Beach, where Mayor Will Sessoms vowed on Tuesday not to pursue light rail as long as the “current management” of HRT continues. Norfolk’s $7.4-mile light rail project extends from the city’s medical center to the Virginia Beach border. Beach officials are considering a spur to the Oceanfront.

“I would never recommend to the council or the taxpayers that we move forward under the current management,” Sessoms said.

Well, it was nice to dream. But it looks like Norfolk's light rail will be just that, Norfolk's light rail. I just don't see how were going to get this through a city council that was spineless even when things were going good. This whole situation is just Nuclear. Townes needs to resign if we have any chance of salvaging this. He's a nice guy, I met him once at the celebration they held when Norfolk got it's light rail funding, but someone needs to fall on their sword.

Well, it was nice to dream. But it looks like Norfolk's light rail will be just that, Norfolk's light rail. I just don't see how were going to get this through a city council that was spineless even when things were going good. This whole situation is just Nuclear. Townes needs to resign if we have any chance of salvaging this. He's a nice guy, I met him once at the celebration they held when Norfolk got it's light rail funding, but someone needs to fall on their sword.

Well it is quite a headwind, but when the line starts Virginia Beach citizens will see the real desire of such a system, and with new management this should only delay an extension, not preclude it.

I'm not so sure I'd give up just yet on your light rail extension. Seamless plans to begin an extension are just a pipe dream IMO. This will more than likely happen at some point, just not right away. Speed bumps happen. Get the right people in place to manage it financially (sounds like they aren't there now). Let the first phase have a few years of running successfully and exceeding ridership numbers and people can be convinced that it's a good thing. Down here in Charlotte, we had cost overruns, scheduling issues, etc. It wasn't perfect but LYNX got off the ground and is a huge success. Unfortunately the transit tax hasn't provided the necessary funding for the extension, due in large part to the recession, but planning is well under way for the next extension. It will just be 3-5 years later when it opens. The same can happen in Hampton Roads. :thumbsup:

Alright guys, don't over-react to the situation.

Everyone is angry with the horrible management and communication about the cost overruns/delay. It doesn't help that Townes has known for over a month and didn't even tell his own Chairman.

I highly doubt that Wally Erb will get 24,000 signatures in 7 months for a referendum to be held. All we need is 5 yay votes when it comes time to vote on whether the city would like to proceed with the LRT process.

Sure, Norfolk's LRT was managed horribly, but Virginia Beach is at an advantage, being able to learn from the mistakes in the Norfolk STARTER LINE.

And the project is still the cheapest per mile rail project this decade!

Also, once VB Council gets on those LR trains in a year, they'll be feigning for an extension to the Oceanfront.

Don't count VB out.

Edited by varider

I have to say, Blacksburg Transit is a much better experience and managed, perhaps they should take over HRT.

Blacksburg Transit has 10 or so bus routes and carries about 5,000 people a day.

Hampton Roads Transit has 70+ and carries over 52,000 people a day.

Anybody can manage a small transit system like BT well. Plus HRT has to deal with express busses and ferries.

I think HRT needs someone from a big city that has experience with rail systems now that HRT will be operating light rail.

Ms. Daughtery from the Pilot has yet another anti-LRT article in the Sunday business section, titled "LR loses steam in Virginia Beach."

Just read it. I can't stand that woman. <_< For an opinion columnist it would be nice if she formed her own every now and then. If you stripped out all the VBTA talking points the article would've been two sentences long...

Just read it. I can't stand that woman. <_< For an opinion columnist it would be nice if she formed her own every now and then. If you stripped out all the VBTA talking points the article would've been two sentences long...

Well that is what we consider quality journalism these days...I think this might be why people are getting more news from blogs these days because no one in the media is taking journalism serious beyond media ratings and revenue.

I encourage everyone to take time to fill out this form with regards to the Richmond/HR highspeed rail line. Comments are due by February 11, 2010. HR residents, it is imperative that we voice how much HSR is needed for Hampton Roads, southside in particular. I plan to post this link in all relevant HR forums, but please confine your comments to the thread.

Great News everyone!.. The mayor of Virginia Beach told wavy he will sign the agreement with norfolk southern for the right away thursday. He stated he will not let mismanagement in norfolk ruin the opportunity for lightrail in va beach.. he is going to bring lightrail. Its kind of funny how at the last minute he is signing the contract before this year is over so he can say he accomplished a goal in his term and be a hero..

Great News everyone!.. The mayor of Virginia Beach told wavy he will sign the agreement with norfolk southern for the right away thursday. He stated he will not let mismanagement in norfolk ruin the opportunity for lightrail in va beach.. he is going to bring lightrail. Its kind of funny how at the last minute he is signing the contract before this year is over so he can say he accomplished a goal in his term and be a hero..

I hardly think he is going to be considered a hero in Va. Beach for signing this, given the current fiasco. Actually, moving ahead now in this climate takes something I thought I'd never see from a Beach politician. Intestinal fortitude. I'm warming up to Sessoms. I didn't vote for him, but I can't really complain about his performance as mayor thus far.

Well we all know that Ms. Orbendorf wouldn't have signed it. Good job Sessoms. I honestly think that once the Norfolk light rail starts revenue service, all the cost overruns/delays will be "forgotten" and it will be about extending the thing to the Beach and Naval Station.. We just have to get through this rocky period

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/va-beach-get-closer-owning-rail-property

But the state hasn’t issued the transportation bonds for its share, because it doesn’t have all the money to pay off the debt service, said Virginia Transportation Secretary Pierce Homer.

“We can’t spend money that we don’t have,” Homer said.

However, he expects that the bonds will be issued in the coming months.

HRT is waiting for the federal budget to be finalized before it can access the grant money.

Virginia Beach will put its $10 million into an escrow account Wednesday and sign the initial closing documents, said Mayor Will Sessoms.

The city has received letters of assurance from both the state and HRT, Sessoms said.

But if the money isn’t together by Sept. 1, the deal would be off. Virginia Beach would get its $10 million back, though the railroad company can keep any of the interest earned on the money.

“I’m very happy where we are today,” Sessoms said. “But I’ll be opening a bottle of champagne upon receiving the money from the state and HRT.”

Doubts in Va. Beach for light-rail

Nothing really earth shattering in this article. Of course the city has the jitters because of the huge increases but we do have a year from now before the recommendation is complete - and hopefully things will turn around before that time with Norfolk's line.

The pilot is doing every damn thing they can to derail this project. :angry: There is an obvious agenda here to stir up controversy. They just posted an article titled "Va. Beach's rail support waning" and then failed to provide any supporting evidence, such as a poll, to back up this spurious claim. Every single "citizen" they quoted was a member of the VBTA. If I wanted fair and balanced reporting like this, I'd watch...well, that's another story all together. Lets just say I'm not happy with their reporting. :lol:

Wow it's getting rough now. Part of me doesn't like it, because Townes seems like a nice guy, but if it means the restoration of public and political opinion for LRT in the Beach,then I'm all for it.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/resign-or-be-fired-hrt-chief-warned-4-board-members

Four Hampton Roads Transit board members from three cities have asked President and CEO Michael Townes to resign or face possible dismissal over spiraling cost overruns to build Norfolk’s light-rail starter line.