Chik-fil-a Bowl!?!?!?!?

ironchapman

It honestly doesnt matter what corporate sponser places their name in front of what. People are always going to call it what they are familiar with, and that really applies to everything. Sure they might try to override the "peach" and emphasize the "Chick-Fil-A" a little more in the future, but when you think about it, the "Peach Bowl" will never really lose the name, "Peach Bowl."
Yeah, but I think what they're saying is that it will not be referred to as the "Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl," but that all references to the Peach Bowl will be dropped entirely. That's way different from just sticking a corporation's name in front of the traditional bowl name. When it's done the way Chick-Fil-A is demanding, I can see how the game will easily lose any identity as the Peach Bowl before long.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks GO Gator for stepping in and making a good argument.

And just for the record, those of you who said that Paul wrote about homosexuals and not Jesus,

2 Timothy 3:16 says that "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness"

Christians believe that all of the scripture was inspired by God. Christians also believe that Jesus was God. So technically, yes, Jesus wrote that passage.

I'm done. sorry for dragging that out.

And just for the record, those of you who said that Paul wrote about homosexuals and not Jesus,

2 Timothy 3:16 says that "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness"

Christians believe that all of the scripture was inspired by God. Christians also believe that Jesus was God. So technically, yes, Jesus wrote that passage.

Okay, I know we should take this elsewhere but I can't resist two quick comments:

(1) I'm a Christian and I see a world of difference between what Jesus taught and what Paul said. Timothy is another one of Paul's letters, not what Jesus said. But hey, I'm a Southern Baptist, so I guess that may explain my thinking.

(2) Even for folks who insist that Paul's letters must be taken verbatim as the literal word of God, I am puzzled as to why they would emphasize his comments about same sex relationships, for instance, yet apparently overlook things like his condemnation of opposite sex marriage and his approval of slavery.

All right, I'm done, too, and I'm sorry for dragging it out as well. While I don't want the issue of Chick-Fil-A's renaming of the Peach Bowl to go off totally on a religious tangent, frankly I do see some relevance to this aspect of the discussion.

Thanks GO Gator for stepping in and making a good argument.

Okay, Nakedyak........I stated earlier that as Moderator, I did not want the conversation to continue on religious level. The board of full of many different people, of many different denominations and of many different walks of life. Now, I was trying to be nice....it is Hanukkah after all.....but if I said not to vontinue on this route, I mean just that. I feel that I am probably one of the most lenient moderators on the whole board. You had a warning...but in the spirit of wonder that is Hanukkah, I will alot you one more time. ONE MORE TIME.

Let's discuss only the naming of the Peach Bowl.....and nothing more. If you can't follow those simple directions then I guess the candle on the Menorah that is lite for tomorrow will be one lite in memory of whoever breaks the rule. I really hate being harsh but I shouldn't have to have someone text me with this kind of bull......

Now, back to the naming.

I'm going to try and avoid religious comment as much as possible in this response, but I would like to give some insight if I may.

I say Happy Holidays if I am unsure what religion someone is or if I know that someone is atheist. Happy Holidays is INCLUSIVE and shouldn't offend anyone. I don't celebrate Christmas so I prefer people to tell me Happy Holidays or Happy Hanukkah or Happy New Year. When someone knows that I'm Jewish and they still insist on saying Merry Christmas; it is, at best, unthoughtful and, at worst, disrespectful. That said, if I know someone is Christian I tell them Merry Christmas because I know that they celebrate Christmas. I really don't understand why people get upset when retailers, friends, etc. are trying to be inclusive. "Holidays" includes Christmas, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Boxing Day, New Year's Day, etc. and I see no problem with it.

Now, back to Chik-fil-a. Renaming the Peach Bowl the Chik-fil-a Bowl is cheesy. Even though they have been the sponsor for a few years it still sounds bad. Because of my personal feelings about the company I don't know that I would support that bowl if my Gamecocks get invited one year. I believe that this IS relevant to the renaming of the bowl game.

First of all, the comment about "agreeing" with homosexuality is absurd. You agree or disagree with points of view, not with who people are. I don't profess to know what Truett Cathy thinks, but I DO KNOW that an ex boyfriend of mine was fired by a Chik-fil-a franchise about 13 years ago when they found out he was gay. If I put that together with the fact that Truett Cathy supports known anti-gay organizations, what other conclusion can I come up with? I'm with Socaguy and I believe he has been unfairly chastised in this thread.

I suppose we can say goodbye to the Peach Bowl now, or at least the Peach Bowl while it is still called the Peach Bowl.

It will be a whole new "animal" next year. At least we're getting the #2 ACC pick, but it's not much of a consolation prize for losing the "Peach" from the bowl's title.

^EbonyGardens, I'm pretty sure that Lady Celeste didn't want us to get back onto the religious bashing like that.

As for me and my opinions on the renaming of the Peach Bowl as the Chik-fil-a bowl, I agree with what orulz said.

And for now, I bid this topic a farewell. It's just too far gone off for me :)

IC, Just wondering, what denomination are you?

I'm a United Methodist :) My mother was a Baptist and my father was a (Roman) Catholic. We compromised and became Methodists. :)

What a coincidence! My dad was Baptist and my mom was Catholic; we became Episcopalian. It's unfortunate though because half of the people in Newnan don't even know what Episcopalian is!

I suppose we can say goodbye to the Peach Bowl now, or at least the Peach Bowl while it is still called the Peach Bowl.

It will be a whole new "animal" next year. At least we're getting the #2 ACC pick, but it's not much of a consolation prize for losing the "Peach" from the bowl's title.

I think the Peach Bowl has a lot of potential to become the 5th BCS Bowl Game.

Atlanta handles the SEC Champ. and Peach Bowl very well, and Im quite sure they will handle the Sugar Bowl well too. There are plenty of things to do in the city for the team, band, parents and fans, as well as plenty of places to stay, upscale and budget. The weather wont be a factor, as it never is.

It just makes sense to me, anyone else think so?

I think the Peach Bowl has a lot of potential to become the 5th BCS Bowl Game.

I would like to think so, but I don't know if the BCS is ever going to let anyone else in. The Peach Bowl should team up with some of the other prestigious non-BCS bows and form its own confederation (like the NCAA and NIT in college basketball).

Atlanta handles the SEC Champ. and Peach Bowl very well, and Im quite sure they will handle the Sugar Bowl well too.
Something tells me they will. ;)

There are plenty of things to do in the city for the team, band, parents and fans, as well as plenty of places to stay, upscale and budget. The weather wont be a factor, as it never is.

It just makes sense to me, anyone else think so?

I certainly do.

Re: the weather:

--They say it isn't a factor yet that is one of the reasons most often cited for why we haven't been getting any Suepr Bowl bids. The ice that hit the last one was a rare occurrance, the NFL just doesn't want to believe that.

Or at leat that's my opinion.

Archived