Chik-fil-a Bowl!?!?!?!?

ironchapman

According to this article in the AJC, our beloved Peach Bowl will lose the "Peach" in 2006 and become the "Chik-fil-a Bowl".

Is nothing sacred? They'd like to see the bowl earn a spot in the college football championship series along with the likes of the Sugar and Rose Bowl.

Following their tradition, I wish we could keep the "Peach" (having Chik-fil-a in front of the word is not something I necessarily mind). After all, it's still the [Nokia] Sugar Bowl, not the Nokia Bowl. Imagine the uproar if they tried to change it!

:angry::angry:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont like this move.

The "Peach Bowl" has been around for almost 40 years now, and the name will be changed just like that. I actually liked "The Chik-fil-a Peach Bowl"

They said that the namechange may help move the Peach Bowl forward to become a BCS bowl, while none of the BCS bowls' names are totally controlled by the sponsor.

The Rose Bowl (presented by CitiBank)

The Nokia Sugar Bowl

The Tostitos Fiesta Bowl

The FedEx Orange Bowl

After all, it's still the [Nokia]Sugar Bowl, not the Nokia Bowl. Imagine the uproar if they tried to change it!

There would be a huge uproar in New Orleans if they tried to change the name. The name has alot of history to it.

When the Sugar Bowl first came into action, it was played in Tulane Stadium in New Orleans, the 80,000 seat stadium that both Tulane University and the New Orleans Saints played in before the Superdome was constructed. Tulane Stadium sat on what used to be part of a very large sugar plantation, just on the outside of the city, hence "The Sugar Bowl." ;) Sadly, Tulane Stadium was destroyed by Tulane University in the 80's, and was replaced with more classrooms.

Thank you for reading NCB's history lesson. :lol:

southernyank Posted Today, 09:27 AM According to a calendar in the "Atlanta Tribune," the "peach" will remain and it will be from now on known as "The Chik-fil-a Peach Bowl."

^Hasn't it been the "Chic-fil-a Peach Bowl" for a few years now?

(From what Ive read online) the owner of the restaurant hates gay people. I have read a few other things about him...and I think he is one of these holier than though church people. I dont like him or his company.

From what you read online.......and can you share with us the sources and what it is you read online?

While Mr Cathy does profess his love for his religion, I do not feel him to be a holier than thou type person. Even still, Chick-fil-a is a company of over a thousand stores and you can not tell me that his personal belief in G-d is share by each and every one of his employees. If you want to disagree with him and his belief than you have every right to do so with civility. To make a blanket statement about a whole organization is not fair at all.

From what you read online.......and can you share with us the sources and what it is you read online?

While Mr Cathy does profess his love for his religion, I do not feel him to be a holier than thou type person. Even still, Chick-fil-a is a company of over a thousand stores and you can not tell me that his personal belief in G-d is share by each and every one of his employees. If you want to disagree with him and his belief than you have every right to do so with civility. To make a blanket statement about a whole organization is not fair at all.

I think that reputation is probably just the result of Mr. Cathy's support for groups like Focus on the Family, which have taken some pretty strong anti-gay positions, and his affiliation with various political and social causes which are not known for being particularly gay-friendly. However, supporting groups which are anti-gay or not gay-friendly doesn't necessarily mean he is opposed to gays, and even if he is I don't see how anyone can possibly say that each and every employee of the company feels the same way.

Chik-Fil-A is closely associated with Atlanta, I dont think its a bad move.

God forbid someone actually runs a good, honest company that stands for his beliefs rather than sell out to the corporate trash that America has become. that is one of the specific reasons I will go to Chik-Fil-A over any other place. Cathy very much respects his employees, and they really appreciate that Sunday off, whether it be for religious reasons or just a day off.

Thats not even to mention that the employees ACTUALLY TREAT THE CUSTOMERS WITH RESPECT. Every time I go there its yes sir, no sir, my pleasure sir. I would much prefer to give my money to that than some punk that thinks hes to good to work at a fast food restaurant and is disrespectful to me. A little bit goes along way, especially in business.

Just because someone doesnt agree with homosexuality doesnt mean they hate them. That is quite a broad conclusion.

Just because someone doesnt agree with homosexuality doesnt mean they hate them. That is quite a broad conclusion.

These days there is a tendency to jump to the conclusion that just because somebody disagrees with something they are against it. There may be plenty of reasons to oppose something, regardless of whether you are against it.

Take the Beltline for instance. There are probably people who will claim the Fulton County Commission is against it if they don't vote to approve it. Yet for all we know, they could think the Beltline is the greatest thing since sliced bread, they just prefer to take a public position to the contrary.

Sorry i dont support the guy or Chick-Fil-a at all because of this guy. To tell you the truth I did a search for this a while back and cant remember what link I came upon.

Also, Cathy just recently spoke here in Anderson SC at a graduation ceremony, and said something to the likes of "while many people are trying to be politically correct, I think people should be more biblically correct." he was saying this in reference to the Happy holidays vs. Merry Christmas debate. While i dont mind his views and beliefs, I tend to think people with his type of ideas are pretty close minded. And then he closes his whole chain on Sunday due to HIS beliefs....religion and fast food dont mix!!

Sorry, thats just how I feel. :)

Sorry i dont support the guy or Chick-Fil-a at all because of this guy. To tell you the truth I did a search for this a while back and cant remember what link I came upon.

Also, Cathy just recently spoke here in Anderson SC at a graduation ceremony, and said something to the likes of "while many people are trying to be politically correct, I think people should be more biblically correct." he was saying this in reference to the Happy holidays vs. Merry Christmas debate. While i dont mind his views and beliefs, I tend to think people with his type of ideas are pretty close minded. And then he closes his whole chain on Sunday due to HIS beliefs....religion and fast food dont mix!!

Sorry, thats just how I feel. :)

Why is anything that deals with pro-religion in America frowned upon anymore? I say people are closed minded that dont think that way! Who wins?

The Atlanta SoVo calls him anti-gay in one article. There is no reasoning behind it. Think about it though. He is a very religious older man from the South. Yes, i do believe these articles.

I dont think religion is wrong, however, many of these Southern religions I totally oppose because they promote hatred.

I dont want to turn this thread into more of a religous debate, but I figured someone was going ask, so i figured i'd do it. What do you mean by "Southern Religion"?

Exactly....and if these "Southern Religions" make you feel as threatened as you appear, may I remind you, in true Georgia fashion, the following: Delta is ready when you are. :)

You don't have to accept their positions. They don't have to accept yours. Isn't America great? :wub:

Exactly....and if these "Southern Religions" make you feel as threatened as you appear, may I remind you, in true Georgia fashion, the following: Delta is ready when you are. :)

You don't have to accept their positions. They don't have to accept yours. Isn't America great? :wub:

Amen! Oops dont mean to offend. :thumbsup:

Archived