Chik-fil-a Bowl!?!?!?!?

ironchapman

I dont think religion is wrong, however, many of these Southern religions I totally oppose because they promote hatred.

They promote hatred?

You're really going to need to expand on that and explain yourself...and I would HIGHLY suggest you do it well.

Dont compare so called "southern religion" to Islamic extremists. I dont remember any baptists bombing anything lately!? But perhaps I missed something...

Awaiting your response...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Atlanta SoVo calls him anti-gay in one article. There is no reasoning behind it. Think about it though. He is a very religious older man from the South. Yes, i do believe these articles.

I dont think religion is wrong, however, many of these Southern religions I totally oppose because they promote hatred.

Well, I don't know about that. Yes, some religions have gone after gays and lesbians, but certainly not all of them. As I mentioned earlier, Cathy's anti-gay reputation probably simply comes from his support for groups like James Dobson's Focus on the Family, which have taken anti-gay positions, and his affiliation with various political and social causes which are not known for being particularly gay-friendly. (Dobson's Family Research Council, for instance, is well known for its rather vehement anti-gay views).

However, supporting groups which are anti-gay or not gay-friendly doesn't automatically mean somebody personally feels that way. Cathy could be fully supportive of gay citizens, while simply choosing to ally himself with those who are not. People are quick to assume that someone's public activities reflect their private opinions yet that isn't always the case.

It Doesnt matter to me. Anyone who would support a group that vehemently opposes gays and lesbians might as well be a gay basher themself. And that is why I dont support Cathy and any company he owns. It is simple as that. Sorry if I have offended anyone but that is my viewpoint.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

It Doesnt matter to me. Anyone who would support a group that vehemently opposes gays and lesbians might as well be a gay basher themself. And that is why I dont support Cathy and any company he owns. It is simple as that. Sorry if I have offended anyone but that is my viewpoint.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

socaguy, you certainly haven't offended me. My point is simply that you can't always jump to conclusions about someone based on what they say or do in public. That would be like saying that if I support MoveOn.org and contribute to the Democrats then I am somehow anti-George Bush. In fact I might personally be very pro-Bush but simply choose to publicly ally myself with those who criticize him.

I would think the same logic would apply with regard to this issue with Mr. Cathy and gay people. Is it fair to label him as anti-gay simply because of his connection with groups who attack them?

Wow. Chick-fil-a is a bigotted company?? Unbelievable. I find it so amazing in this day and age of "tolerance" being preached by so many people in society, that it is in fact these people who are very in-tolerant themselves. Truett Cathy is an amazing guy, he has created a great company, and just because he is a Christian and chooses not to open his retaraunt on Sundays in no way means that he hates gays. He might disagree with their lifestyle, but it seems that many people disagree very much with his as well. Does that mean that those people are bigots or intolerant too?? It blows me away.

Sorry, i just had to chime in on what seemed to be a pretty ridiculous statement in the middle of this thead. Chick-fil-a is a great company that gives tons of money away to college students in the form of scholarships and lots of other things.

Oh, and by the way, MERRY CHRISTMAS :-)

... just because he is a Christian and chooses not to open his retaraunt on Sundays in no way means that he hates gays.

I don't think think they're claiming he's anti-gay because he's a Christian or closes on Sundays. (I don't think Jesus said anything about gay people). I think they're saying he's anti-gay because of his connection with anti-gay groups.

Again, however, that's making the assumption that he actually believes the things he publicly supports, which may or may not be true. People in business could well be forced to take some position they don't actually actually agree with.

hating gays and being "anti-gay" isn't the same thing at all. I personally disagree with the gay lifestyle for personal reasons, but i in no way hate gay people. If he's involved with anti-gay groups, thats his business, just as its your business if you want to be gay or support that, but you shouldn't call people biggots just because they do or don't support something.

Actually, the Nokia Sugar Bowl will probably become the Nokia Bowl when it comes time for Nokia to re-sign their contract. Most companies are doing this simple to get name presence. No one refers to the game as the Nokia Sugar Bowl, only as the Sugar Bowl, so from a marketing standpoint they are adding clauses to the contracts that will drop the original names. So don't be surprised when you start seeing the Nokia Bowl, the Tostidos Bowl, CapitalOne Bowl and so on....

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Ok, then here is another (a rational person would assume) irrational broad conclusion.

Socaguy, you support gays and lesbians which our president doesnt support. Therefore you do not support our president and thus are unpatriotic and support terrorist organizations and are helping in the war against America. This can only be true.

Sounds pretty ridiculous eh?

And for gods sake say Merry Christmas. It is what it is. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck. Talk about extremists...

(I don't think Jesus said anything about gay people)

Actually, take a look at 1 Corinthians 6:8-10:

"(8) Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers.

(9) Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders

(10) nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Thats the only one I know off the top of my head...

I'll offer my criticism.

The name "Chik-fil-a bowl" is absolutly ludicrous. "Chik-fil-a Peach Bowl" would be fine, that's what all the other bowls are doing anyway, but to ditch the peach? Even though I don't follow college football all that closely, the name "Peach Bowl" sounds like a storied game with a history and a certain significance. "Chik-Fil-A Bowl" sounds stupid, cheap, and kinda disgusting because I don't really like Chik-Fil-A. I wouldn't go to a game with such a stupid name.

Pretty soon they're going to regret selling out. Even from a financial standpoint. Ditching the "peach" name as this annual matchup loses its sense of continuity and will make the game seem worthless.

By the way, Merry Christmas!

I'll offer my criticism.

The name "Chik-fil-a bowl" is absolutly ludicrous. "Chik-fil-a Peach Bowl" would be fine, that's what all the other bowls are doing anyway, but to ditch the peach? Even though I don't follow college football all that closely, the name "Peach Bowl" sounds like a storied game with a history and a certain significance. "Chik-Fil-A Bowl" sounds stupid, cheap, and kinda disgusting because I don't really like Chik-Fil-A. I wouldn't go to a game with such a stupid name.

Pretty soon they're going to regret selling out. Even from a financial standpoint. Ditching the "peach" name as this annual matchup loses its sense of continuity and will make the game seem worthless.

I agree with you fully here :)

Peach sounded more like a traditional bowl name like the "Orange Bowl"or the "Rose Bowl" or "Sugar Bowl".

Actually, take a look at 1 Corinthians 6:8-10:

"(8) Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers.

(9) Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders

(10) nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Thats the only one I know off the top of my head...

No, Jesus didn't say that.

That quote came from Paul, in the same letter where he said slaves should just accept being slaves (although it's okay for them to try to escape), and that it was preferable not to get married unless you simply couldn't control your sexual passions. To his credit, Paul also told the Corinthians that they should never attempt to judge anyone who wasn't in their church and that Christians should never sue each other, even if one of them does the other wrong. In addition to stating that drunks, swindlers, slanderers, swindlers and the sexually immoral would not inherit the kingdom of God, Paul also noted that guys who had been circumcised did not have to try to reverse it.

It's not clear to me the extent to which Christian doctrine actually follows Paul's ideas. In my church, for instance, marriage has been treated as a good thing. Many Christian churches have also contended that slavery need not simply be accepted. I have also seen instances of preachers judging people who were not in their church.

In any case, I guess for me being a Christian means following the actual teachings of Christ, and fortunately he did not get into condemning gays, married people, drunks, etc. Jesus was a really beautiful guy with a very loving and beautiful message. Happy Birthday, Jesus!!!

:yahoo:

Okay, I think it's time for me to step in.

I love to allow people to have open conversations, even when these conversations can make some people uncomfortable. We are, however, getting really really away from the topic of renaming the Peach Bowl to the Chik-fil-a Bowl. Everyone has a right to their opinion (up to a point) which is why I allowed the discussion to go on. I, however, do not want this to get into a religious slamfest. Words that are attributted to a person who didn't even say those words are disingenous at best. (Thank you Andrea for clearing that up). If we are going to have an intellectual conversation then we must smart in how we do it.

We are going to leave Mr Cathy's beliefs right here. Enough has been said about it......if you want to do some personal research on him then by all means, do it. I also suggest some of you Christians actually read the Bible and know who said what before you go quoting or saying who said this and that.....for every verse you can find to convict one person for something they may or may not be doing, you can find about 3 that convicts you for something you are or are not doing.

We will ALL leave it all there and moving forward we will only discuss the renaming of the Peach Bowl.

This is the only warning

Now, back to the renaming.........

Okay, I think it's time for me to step in.

I love to allow people to have open conversations, even when these conversations can make some people uncomfortable. We are, however, getting really really away from the topic of renaming the Peach Bowl to the Chik-fil-a Bowl. Everyone has a right to their opinion (up to a point) which is why I allowed the discussion to go on. I, however, do not want this to get into a religious slamfest. Words that are attributted to a person who didn't even say those words are disingenous at best. (Thank you Andrea for clearing that up). If we are going to have an intellectual conversation then we must smart in how we do it.

We are going to leave Mr Cathy's beliefs right here. Enough has been said about it......if you want to do some personal research on him then by all means, do it. I also suggest some of you Christians actually read the Bible and know who said what before you go quoting or saying who said this and that.....for every verse you can find to convict one person for something they may or may not be doing, you can find about 3 that convicts you for something you are or are not doing.

We will ALL leave it all there and moving forward we will only discuss the renaming of the Peach Bowl.

This is the only warning

Now, back to the renaming.........

:rofl: Gotta love those Christians who try to convict others through quoting scriptures. They are such morons. It's the same as the finger-pointing, for every finger you point at someone, there's 5 pointing back at you.

^EbonyGardens, I'm pretty sure that Lady Celeste didn't want us to get back onto the religious bashing like that.

As for me and my opinions on the renaming of the Peach Bowl as the Chik-fil-a bowl, I agree with what orulz said.

And for now, I bid this topic a farewell. It's just too far gone off for me :)

Celeste, thanks for reeling this discussion back in. Sorry that I contributed to the drift.

As to dropping "Peach" from the Peach Bowl, I think that stinks. Chick-Fil-A may be a fantastic corporate citizen in the eyes of some but I don't think they're doing Atlanta a service with this.

And what's next? Does the Orange Bowl become the Tidy Bowl Bowl? Do we start watching the Wal-Mart Bowl Parade on New Year's Day?

And what happens if Chick-Fil-A bites the dust or gets bought out? I think it would be better to keep calling it the Peach Bowl and just let the sponsor add their name at the beginning.

It honestly doesnt matter what corporate sponser places their name in front of what. People are always going to call it what they are familiar with, and that really applies to everything. Sure they might try to override the "peach" and emphasize the "Chick-Fil-A" a little more in the future, but when you think about it, the "Peach Bowl" will never really lose the name, "Peach Bowl."

Archived