CANCELED: Divinity Development

Mith242

Well it's not definant yet but some land around Dickson St has been sold. Just across the street from the post office. Where a shop called Something Urban and the Pettus Law Firm. It's the corner of Dickson and Block St. It's not positive just yet because I think the people who bought the land are waiting to see what happens with the rest of the mixed-use developments popping up all over that area. I get the impression the only thing holding it back is if the market becomes too saturated with mixed-use/condo developments. I will be taking some pics a little later today. I'll post more info then.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know much about Dixon, so would this be a 4 story or more 10 story?

I don't think that are market is saturated just yet, heck almost all the condo projects have sold out by now or are very close. Look forward to hearing more about this project.

They haven't even officially announced what it's going to be. But someone has bought the land that was owned by the Pettus'. They owned the law firm and also rents out the space on the corner of Dickson and Block. I was expecting the law firm to be behind it on Block but it's actually on Dickson too. There's also a lot more land involved than I originally thought. It's basically all the land fronting Dickson St between Block St and Church St. It's across the street from the post Office and Collier's. I think they'll do something with it. But it sounds like they're going to wait to see if they think that the condo market could be saturated in that area. Or maybe they're also waiting to see how big of a mixed-use development to put in. But so far there's no details of how big the possible building will be or anything. I haven't even heard who owns the land or who the developers will be. Once I hear some more info, maybe I can get Matt to change the title.

I think a nice 7 story mixed use project would fit in very well here. It looks pretty nice, and I think it's across from Collier Drug.

Yeah that's what I said. At first I thought it was more across from the post office. But I also thought the Pettus Law Firm was behind it on block, not also on Dickson. It's not too far away from the Three Sister's Development, down and across the street. I also hope this eventually spurs some developments on Block. It would be nice to have one continuous area along Dickson and then down Block to the Square.

Hopefully College can be included in that within a few years.

Yeah and this land is closer to College than any other developments on Dickson. If it wasn't for some churches I could see growth and development continuing a little more easily over to College Ave. Don't get me wrong I'm not making any statements about there shouldn't be any churches. :D

I think a nice 7 story mixed use project would fit in very well here. It looks pretty nice, and I think it's across from Collier Drug.

I'm really not sure they would consider one that tall, but it's possible. If they do I would prefer to have it 'stepped' back. Maybe have 3 or 4 stories in the front along the street. Then have it up to 7 in the back of the development. I hope to hear more details about this in the near future.

Actually, I like the idea of a 4 story building out in the front for street level Retail and a back building being 7 stories or so.

That does sound nice. I wouldn't mind seeing more retail along Dickson but I'm not sure when it might happen. I think most people associate Dickson with restaurants and bars. I don't think most retail has had much luck so far. There is a small amount of retail on the west part near the university. Although I've heard some info about one of those businesses, Mr Tux, selling out. I haven't heard anything definant on what might go in that space. But I got the impression they'd tear down that building and put something else in.

• 1 month later...

I had to go to the post office today so I decided to go by the one near Dickson St. I walked around a bit and took just a few pics. But I did notice a small sign up mentioning this future development going in front of the Planning Board on Jan 23.

• 5 weeks later...

I still haven't heard any new news from this potential development. The last I've heard is that they are waiting to see how the other mixed-use condo developments go in the area before they commit to doing one. I tried going out and taking a few more pics with my wide angle lens to see if that provided a better look. The land for the potential development is on the former Something Urban shop which used to be a gas station and the building to the right of it in the pic which used to be a law firm office. The building to the right of it and is somewhat covered up by the truck in the second shot is the Ozark Mountain Smokehouse.

img2101ss6fs.jpg

img2104ss6ex.jpg

I still haven't heard any new news from this potential development. The last I've heard is that they are waiting to see how the other mixed-use condo developments go in the area before they commit to doing one. I tried going out and taking a few more pics with my wide angle lens to see if that provided a better look. The land for the potential development is on the former Something Urban shop which used to be a gas station and the building to the right of it in the pic which used to be a law firm office. The building to the right of it and is somewhat covered up by the truck in the second shot is the Ozark Mountain Smokehouse.

That does look like a nice spot for a Mixed-Use. The road and the street lamps are really nice. There aren't any other roads anywhere near as nice as that anywhere else in Northwest Arkansas... except for maybe downtown Rogers brick roads, but even they aren't that nice.

Yeah all of this was done as the Dickson St improvement project they had a few years back. Even the traffic lights are different but it's hard to tell that from the pics I took. I do wish they moved all the utilities underground and made the whole street brick or some sort of paving stone. But other than that I don't really have anything to complain about. It will be really great once the get some more infill and get some of the mixed-use developments done.

Not surprisingly, the Barber Group is the purchaser of this prime Dickson Street property. I don't think they have finalized plans for this development yet (or at least they haven't officially announced them), but I am hearing a few details from some of the adjacent property owners who have been dealing with them over rights of way, alley vacations, etc. They all seem to indicate an 'exclusive' hotel and condos are planned. One of them told me that the plans he had been told of called for luxury condos on top of a boutique style hotel. He went on to say that the condos would be some of the most luxurious with room service, valet parking, etc available to tenants. It will be interesting to see how this develops

Not surprisingly, the Barber Group is the purchaser of this prime Dickson Street property. I don't think they have finalized plans for this development yet (or at least they haven't officially announced them), but I am hearing a few details from some of the adjacent property owners who have been dealing with them over rights of way, alley vacations, etc. They all seem to indicate an 'exclusive' hotel and condos are planned. One of them told me that the plans he had been told of called for luxury condos on top of a boutique style hotel. He went on to say that the condos would be some of the most luxurious with room service, valet parking, etc available to tenants. It will be interesting to see how this develops

Very interesting news OnDickson. Thanks for updating us on this. I don't recall ever hearing who had bought the property. But for some reason I guess I never thought of the Barber Group as being the ones. I also hadn't thought much of a hotel actually on Dickson St before. An interesting idea, although I wonder what effect being so close to some of the other hotels in the city will have. Although I do think Fayetteville can work the hotel scene more despite what John Hammons says. A boutique style hotel might just be the niche for them to try. I also don't see there being a great chance of a very tall structure around the Dickson St area. I believe Fayetteville's new buildings codes have a limit set at 4 stories, although I'm sure if it's a quality project like it sounds like the city will allow a taller building. But I'm also not sure how higher the city will be inclined to allow it. If things continue the way they are the Post Office on Dickson will end up being a bit out of place.

I have also heard about the Barber group doing a couple of hotels. One in Benton County and one in Fayetteville. A comparable hotel name I had read somewhere was the "W." Here is a link to their site.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/inde..._w_hotel_122705 (Also check out the W Residences)

I guess they do some combos of condo/hotel developments. Very impressive pictures of their developments. Now, I am sure Fayetteville won't get anything quite as fancy, but I do like the ultra modern style. Maybe this is the site for the boutique style hotel/mixed use project.

I have also heard about the Barber group doing a couple of hotels. One in Benton County and one in Fayetteville. A comparable hotel name I had read somewhere was the "W." Here is a link to their site.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/inde..._w_hotel_122705 (Also check out the W Residences)

I guess they do some combos of condo/hotel developments. Very impressive pictures of their developments. Now, I am sure Fayetteville won't get anything quite as fancy, but I do like the ultra modern style. Maybe this is the site for the boutique style hotel/mixed use project.

Thanks for the update and the link strmchsr77. I had heard talk of the Barber group doing a hotel/condo development in Benton County before but hadn't heard so much about one here in Fayetteville. I wonder if this is still up in the air or maybe they're waiting to get some developments completed first before they move forward on some other projects.

There was a little bit of info on this topic in the Business Journal today, here is what it said:

"Pettus Lot Sells to Barber Group

By Northwest Arkansas Business Journal staff

Northwest Arkansas Business Journal - 2/27/06

Brandon Barber and Seth Kaffka of The Barber Group have finally closed on a prime piece of property on Dickson Street. We knew it was under contract for a while because we had seen a filing with the Fayetteville Planning Department that pertained to the purchase.

Kaffka and Barber of Lynnkohn LLC bought the five different parcels of land from Lamar and Donna Pettus on Jan. 31 for about $5 million.

The purchase includes the building on the southwest corner of Dickson and Block streets that previously housed Something Urban, a retail store. The purchase also includes the Pettus Law Firm building, a parking lot between the two structures and the lot behind Pettus Law Firm.

From what we can figure, that

There was a little bit of info on this topic in the Business Journal today, here is what it said:

Brandon Barber and Seth Kaffka of The Barber Group have finally closed on a prime piece of property on Dickson Street. We knew it was under contract for a while because we had seen a filing with the Fayetteville Planning Department that pertained to the purchase.

Kaffka and Barber of Lynnkohn LLC bought the five different parcels of land from Lamar and Donna Pettus on Jan. 31 for about $5 million.

The purchase includes the building on the southwest corner of Dickson and Block streets that previously housed Something Urban, a retail store. The purchase also includes the Pettus Law Firm building, a parking lot between the two structures and the lot behind Pettus Law Firm.

That is excellent news.

I have been critical of the North Fayetteville project proposed by Barber Group, but this area is a no brainer for the type of development they have been proposing.

A luxury type hotel near the university and downtown makes a lot of sense. There's a niche waiting to be filled. Monied guests of the university, sports fans, or parents visiting for the weekend will give a lot of the business to a nice hotel on Dickson

I wouldn't discount the possibility of a truly luxury hotel drawing some of the corporate travelers from Benton County. As a person who has traveled the country working on real estate projects for a living, I can attest that one becomes a bit of a hotel snob as you quickly find out that hotels are essentially your home four days a week. I never stayed in anything less than four stars unless it was an emergency.

I would often look for a hotel in an entertainment district or downtown area, even if it meant a commute of several miles for my meetings, just because I wanted to sample some of the area while there on business. Downtown Fayetteville offers the only true entertainment/cultural center for out of town guests, regardless of their ultimate destination in the metro.

Its an excellent location, providing easy walking access to the square, Dickson and the University.

I'm sure it will be a grandiose development given Barber Group's flair and vision, and justifiably so on this valuable piece of real estate.

At that price tag, they can't afford not to go UP a few stories.

You got it Dickson, I am just hoping this stupid height restriction they have on buildings does not apply and/or effect this development. I bet they will try anyway. I hope one of us can get some inside info or pics on this interesting project.

Archived