Virginia Beach Light Rail and Transit

vdogg

http://pilotonline.com/opinion/letters/letter-a-done-deal/article_eb8ae4f8-7bc8-52cd-9765-d70bd4ef7ad0.html

An anti-LRT letter to the VP.

Comments are a little off. If I am correct, all the trains in Norfolk are being used. When it is extended to VBTC, a few more trains will be needed because of additional trips.

21 hours ago, OBXastronaut said:

It's utterly ridiculous that while the vast majority of his constituents have voted FOR the light rail, he decides that he would rather turn away the funding that would largely alleviate the cost of the rail the citizens have stated loudly they desire. I still have yet to hear of anyone who voted yes because they simply misunderstood the question on the referendum (as the NIMBYs keep saying).

That said, I keep hearing that the current cost estimates are VERY high-end estimates and that the overall cost is expected to come down significantly. I just wonder what that number is. I also wonder from a lot of the "no" votes if there is a number that the cost could come down to that would put them in favor. I know in many cases, there are those who wouldn't want Light Rail if the developers behind it gave the city hundreds of millions.... oh wait a minute.. they will (in the many benefits that Light Rail will bring).

What angers me is that Moss thinks he speaks for all of VB and Hampton Roads. Plenty of people throughout the region want light rail, and recognize the benefits and necessity of it all. Unfortunately, he leads a vocal minority that will do whatever it takes to stop this from happening, and it's despicable. I wish the Pilot would stop giving him a microphone.

You had your chance three years ago. If you didn't want it, you should've shown up in stronger numbers. The people have spoken.

• Like 2

http://pilotonline.com/opinion/columnist/guest/john-sparrow-a-new-yorker-s-perspective-on-light-rail/article_331c7a35-ebac-5366-b9ee-7a7c4f8f8f6b.html

So this guy is trying to use a comparison between a starter Light rail line in Norfolk that has been in operation for less than a decade to an extensive subway system that has been in operation for over a century to discredit the expansion into Virginia Beach? UMM, isn't that comparing apples to oranges? Plus the population densities are much more different.

http://pilotonline.com/opinion/editorial/editorial-lead-now-on-light-rail/article_436ea05b-cd6c-5c02-a475-fa44408b91c1.html

Great editorial. I think that the commenters miss the point the VP is making.

There was vision to the future when VB merged with PA county and when VB built the Lake Gaston Pipeline. LRT is also a vision and investment for the future.

The Bring the Tide to Virginia Beach Facebook page has reports of anti-LRT people collecting signatures for the petition. Except...some of the representatives are using intentionally misleading language to trick people into signing. The city really needs to look into this.

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/transportation/does-hampton-roads-want-millennials-they-want-better-transit-research/article_d531f02b-d214-5e08-bcff-9faf35fab6a2.html

“The populations are different,” Atkinson said. “The city of Virginia Beach offers something to those willing to pay for it.

“Those that want a freebie (of subsidized public transportation) can move to Norfolk.”

- John Atkinson, Virginia Beach City Treasurer

"I will no longer spend my money in the city of Virginia Beach"

- carolinaboy

28 minutes ago, lil-bear said:

Ugh sounds like the typical Boomer-Millennial disconnect she and every other Boomer is guilty of. We as Millennials are lazy and entitled and the Boomers know us better, and once we "grow up," we'll continue the trend of moving to the suburbs because it's what we're supposed to do. If she wanted to build a stronger argument, she would present concrete evidence of Millennials actually doing that, but there are hard facts out there that show families and households are forming later on life, and that Millennials are slower to move out to the burbs (and when they do, they still want a walkable urban-ish center that can serve as a commercial hub or have access to commuter rail stations). Maybe Kerry would benefit from actually talking to some of us Millennials that she is so quick to dismiss...

I'm not even going to get the paper the free click. What irritates me about Kerry is that she repeatedly confuses opinion with fact, and still manages to get the story wrong. And then she hides behind her narrow-minded opinion, with nothing else to stand on.

What's worse is, her readers continue to lap it up. It's unfortunate that this may very well go to a referendum, thanks to shady politicians. Talk about a slap in the face to your voters.

The pilot made a pretty inflammatory post about people who want light rail on their Facebook page.  Let's just say,  they did not choose their audience wisely.  :lol: People are absolutely tearing them up. This is good to see, light rail may have more support than I thought.  At the very least,  their comment and Kerry's article seems to have backfired.

55 minutes ago, NFKjeff said:

^^^

I can't understand all of this generational cultural warfare, although I have seen it before. I was boen in '62, so technically I'm from the tail end of the baby boom, but I will say I know just some fantastic people that came up in the generations behind me, most of the ones that I know actually. This silly generatiknal turf war has to stop, because it occurs to the detriment of us all.

Coud somebody please tell me how to clear out my comment box? Thank you.

It does that to me too sometimes.  I think it's a bug. I'll bring it up to Admin.

http://southsidedaily.com/2016/03/14/beach-council-members-withdraw-light-rail-referendum-request/

I think this is a step in the right direction, but as long as the Anti-LRT crowd continues to gather votes under false pretenses, I'm not quite sure.

Beach council members withdraw light rail referendum request

The City Council was scheduled to vote on the resolution Tuesday, but Councilwoman Rosemary Wilson wrote in a letter Friday to the mayor and other council members that she intended to request withdrawal of the resolution from the agenda.
Edited by BFG

On 3/5/2016 at 1:25 PM, Blackbird Fly said:

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/03/virginia-beach-light-rail-millennials/472308/

Virginia Beach's treasurer, John Atkinson, says young people seeking a light-rail “freebie” should look elsewhere. This is a bad look for VB--hopefully this guy's position is up for vote soon. 

Wow, if I am ever back in VB, remind me to punch this guy in the nuts for this comment. He is basically what is wrong with VB and should have been removed from office a long time ago.

• Like 2