Bass Berry and Simms

doormanpoet

There is speculation that the lot next to Schermerhorn and the Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge will be a 15-20 story office tower where BBS will relocate in 2010. The Tennessean mentioned the mayors meeting with Monroe Carrell who is the CEO of Central Parking about selling the lot or at least offer the lot as a land lease instead of selling it. Although Monroe Carrell has some parking lots that were the result of razing historic buildings, he has donated millions of dollars to the Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital, The Dominican Sisters of Nashville, and the Nashville Zoo.

Mr. Carrell does not have a good record on maintaining his garages or his surface lots, but he is a business man and if the price is right, he will sell. The Mayor, who has not always found favor with me, is making a concerted effort to revitalize downtown which will be his legacy.

Although Mr. Carrell has not always had the best intentions for our built environment, Tony did raze the Sudakem Building and Alex s. Palmer razed the Corinthian Lodge for his yet to be built West End Summit Towers.

It seems Mayor Purcell is making a valiant effort with local and regional developers to make sure historic buildings are saved at all costs until it is proven that saving them would not be cost effective and civically wise to do so. Mr. Carrell will be losing a parking garage, and a source of streaming revenue, when his garage on 7th and Commerce is razed for the new Federal Courthouse.

Bass Berry and Simms seems to have the foresight to invest in a yet to be develped parcel of land for the reloctaion of their offices. It appears Mayor Purcell wants developers to look deep within the urban core for similar building projects, especially on Church Street and in Sobro.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK... I obviously don't know much about the parking business, but it seems to me that it would be a slam-dunk for Central Parking to partner with anybody who wants to build an office building. CP would be giving up revenue from a (one level) surface lot for a multi-level parking deck that would multiply the revenue potential... right?

Of course, CP doesn't build offices, but this seems to be a great partnership arrangement. This new tower's parking structure (underground or otherwise) would also have a built-in customer base with the tenants of the building. Carrell should jump at this. Plus, the bigger the building, the better for him. Please, somebody tell me where I'm wrong.

Boy, I hope something comes of this. As I have said before, it is most important that office buildings are built as well to "balance" all this new residential construction that will be coming on stream. With all the momemtum that is building in the downtown area right now, I believe that if office buildings are built, they will come. With the mayor's backing and Bass, Berry Simms as an anchor tenant, this project has a real chance of becoming reality. Exciting times for Nashville!

I only hope that this building would not look like the Suntrust building. IMO that's the dumpiest structure I've seen proposed anywhere in the last 20 years. I don't have a problem with the height, as it is deferential to the Ryman. However, everytime I look at it, it reminds me of a grain silo (but I can't explain why).

I only hope that this building would not look like the Suntrust building. IMO that's the dumpiest structure I've seen proposed anywhere in the last 20 years. I don't have a problem with the height, as it is deferential to the Ryman. However, everytime I look at it, it reminds me of a grain silo (but I can't explain why).

ATL I have to agree with you about Suntrust. I'm not a fan and I am glad it isn't going to be very tall. I would hate to have it block one of the best views in Nashville which is of the Bell South at night driving east on West End.

After seeing the huge new renderings on the site corners, drawn to scale and view, and in perspective, I have to disagree. If there's any time this weekend, I'll take a shot or two of them. It really shows how the building will fit. This will have to be a wait and see for you guys, but I think you'll be pleased with the product. I was pretty impressed with the new renderings.

Also, the above posts make Mr. Carell seem the owner of a parking lot or two downtown and its highly unlikely the sale of or loss of revenue would make much of an impact in his bottom line. Central is the largest parking company in the world, and corporately based in Nashville with services stretching throughout North America, South America and Europe. The $200+ million dollar hospital at Vanderbilt is named the Monroe Carrell Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt. This guy is a huge contributor to this community and usually does the right things when the time is right. It's much better for us to have Mr. Carrell own lots in our downtown than someone from out of state who may not share the vision for downtown Nashville that we do. I look for him to do the right thing when the time is right. Don't forget, Tony also operates parking lots, and we love Tony.

Dear Santa,

I see that there is the possibility of another new tower in Nashville. My Christmas wish is that the style of the tower be ultra-modern, like those found in parts of Germany. Please help us to diversify our architectural collection.

Love,

Memphian

Dear Santa,

I see that there is the possibility of another new tower in Nashville. My Christmas wish is that the style of the tower be ultra-modern, like those found in parts of Germany. Please help us to diversify our architectural collection.

Love,

Memphian

Absolutely!!! Even something like the planned 17 story office tower in Atlantic Station would be fantastic. Not sure how to post a pic, but here's a link...

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...ticstation.html

Are you talking about 5th and Main?? I just found this cool building in a magazine: http://www.allianz-arena.de/de/home/index.php - This would be awesome to have in SoBro or the East Bank - LOL.

Yep, 5th and Main is the project I was talking about.

A structure like Alliance-Arena would definately be a progressive forward looking design compared to virtually everything else in the city, heck the state....maybe even the region. LOL I like it though, its a cool design.

Archived