Virginia Beach Light Rail and Transit

vdogg

There was a man stabbed near little neck rd. Wonder if the light rail opponents are going to blame that to say no to light rail! LOL

I find that light rail detractors and this guy have a similar thought process.

37867410.jpg

Here is just a typical response from that article:

"NI light rail

Submitted by zee61 on Mon, 05/20/2013 at 9:01 am.

If Light rail comes to Va Beach be ready for an increase in crime everywhere they have a stop. The beachfront will become a haven for thugs and gangs. Riots will be a common event on the weekends. The businesses will die at the Oceanfront from thugs riding the light rail from Norfolk causing mayhem and then just riding their cheap transportation back where they came from. NO to Light Rail !"

If Light rail comes to Va Beach be ready for an increase in crime everywhere they have a stop. The beachfront will become a haven for thugs and gangs. Riots will be a common event on the weekends. The businesses will die at the Oceanfront from thugs riding the light rail from Norfolk causing mayhem and then just riding their cheap transportation back where they came from. NO to Light Rail !"

Edited by lil-bear

Yes...because crime is so rampant in downtown Norfolk because of LRT.  :rolleyes:

I mean, we shouldn't be surprised...these same idiots were saying this long before the incident at the Oceanfront. It's just unfortunate that it had to happen when the city was right in the middle of the proposal process. It's also unfortunate that we have so many narrow-minded people in this area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013-08-14/html/2013-19623.htm

Looks like we're moving into the EIS phase of the transit study. Slowly but surely we're getting there. Remember, this is the federal portion and is separate and apart from the private proposal (which we should be hearing more about soon).

Does the EIS still cover the private part anyhow?  Just thinking it would be silly to get funding for part of light rail and have part of the line fall through because of financing issues.

Does the EIS still cover the private part anyhow?  Just thinking it would be silly to get funding for part of light rail and have part of the line fall through because of financing issues.

Yes, the EIS covers the entirety of the route from Newtown to the Oceanfront. The private portion does not depend on the EIS being completed because it does not use federal funds. That said, I doubt completing the private portion prior to the EIS being completed will jeopardize funds for the entire route. We probably just wouldn't be able to use funds for that section.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh boy:

The $1.05 billion price tag was among cost and ridership projections put out by HRT as part of an ongoing study into the possibility of extending Norfolk’s line into Virginia Beach.The estimate, announced at today’s Virginia Beach City Council meeting, was nearly $200 million more than the last one, from 2011, that pegged the cost of building a light rail line from Newtown Road to the Oceanfront at $807 million.

The city’s cost to build a $1 billion light rail line to the Oceanfront would be about $250 million based on the traditional model of the federal government paying 50 percent, the state paying 25 percent and the city paying for 25 percent.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/09/virginia-beach-light-rail-estimate-tops-1-billion

Let the games begin. The private sector estimate to rosemont is still 235 mil to HRT's 440. I say let the private sector do that, and if they bring that in on time and on budget, let them bid for the rest. Maybe once they see what the private sector can accomplish HRT will get their house in order.

Agreed with the private sector paying for the Rosemont extension, if nothing else, to shut up the crybabies. I don't think this area can afford to wait until 2020, esp. if they want an arena and Hell freezes over this area actually does land a team.

Even without the team, with Town Center expanding, LRT in that area will be critical.

From WTKR's newscast this evening, VB officials are apparently wanting to get the Tide going ASAP with stops at Witchduck Rd., Town Center, and Rosemont Road.

http://wtkr.com/2013/09/18/beach-officials-plan-to-extend-light-rail-to-rosemont-road/

On every extension plan that I've seen, those 3 VB stops are on all of them. After that, the disagreements begin on whether the line should stay due east or head up to the Hilltop area. So, you might as well get the stops that are universally agreed upon out of the way first. By the way, connecting downtown Norfolk with the Town Center/Pembroke area will stop most of that "it don't go anywhere" talk.

Edited by jeffconn

OK,  The article says the city still needs federal approval for funds.  I thought that the private proposal didn't need federal funding. Am I missing something????

That confused me too and I think it is an error of sorts. This city still hasn't chosen a private plan, the rfp is still open till Oct 21st. After a private plan is selected (lets face it, we all know this is the way they're headed) then there are certain provisions in the new starts program where the city may be able to recoup some of the 235 mil they would be on the hook for. I think that this is the reason why they are saying they still need federal funds. They are going to pursue an extension now that is compliant with federal conditions so that they can still pursue federal funding at a later date.

http://beyonddc.com/log/?p=5615

Something like this:

Maryland Governor O’Malley is expected to announce today that the federal government has approved the Purple Line’s planning, and that Maryland will seek a private company to help pay for construction.

The idea is that a private company would pool its money together with state and federal funding to construct the Purple Line. The same company would then operate the line. In exchange, they would keep the fares, and Maryland would pay an annual contract fee.

With limited federal funds available, this type of public-private partnership is becoming common nationwide. DC is considering it for streetcars, but Denver offers a more instructive example.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that the city asking for other proposals was just a formality. I think they have already decided to go with the original proposal.

Why in the world would a company propose maglev? Seems dumb to exit a light rail train at newtown and then enter a maglev train. Might as well have Rapid Bus Transit....