Chesapeake Development

rusthebuss

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the people who were upset of the sprawl and not wanting to look like VB are those people who have lived here long enough to see the exploding growth in Chesapeake. Many of the residents are people who moved here from VB and came for a shader place with less noise. That has changed since I moved here to

chesapeake 9 years ago. Greenbrier area had many patches of trees that made the area more appealing. On battlefield blvd. you could see many areas that were wooded and every year we loose more of it. I like the growth but at the same time the city needs to leave some areas alone. Stop replanting little wannabe trees.

Unforetunately the area was already zoned in the early 60's and we can't say no to growth. I still don't understand why it can't be ammended. I'm not clear on all the laws here and learn more at every Planning Commision meeting I attend. When it comes to revitalization, Chesapeake doesn't have a clue and really needs to partner with Norfolk to learn how to go about it. South Norfolk residents, neighborhood services and police station have already brought new laws, codes, and rules to this area after studing what Norfolk does. It has helped a great deal to clean up this area. Too bad the citizens have to bring it to city council and be proactive.

As much as I want southern chesapeake not to place anymore commercial or retail areas to preserve some the land there, I also don't want the southern chesapeake residents driving in the northern section to do there shopping because of all the conjestion it causes. We're only going to be able to build roads so wide to create more lanes. Then what? We'll be like a miniture LA taking two hours to drive to the next neighborhood. Maybe our engineers can explain how we go about it. I certainly am willing to listen. hahhah.

I used to be able to get to the beach in 20 minutes 4 1/2 years ago when I had my son at a preschool there. Hardly any traffic during the day. You just avoided the area after 4:30pm for rush hour. Now you can't tell when rush hour in the morning stops and the afternoon starts. It's always conjested. 10 years ago I could go to Busch Gardens through the tunnel and be there in less than 35 minutes. Now you have to leave early in the morning to avoid all traffic. When is 64 going to become at least 6 lanes instead the the auto packed 4 lanes? Soon we'll need 8 lanes. After 264 was redone a few years ago, it was already outdated. When do we plan ahead? The cities want more people to move here but they can't handle the growth, traffic or services expected. :blink:

Edited by MissSouthNorfolk

• 2 weeks later...

im curious why there's no real post on the progress of Greenbrier Towne Center (TC with an E!) There's a huge development off Eden Way, i know it's not condos, mostly retail but anyone know anything about it? Besides it's behind Bed Bath and Beyond, lol.

:lol: That is not a town center its a strip mall. We did mention it a year ago, it even had its own thread, but it was more to ridicule the project than anything else. It is not urban by any stretch of the imagination and thus the lack of interest. I'll look for the thread a little later and when I find it i'll link to it here. On a side note its a shame that they couldn't have gone for a real town center in Greenbriar. Something like Blenheim park would be better suited for there than its current planned location.

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: That is not a town center its a strip mall. We did mention it a year ago, it even had its own thread, but it was more to ridicule the project than anything else. It is not urban by any stretch of the imagination and thus the lack of interest. I'll look for the thread a little later and when I find it i'll link to it here. On a side note its a shame that they couldn't have gone for a real town center in Greenbriar. Something like Blenheim park would be better suited for there than its current planned location.

Why do you want everything to go in Greenbrier? You seem to keep saying that about every project? Greenbrier is the Mall Area, not a town center. With all the hotels, stores, resturaunts surronding the mall, there is nothing else there to make it the town center. I'm curious to know why you are pushing the issue of Greenbrier to become the town center?

Why do you want everything to go in Greenbrier? You seem to keep saying that about every project? Greenbrier is the Mall Area, not a town center. With all the hotels, stores, resturaunts surronding the mall, there is nothing else there to make it the town center. I'm curious to know why you are pushing the issue of Greenbrier to become the town center?

The reason is Greenbrier is suitable for that area because its sort of like the Lynnhaven area. It has more than just the mall. There is a industrial park around the around and its a high traffic area. Alot of people in and out of that area. Thats why it would make a better place for an urban development.

Edited by rusthebuss

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's a video on WTKR that talks about the Chesapeake Town Center. They now want to add 220 condos or luxury apartments on top of the retail/office space. I didn't see any renderings in the video, but they said it could be higher than the tallest building in Greebrier, which is 5 stories. So maybe it will have a decent midrise in it.

• 1 month later...

Here's a video on WTKR that talks about the Chesapeake Town Center. They now want to add 220 condos or luxury apartments on top of the retail/office space. I didn't see any renderings in the video, but they said it could be higher than the tallest building in Greebrier, which is 5 stories. So maybe it will have a decent midrise in it.

My new job (leaving MacArthur Center) is next to the TC, Paradocks Bar and Grille, opening sometime soon, plus their location in Chesapeake Square, i'll be working both of em if anyone's ever out that way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...