Virginia Beach Light Rail and Transit

vdogg

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/10/virginia-beach-councilmen-propose-funding-cut-light-rail-referendum#_ga=1.223601181.728525343.1443265937

Against the backdrop of a $33 million budget shortfall next year, two city councilmen on Tuesday brought forward different proposals designed to slow or derail a proposal to bring light rail to Town Center.

Councilman John Moss introduced a resolution calling for the city to defund $20 million for light rail-related expenses, which was already approved in this year’s budget. The money is for engineering and design work, personnel hirings, utility improvements and other core needs as the city continues to research a light-rail extension

Im moving to a real city 

I keep thinking of what I want to say about Moss and Dyer's "proposals", but nothing I can come up with is appropriate for a public forum. I'll just keep my mouth shut...

Edited by vdogg

Its disheartening-- 

Per the inside biz article, they were supposed to discuss the arena today as well. I'm sure that just didn't happen. The vision for VB has been clearly defined and financed thru the millions and millions of dollars spent on lofty plans and vision statements. The counterproductive, antidevelopment rhetoric that a minority of VB residents and council members keep spewing is sickening. The City of VB and the region has so so so much potential. Town Center and the Oceanfront could support tens of new medium/ high density developments, esp. residential, retail, entertainment that would give us a sense of place and pride in our hometown.. and I agree.. It feels like we keep getting slapped in the face by the lack of foresight and fear of progress. VB will reach its full potential one day. Even if it takes decades and decades. All Moss/Dyer want to do is delay the inevitable. 

Edited by varider
  • Like 2

My big fear is Moss and Dyer trying to use this to convince the other council members that this isn't needed, or that Maglev is still the better option. Their selfishness is killing potential for this entire region, and HR cannot afford to relive what happened in 1999. 

Council needs to read the Pilot editorial about not letting personal politics ruin a good opportunity. They also need to stay far away from anything Kerry Dougherty has to say.

Dyer proposed putting the issue before voters in a November 2016 referendum that would be a simple yes-or-no vote on whether the city should approve light rail. According to Dyer, the council can vote to put an item up for a referendum.

Isn't this more or less what they did about three years ago? This grandstanding that council members are doing is inexcusable.

Edited by BFG

So it makes logical sense to the city councilors to build a multi-million dollar arena that has no tenant and would be dark a lot of the time, but not build light-rail that through a referendum the people said they wanted and would support? A light rail that would spur development along it's route instead of just right around it like an arena would? A light rail that would help (even if a little bit) alleviate SOME traffic? A light rail that would link the Oceanfront or TC to DT Norfolk that certainly would help tourism even more? Seems like the arena would be the bigger waste to me.

Norfolk truly is the urban center and is doing (mostly) the right things.....Virginia Beach is just a sea of sprawl that is unpleasant to be in.

I'm okay with the arena, being it could bring more concerts outside of Amphitheater season, and the opening rounds of the NCAA tournament. 

As the "Bring the Tide to Virginia Beach" FB page notes, I still wonder why we need a minor-league baseball team and stadium though. I get that they'll play at a level under the Tides, but it still doesn't seem all that necessary. 

I live in Norfolk, but I do believe an email to city council is in order. They need to be told to stop holding this region hostage with petty politics. I'm extremely frustrated by this latest development.

Looks like John Holland's article was filled with quite a few errors. Haven't been a fan of his since that "exposé" he did on Mayor Sessoms last year, but the VB Director of Finance offered this rebuttal. If you have trouble seeing it, it's also on the Bring the Tide to VB Facebook page.

12140907_10153685276904860_2069108267402309747_o.png

Edited by BFG
I see FB links show up directly here...pretty cool

I've been going on this site for years and finally decided to join!  I was told by someone i know who is related to a retired vb city engineer that the city wants to (as we all know) extend light rail to Town Center and then branch off with overhead rail up Independence to the base at Little Creek and south to the municipal center.  I used to support light rail but now like the monorail idea better.  It is cheaper to build, maintain, and operate than light rail.  Monorail can also move the same amount of passengers at up to at least 50 mph. 

Edited by tallguy81"

I've been going on this site for years and finally decided to join!  I was told by someone i know who is related to a retired vb city engineer that the city wants to (as we all know) extend light rail to Town Center and then branch off with overhead rail up Independence to the base at Little Creek and south to the municipal center.  I used to support light rail but now like the monorail idea better.  It is cheaper to build, maintain, and operate than light rail.  Monorail can also move the same amount of passengers at up to at least 50 mph. 

There are two main issues with the monorail. Number one is the monorail is going to be built by the same company that failed to build the monorail at Old Dominion University, and left them with unused tracks that the university has to pay to take down. They still owe the University (and state) money. In fact, this company has yet to build any project nationwide. It's all smoke and mirrors, it's a scam. Second is the fact that we are changing modes of transportation on what is essentially a starter line. We need to at least build the main line all the way to the oceanfront and then decide if we want to change modes of transportation. Let's have a little continuity between the cities for once instead of throwing a hodgepodge of ideas at the situation like we always do in Hampton Roads.

Edited by vdogg

I meant monorail like disney and vegas and moscow.

My bad, I thought you were referring to the maglev. It's a thought, I would still rather not change modes in the middle of the line. It's not a very practical use of that right of way. Now once you get down to the oceanfront, I could see a monorail loop moving people around the big attractions (arena, dome site, aquarium, etc). I wouldn't mind seeing that and that would actually be more in line with a Vegas, Disney, etc. I just don't see it as a main mode of commuter mass transit.

Edited by vdogg

look up monorail on wikipedia.  You would be surprised how large and fast some routes are.  one is 17 miles and another is a 50 mph route. Streetcars are too expensive and the fire department and ems and police would have a hard time getting through at at grade crossings where there are non major roadways.  

Found this tidbit on the agenda for next week's council meeting...

5. Ordinance to AMEND the Capital Improvement Program and FY 2016 Operating Budget and ESTABLISH a Mitigation account re Light Rail

Dunno how much John Moss's suggestion from the last meeting plays into this. I'm guessing VB is still interested but wants to cover its bases and minimize any possible losses. Nothing about the arena on the agenda.

Edited by BFG

Found this tidbit on the agenda for next week's council meeting...

Dunno how much John Moss's suggestion from the last meeting plays into this. I'm guessing VB is still interested but wants to cover its bases and minimize any possible losses. Nothing about the arena on the agenda.

It's a public hearing to amend the 2016 budget and I assume to strip the previously agreed to light rail funds. I'm pretty sure this is Moss's proposal and I doubt he has majority council support. But, you know, gotta keep his name in the papers somehow...

If this whole thing implodes, like it looks like it may, I'll be living in Norfolk if I ever end up in the HR area again. At least they're trying to do things more efficiently and making steps to building a coherent urban fabric. Virginia Beach seems stuck in a 1960s suburb mentality. Even Town Center will never be much more than a small, Disney World downtown until it gets a real mass transit connection to the waterfront and Norfolk.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/10/battle-over-extending-light-rail-virginia-beach-heating#_ga=1.98196118.829525846.1438141595

John Moss ladies and gentlemen. The light rail now people need to get on this before it gains momentum. Another referendum...I can't believe they squandered the opportunity from the last referendum.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/10/battle-over-extending-light-rail-virginia-beach-heating#_ga=1.98196118.829525846.1438141595

John Moss ladies and gentlemen. The light rail now people need to get on this before it gains momentum. Another referendum...I can't believe they squandered the opportunity from the last referendum.

This is getting ridiculous. I'm starting to believe that the naysayers may end up getting their wish and keeping Virginia Beach in the 20th Century. The longer this drags out, the higher the costs go. If we wait too long the state funding goes away (and to NOVA or Richmond). 

This is getting ridiculous. I'm starting to believe that the naysayers may end up getting their wish and keeping Virginia Beach in the 20th Century. The longer this drags out, the higher the costs go. If we wait too long the state funding goes away (and to NOVA or Richmond). 

You think you're good at that, wait till you see us!

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/10/virginia-beach-council-opts-keep-lightrail-funds-budget-despite-shortfall#_ga=1.156599997.728525343.1443265937

VIRGINIA BEACH

The City Council snubbed a proposal Tuesday night from Councilman John Moss to move money dedicated for light rail plans to plug a projected budget hole.

Moss’ resolution never came to a vote because no one stepped up at the meeting in support of rerouting $10 million in light rail funding to help cover the city’s $33 million budget shortfall next year.