Virginia Beach Light Rail and Transit

vdogg

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

It would cost $327M to expand to Town Center. Honestly, I get the feasibility studies, but like the arena, the more and more City Council sits on this project, the higher the price tag raises.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/09/hrt-cost-bring-light-rail-town-center-327m

Exactly. Then you have Sessoms talking about more studies and Dyer talking about another referendum (why?!?!). The longer they mess around with this the more momentum they lose. And I seriously doubt we need 4 more vehicles and an improved HRT control center (seriously?). That's probably half the cost right there. Let's cut HRT out of the process altogether, put this thing up for competitive bid like we were going to in the first place, and get this thing moving. We need to stop wasting time.

• 1 month later...

I'm confused. I could've sworn articles like this belonged in the editorial section with all the other opinion. This sure as hell isn't journalism, and definitely isn't balanced. Their is not an opposing view in this entire article, merely a parroting of political talking points.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/10/light-rail-or-lie-rail-foe-tears-tide-beach-talk

"

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/19227-virginia-beach-light-rail-and-transit/page-46#entry1335540

VB's City Manager recommends expanding to Town Center, then extending The Tide in the future. Of course, there's also this...

The scenario presented by Hansen also keeps alive the possibility that future legs of the rail service could reach the Oceanfront by relying on the controversial Maglev technology favored by city staff and some council members. Extending through Hilltop to the resort area would cost $1.3 billion.

They just won't let this Maglev crap die.

Council is wishy washy. Mayor says arena deal is a go at State of City.. light rail is going to happen. It's inevitable. This rhetoric is ridiculous and impeding the progress of our city. We need a strong leader and a clear focus. Virginia Beach and Norfolk are destined to break into the major league. 

The absolute lack of realistic vision from one segment of leadership (that is, the maglev side), and the absolute intransigence of the other (the "we don't want those Norfolk types in our seaside town" side), are fascinating and disheartening. I'm wondering if I'll ever see this in my lifetime.

I think those who are against LRT have a lack of vision. We need multiple modes of transportation options to fully realize our metropolitan potential.

To rely on only roads to get around is one dimensional, while investing in other ways of getting around is multi-dimensional.

• 3 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/04/hearing-offers-mixed-views-va-beach-light-rail

We need to get people to start attending these meetings. I recognized all the names quoted from the people who were against and it's the same tea party folks who complain about, well , everything. Do not let them bomb these meetings and give a disproportionate view of how the citizens of this city view light rail (like the do in the comments section). This effort of theirs is very transparent and disingenuous.

I wish we could teleport all of them back to 1776.

I bet 99 percent of them would throw away their guns and run in a heart beat if they had to really bleed for this country.

The mentality of the tea-party members is baffling because almost everything they stand for is "un-American" in nature.

I feel it's important at a minimum to get light rail to town center. While I really hope it would go further it's at least a good start. I'm happy to hear one of our own here will stand in support of it. I would attend myself but I'm currently out of town.

Edited by urbanvb

I wish I could make it, but I'd also want to throw something at one of the NIMBYs... :P

Glad to see the forum get some representation. I really, really hate the idea of the minority having the loudest voice, and using fearmongering to bully others into seeing things their way.

I wish I could make it, but I'd also want to throw something at one of the NIMBYs... :P

Glad to see the forum get some representation. I really, really hate the idea of the minority having the loudest voice, and using fearmongering to bully others into seeing things their way.

But if you listen to the anti-progress crowd, they ARE the majority. The poll in 1999 said so.

I wonder if Norfolk would give VB any "payback" with opposing the LR extension....or not letting it connect to track within the city limits of Norfolk....since VB is screwing with Norfolk about the road/access at the planned outlet center?

Doubtful, the downside to doing something like that would be substantial. Norfolk would only benefit from Va. Beach connecting to light rail.