NIFL in Northwest Arkansas

Aporkalypse

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know where else to put this but NWA's getting a minor league football team.

The NIFL (National Indoor Football League)'s Arkansas Stars will start playing at the indoor track facility next season. It's an 8 on 8 league in mostly smaller markets, don't know much about it.

Really?

That's great news to hear, but is this a true minor league team?

BTW, where did you hear about this?

I didn't know where else to put this but NWA's getting a minor league football team.

The NIFL (National Indoor Football League)'s Arkansas Stars will start playing at the indoor track facility next season. It's an 8 on 8 league in mostly smaller markets, don't know much about it.

Thanks for the news Aporkalypse. I'll have to look more into that league.

I'm still hoping NW Arkansas can get an Arena Football team, but I'll take this Indoor League also.

The problem is that there is no off-campus venue where they would be able to play and on-campus arenas are alcohol-free and can't be used because of this (it's a big source of revenue). Most places play in true arenas but since Tulsa's arenas are all smallish they play in their convention center instead. A convention center in NWA similar to what Hot Springs has would solve a lot of problems.

It's a shame you can't just transplant Barnhill off-campus.

The problem is that there is no off-campus venue where they would be able to play and on-campus arenas are alcohol-free and can't be used because of this (it's a big source of revenue). Most places play in true arenas but since Tulsa's arenas are all smallish they play in their convention center instead. A convention center in NWA similar to what Hot Springs has would solve a lot of problems.

It's a shame you can't just transplant Barnhill off-campus.

Yeah, yet another problem with every city building it's own convention center and competing with each other.

Not sure how that will compare to Hot Springs'. But if everyone wasn't competing with each other you could also put in a pretty big one up here.

360,000 SF

The other issue is that to be able to host sporting events the ceilings have to be very high. The LR Convention Center is built that way and always has been (at one point UALR basketball played there), but most hotel-based meeting rooms aren't.

Hot Springs has the Summit Arena, as well, which means it doesn't really need its convention center to serve that role. Of course, NWA would do well to have something similar to that arena for concerts, etc the problem is its so redundant with BWA and Barnhill on-campus.

Looks like we'll be put in the Atlantic conference and not the Pacific conference. They already have the Arkansas Stars listed under the 'teams' selection of the NIFL website. There's already a Fayetteville team, Fayetteville NC that is. I wonder which division we'll be in south or central. If we're in the central division we'll be competing directly with the other Fayetteville.

Looks like we'll be put in the Atlantic conference and not the Pacific conference. They already have the Arkansas Stars listed under the 'teams' selection of the NIFL website. There's already a Fayetteville team, Fayetteville NC that is. I wonder which division we'll be in south or central. If we're in the central division we'll be competing directly with the other Fayetteville.

Wow, we will be playing teams from Miami, Cinncinati, and Dayton.

360,000 SF

The other issue is that to be able to host sporting events the ceilings have to be very high. The LR Convention Center is built that way and always has been (at one point UALR basketball played there), but most hotel-based meeting rooms aren't.

Hot Springs has the Summit Arena, as well, which means it doesn't really need its convention center to serve that role. Of course, NWA would do well to have something similar to that arena for concerts, etc the problem is its so redundant with BWA and Barnhill on-campus.

Yeah it would be great to have some nice facilities outside the U of A campus. I seriously wonder if this new NIFL team is in Fayetteville instead of any other NWA city because no one else has any facilities for them. To be honest I figured most semi-pro teams like this would probably be outside of Fayetteville.

Yeah it would be great to have some nice facilities outside the U of A campus. I seriously wonder if this new NIFL team is in Fayetteville instead of any other NWA city because no one else has any facilities for them. To be honest I figured most semi-pro teams like this would probably be outside of Fayetteville.

I would say yes . Yes to the fact that Fayetteville is getting the team because they are the only city that has a facility to hold the team, until Springdale get's their stadium done. But, I also think the chose Fayetteville because it has the largest young crowd, plus there already plenty of restaurants and bars.

I would say yes . Yes to the fact that Fayetteville is getting the team because they are the only city that has a facility to hold the team, until Springdale get's their stadium done. But, I also think the chose Fayetteville because it has the largest young crowd, plus there already plenty of restaurants and bars.

Yeah but there aren't many that close to this facility. With what's going on up in Benton County I'm a little surprised no one has thought to build some sort of facility up there to house some osrt of sports team. Maybe they're waiting for the county to go wet first or something.

Maybe they're waiting for the county to go wet first or something.

Bingo.

The developers of the Springdale Entertainment and Sports Complex were going to build in Bentonville until the realized they couldn't sell beer at the games and sporting/ entertainment venues. Thus, they went to Springdale. I don't think they would have waited either, because we haven't had anything for so long, they probably would rather make a profit now, instead of waiting for 4 years or longer and not get anything.

Bingo.

The developers of the Springdale Entertainment and Sports Complex were going to build in Bentonville until the realized they couldn't sell beer at the games and sporting/ entertainment venues. Thus, they went to Springdale. I don't think they would have waited either, because we haven't had anything for so long, they probably would rather make a profit now, instead of waiting for 4 years or longer and not get anything.

I wonder if they'll build all this in Springdale just to pull out and build this in Benton County say 5 years down the road or something.

Archived