Virginia Beach Light Rail and Transit

vdogg

20 minutes ago, urbanvb said:

And does anyone else feel BRT would never work? Even if the city used the row of land they purchased I just don’t see it being successful. On a side note I noticed Priority Group has left the old Circuit City building which the city owns. 

I dunno...even with a dedicated line in place, it just seems weird to have it there, as opposed to alongside VB Blvd. But, it would be ironic if they did this; I believe the estimated cost for BRT would be even higher than LRT.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, urbanvb said:

And does anyone else feel BRT would never work? Even if the city used the row of land they purchased I just don’t see it being successful. On a side note I noticed Priority Group has left the old Circuit City building which the city owns. 

Has the perception of buses changed in VB in recent years? I remember back in the day, buses were seen as unreliable and only for the poor and elderly that didn't have any other way to get around. I couldn't imagine people in VB giving up their cars to ride buses to get around, even with BRT.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, urbanlife said:

Has the perception of buses changed in VB in recent years? I remember back in the day, buses were seen as unreliable and only for the poor and elderly that didn't have any other way to get around. I couldn't imagine people in VB giving up their cars to ride buses to get around, even with BRT.

^ This. No one cares about buses. There is a negative connotation with them whether that right or wrong, it is what it is.  Bus schedules are complicated and routes are not really posted like light rail is.

2 hours ago, Virginia City said:

^ This. No one cares about buses. There is a negative connotation with them whether that right or wrong, it is what it is.  Bus schedules are complicated and routes are not really posted like light rail is.

This can be avoided by having BRT run in their own lanes and done in a way similar to light rail, but there is still that perception of buses that I can imagine still exists there.

• Like 1

• vdogg unpinned this topic
  • 6 months later...

Not directly related to light rail in Va. Beach, but we're certainly not alone when it comes to resistance to transit projects. There's some good points in this article that covers some similar issues that we faced.

• 3 years later...

Hey everyone, just wanted to provide a reminder to look out for public opinion polls being conducted by the Virginia Beach Department of Planning & Community Development’s Comprehensive Planning Division that will be going out sometime soon!

There will be sections on it related to transit, including Light Rail. I’ve been trying to push to keep Light Rail in the Comprehensive Plan as part of our Vision 2040 update, but senior Staff have seemed wary to keep it after the 2016 referendum debacle. Keep in mind that the vote only forbade the City from using City Tax Funds for the project; it did not ban the construction of it outright. If the Federal and State Governments decided to fund it, we would build it. 

If you’re a Virginia Beach resident, please participate and voice your support for Light Rail Transit AND Bus Rapid Transit! I will continue to update everyone on when to expect these various opportunities to participate. Also, please write to our Department voicing your support for Light Rail and why it should stay part of the Plan!

Information for Comprehensive Planning can be found at https://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/planning/2016ComprehensivePlan/Pages/Comprehensive Planning.aspx

Feel free to reach out to me directly with any questions or concerns! If you want to send your letter of support directly to me, I will be happy to forward it to the proper people!

Levi Anthony Luckenbach

City of Virginia Beach

Department of Planning & Community Development

[email protected]

• 1 year later...

VB scores a $15M federal grant to enhance safety along the old NS track bed, now known as the Virginia Beach Trail project, to connect VBTC with Norfolk.... 3 miles, shared use, including a pedestrian bridge crossing a "10 lane road."  

https://www.warner.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/2023/12/u-s-sens-mark-r-warner-and-tim-kaine-announce-over-25-6-million-in-funding-for-safety-improvements-in-virginia-beach-and-richmond

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 6:33 PM, baobabs727 said:

VB scores a $15M federal grant to enhance safety along the old NS track bed, now known as the Virginia Beach Trail project, to connect VBTC with Norfolk.... 3 miles, shared use, including a pedestrian bridge crossing a "10 lane road."  

https://www.warner.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/2023/12/u-s-sens-mark-r-warner-and-tim-kaine-announce-over-25-6-million-in-funding-for-safety-improvements-in-virginia-beach-and-richmond

So like....maybe Norfolk can involve itself in the trail plan????  maybe like, idk...just merge The Tide seamlessly into it.......maybe that's what Va Beach could use to wean the city into the idea of Norfolk being connected to the resort city.......??????????? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ONCE1stBlvd said:

So like....maybe Norfolk can involve itself in the trail plan????  maybe like, idk...just merge The Tide seamlessly into it.......maybe that's what Va Beach could use to wean the city into the idea of Norfolk being connected to the resort city.......??????????? 

Supposedly, the trail will eventually connect with a walking trail in Norfolk.  But as far as LRT, I agree with you. Unfortunately, Beach leaders seem to lack the will to push LRT or even BRT given the results of the last non-binding referendum vote. Such short=sidedness never gets one anywhere!

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 11:53 PM, Up2313 said:

I thought VB couldn't do anything with the old NS row unless it was for multi-modal transportation. Wasn't that a condition of them purchasing the land? What am I missing here. 

My understanding was that this was was true when tax dollars were used to pay for 1/2 of the $40M purchase price; however, after VB reimbursed the govt.  their $20M, VB took posession of the ROW, free and clear.