Virginia Beach Light Rail and Transit

vdogg

• 2 weeks later...

You have got to be kidding me. :angry:

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/virginia-beach-firefighters-union-opposes-light-rail

After a year without raises, the city’s firefighters union has come out against light rail, delivering a potential blow to the city’s efforts to win public support for the system.

The city’s police officers will meet Thursday night to consider taking a similar stance. Public teachers might do the same if the city can't guarantee the project won’t cut into future education funding.

Supporters of light rail meanwhile have sought to downplay this opposition six months ahead of a referendum question that, while non-binding, could help decide the fate of the city’s top economic development priority.

I think it's funny what a poster said on the VP article. Give the EMTs a pay decrease and charge them for the room and board for staying at the station....LOL

It is true what another poster said, transportation money from the feds will only go to other projects if the Beach doesn't attempt to get it.

I havent had a raise in years, but am I going to position myself against the DoD? Heck NO!

Edited by lil-bear

And here comes the police union... :rolleyes:

http://hamptonroads....y-no-light-rail

Two groups representing the city's police officers voted Thursday to oppose extending light rail into the city. The vote came a little more than a week after the city's firefighters union took a similar stance.

"The city is always complaining there isn't enough money to pay for services or hire additional officers, yet they're trying to push light rail through," said Chip Condon, president of the Virginia Beach Police Supervisors Association.

The vote by firefighters last week came a day after the City Council approved a $2 billion budget package that raised the real estate tax rate but did not include raises for city employees. School employees received 2 percent raises.

So let me get this straight, because you didn't get a raise justifies holding the rest of the city hostage? I didn't get a raise last year either (though I did get one this year). A lot of people in the private sector are in the exact same boat. This issue has nothing to do with light rail and if you truly have a grievance perhaps it's better to take it up with the union bosses and see if they can perhaps negotiate with the city. The funny thing is, it looks like Mos may be right about this one. The majority of the early comments seem to be against this move. I think this may have backfired.

• 2 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads....ht-rail-hilltop

Imagine riding a train to shop at Whole Foods, browse through swanky boutiques or dine at some of the area's most upscale restaurants.

Long-range city planners have suggested taking the proposed light-rail line to the popular Hilltop shopping area - a new idea that has some City Council members and residents excited.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is good to hear, hopefully that 60% will show up to the polls to vote for it. I think VB has a unique chance to create the VB Blvd Urban Corridor that stretches the length of the city. I don't really see any additional lines of lightrail in VB, but I do see this one extension being a key one for future urban developments.

I definitely want to see VB create an urban corridor along a light rail line.

A recent survey says 60% of VB residents are backing LR to the Beach.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/09/survey-light-rail-riders-back-va-beach-expansion

Actually, it looks like that was just a poll of light rail riders, 60% of whom want to see it extended to VB. Haven't seen a poll of just VB residents yet, which is curious considering how close we are to the election.

• 4 weeks later...

Light rail referendum to pass. Trains projected to be running 2018 at the earliest.

And it wasn't even close! 62-37! I would've paid good money to see the look on the faces at VBTA headquarters last night :lol:. Lots of heads exploding. They had a small and exclusive world view that failed to take into account the changing demographics of the area and the probably need to do some soul searching on that. I will point out however that a 62-37% result means there was significant support on all sides of the political spectrum.

This just further lets me know that the Pilot commenters do not, in any way, shape, or form, represent the views of this area. To hear them tell it, everyone in VB wants Sessoms out and hates LRT. Good to know that both are false by a longshot.

And it wasn't even close! 62-37! I would've paid good money to see the look on the faces at VBTA headquarters last night :lol:. Lots of heads exploding. They had a small and exclusive world view that failed to take into account the changing demographics of the area and the probably need to do some soul searching on that. I will point out however that a 62-37% result means there was significant support on all sides of the political spectrum.

I almost forgot about this, this is amazing news for Virginia Beach and something I never thought I would see. I might actually get to see the VB Blvd turn into an urban corridor during my lifetime which will be an amazing step forward for a very suburban Virginia Beach.

Good work guys!

I have to be honest, as much as I can't stand her views or opinions, I am soooooo looking forward to how Kerry Daugherty is going to spin this one. The people have spoken, and she and her VBTA followers were soundly beaten. Lets not forget, those on the city council ballots who supported LR and the arena were vote IN. Those who ran against these projects and were more like tea party mouth pieces were NOT ELECTED.

I am genuinely proud of this area right now, and it shows that we are coming of age.

Edited by mistermetaj

• 3 weeks later...

City council approved an ordinance to pursue light rail and development. The study for it by HRT is to be completed by spring of 2014 but the mayor says that this time frame is discouraging to him (don't we all agree) and is going to ask for an update in January.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/11/va-beach-council-agrees-pursue-light-rail-financing

Pilot damn near gave me a heart attack this morning. No one on council is even hinting at BRT. The referendum was about light rail and that's what people wanted. There is no way you're gonna get the residents of VB on a glorified bus, that's just fact. Title of the article is misleading and gives the impression that this is being seriously considered, it is not. It is just part of the alternatives study, which was done for Norfolk's system as well where BRT was also "considered"

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/virginia-beach-could-opt-buses-over-light-rail