South Division Open For Business

GRDadof3

There is an article today regarding S. Division's Third Thursday promotion:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...5600.xml&coll=6

with this little blurb from Joshua Dick:

"We are hoping to hold a Mardi Gras celebration in the area in February," he said. "It won't be like New Orleans, but we think it would be a good event for us."

Here's the LINKY again from sstroh.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The art community or people that scout for folks that pretend to create stuff, like me :P ). Back in high school my art teacher told me to expose my work in a portfolio, she also told me she would provide me with local connections to artists and people in the "know," that could help me out. Well, that never transpired... blah

The shoe store mentioned here not long ago at the old Reptile House location is now open for business! :)

Peeked in the window while strolling Thursday night - not much merchandise,

but what they had appeared to be quality, if not pricey. Store interior really

nicely done. Disappointing turnout for the event...not many people out...

Tributary Gallery, 71 South, Reb's Sanctuary Gallery, and the Calvin College

Gallery space are worth the trip to Heartside. The area still needs more

of a presence to attract the kind of attention the East Hills and Fulton Street

shopping districts do now, and that will take some time and a few more

retail offerings.

• 2 weeks later...

Some photos from the newly re-opened S. Division:

78955942_3939f03f66_b.jpg

Does anyone know what the status of 101 S. Division is? It looks like there is a sign on the building saying "Gardens at the Courtyard" or something like that, but it is laying on it's side.

Quite a transformation from the old Reptile House facade:

78955940_35989e40c7_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Friday night was a lot of fun. I went to an art exhibit opening at Studio 71 South Division. It was great to see how diverse the art community is in GR. Afer the show I had the pleasure of going to the symphony, then to Bistro, and then to Cambridge House.

I suggest checking out Studio 71 South this month for the "somewhat edgy art exhibit."

Yeah, and I personally did not like the over seasoning of an obviously bland presentation of sausage. I personally don't dig sausage, and it was a little condescending of the chef to assume I was seriously interested in the sausage. Pork isn't exactly the greatest food for thought, neither is sausage, its made of pork. Personally, I think she was a little ignorant of the usage of sausage in her presentation. Sausage shouldn't been the main package, but a supporting taste to the pallet along side the center piece of pancakes, the professional quickly screams, "Amateur!". It was used haphazardly about the canvas - the plate. The plate wasn't as nearly clean, and when I tasted the sausage, the fest quickly turned into a sideshow. I give her a d-. I do this because my pallet quickly received a frigged feeling, what is the phrase, "sickeningly cute?" amateurish. I think she is mostly partial to herself only, what a bland taste, parading the sausage because the yoke in her eggs broke, how sad. Sad indeed, Mrs., or as I can taste it, Ms.

I thought it was a sausage fest. What exhibit? Wait, huh? I'm lost.

You have to check 71South's website for the exhibit. BUT, you really have to see it in person to understand the artist's (Sue Long) mission. This exhibit is quite progressive for GR. The comments I've heard about this exhibit are similar from a female perspective and quite different when from males.

That makes me wonder what type of male/female ratio we have on UP-MGR?

Isn't Edgar Meyer incredible?!

Yes, he is amazing. His "Big instrument provides beautiful sound."

I believe my commentary said it wasn't any longer a "sausage fest," but rather a "sideshow." GridGirl reminds me that the "big instrument," is hilariously funny now. Right this minute I am slurping on my 44oz of Speedway Pepsi/Cherry slushy and its really good, sausage isn't good, neither is "Big instrument provides beautiful sound."

Archived