SC landing another auto manufacturing facility?

krazeeboi

This article from The State talks about how Suzuki wants to expand its lineup in the US by possibly considering building a North American manufacturing plant. The Suzuki spokesperson specifically mentioned the success of BMW in the Upstate, and Charleston landing the DaimlerChysler plant helps as well. It seems to be just speculation at this point, but I'd like to remain optimistic.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BMW in addition to ICAR might be a draw to the upstate... We'll have to wait and see.

But, I think it would be great for them to locate in a county like Union that has high unemployment...

Marlboro County has the worst unemployment in the state. Once I-73 passes through there one day, it may encourage Kia or Saturn to expand/relocate down there perhaps. Thats just an idea out of my head btw.

Marlboro County has the worst unemployment in the state. Once I-73 passes through there one day, it may encourage Kia or Saturn to expand/relocate down there perhaps. Thats just an idea out of my head btw.

That's where I would like Suzuki to go, and yes, I am a little biased since Bennettsville is my wife's hometown. :blush: Marlboro County is in dire need of an employment boost, and a new car plant would be the shot in the arm that the community needs.

You know, and I'm being as objective as I can, Chas could also get Suzuki considering that it has port access. I know the company would want quick access for exporting and importing cars, parts, and machinery. Don't forget, Chas is also going to be home to an aircraft plant (Vought), so manufacturing for cars and planes could be the industrial "cluster" that many state and city leaders are striving for. Suzuki could be drawn to the beginnings of this cluster.

This article from The State talks about how Suzuki wants to expand its lineup in the US by possibly considering building a North American manufacturing plant. The Suzuki spokesperson specifically mentioned the success of BMW in the Upstate, and Charleston landing the DaimlerChysler plant helps as well. It seems to be just speculation at this point, but I'd like to remain optimistic.

Optimism has its place, but the reality is, according to the article, Suzuki said nothing about considering building a North American plant. That was a question posed by the interviewer, and the response was "This a good area for manufacturing, especially with BMW in South Carolina. Suzuki

How about Anderson Its still close to Greenville and they could have a presence with ICAR. I'd like to see Greenville land a large automotive

plant but with BMW being borderline I don't see it happening soon. Hey here's an Idea with GM in so much economic trouble how about them moving their headquarters to downtown Greenville to save money. I'm

sure they would recieve large taxbreaks to get them back on their feet.

How about Anderson Its still close to Greenville and they could have a presence with ICAR. I'd like to see Greenville land a large automotive

plant but with BMW being borderline I don't see it happening soon. Hey here's an Idea with GM in so much economic trouble how about them moving their headquarters to downtown Greenville to save money. I'm

sure they would recieve large taxbreaks to get them back on their feet.

Please read either the article or Robtex' post.

I wouldn't get your hopes up quite yet.

Suzuki, like Mitsubishi, is having a very hard time maintaining market share & sales in the US, primarily because of their image of being cheaply made cars. I can't see Suzuki making such a large investment if they may not be selling cars in the US much longer.

Waccamatt I did read the posted article and ROBTEX's post. I did not imply that a plant of any type would be built what I said is how about Anderson.If you would have read on I also said how about GM moving to Downtown Greenville.I doubt either will ever happen but the post was just in good fun.Every city hopes to lure major companies to their area.I wound not mind if Columbia recieved a major development like an automotive plant.I support anything that will better this state not just a particular region.

Archived