Chesapeake Development

rusthebuss

Biodiesel plant proponent did prison time on drug charge

Clifford M. Cowles, one of two principals for Smiling Earth Energy LLC, the company proposing the biodiesel project, was part of an Ecstasy distribution operation that spanned at least three states, according to court documents obtained Thursday.

The Chesapeake Planning Commission voted 7-0 earlier this month to support Bakersfield, Calif.-based Smiling Earth Energy's plan, which still needs a City Council vote to move forward.

The criminal charge is the latest piece of Cowles' background that worries city officials concerned about the future of the biodiesel project.

"He doesn't sound like the kind of businessman we need in Chesapeake," said Planning Commissioner Betty P. Weaver, who cast a vote to support the project before learning the information.

Does "Smiling Earth" translate into Korean as "Sun Rise"?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Towne Place at Greenbrier is preparing to move forward with Phase III, 32K of retail with 110 condos above. Does anyone have any rendering or info on the condo development? The only site i've been able to find is kahndevelopment.com, i didnt know if the Ches City page might have anything.

Towne Place at Greenbrier is preparing to move forward with Phase III, 32K of retail with 110 condos above. Does anyone have any rendering or info on the condo development? The only site i've been able to find is kahndevelopment.com, i didnt know if the Ches City page might have anything.

Who would want to live in parking lot hell?

Chesapeake's City Council votes this week to put an outhouse, oops sorry, "ethanol plant", on its back fence line, right next to their neighbor's house. From what I have heard, all 75 of the planning commission's requirements will be swept aside due to intense lobbying by the developer's paid lobbyist, former mayor Ward.

Look for open warfare between Chesapeake and Portsmouth. The Portsmouth Council is on record, twice, voting against this. For starters, they will probably immediately approve a 24 hr a day ban on all three axle trucks on Victory Blvd -- the only road access to the plant -- in Portsmouth. Only water lines to the place run through Portsmouth as well.

Interesting article from Portfolio Weekly:

Against The Grain

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

City Manager William Harrell today rejected a private proposal to widen Dominion Boulevard, replace the Steel Bridge and charge tolls of as much as $2.50 per trip.

Harrell said that the private group’s roadway design posed potential safety cocerns for drivers and bicyclists. He said the plan overestimated future traffic on Dominion and underestimated the number of drivers who would dodge the toll there. And city officials also expressed concerns about the affordability of the proposed toll.

While Harrell said he would welcome another proposal from the group, he said the city intends to move forward on its own plan to widen Dominion and replace the Steel Bridge. Officials revealed Thursday that the city had applied last month for a $150 million low-interest federal highway construction loan for the Dominion project. Chesapeake has also request about $20 million in federal stimulus money.

:(

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/10/chesapeake...levard-proposal

Edited by ronsmytheiii

I hardly ever venture into SoNo and the surrounding industrial areas, but I'm sure there is a ton of potential re-investment that can turn that whole area into a thriving urban environment. Makes me want to map out an ideal vision for the area!

Anyways, ever since Ford closed up, does anyone know what is going on with the property at Ford Park? That is a ton of potentially amazing land to develop on and I was wondering who owns it and what the city plans on doing with this whole area. Also, there is tons of rail going through this area which will make for perfect TOD someday, hopefully. Makes me excited just thinking about it. I need to venture out to these areas with a camera sometime.

In the Greenbrier area, they've cleared an area that's been forested my entire life on Kempsville Road right next to the railroad tracks (between Green Tree Road and Walton Road). I'm assuming it's going to be some small, unnecessary, suburban development, or maybe some decent medium-density apartments. It makes me sick thinking about spawning any new development like this anymore.

Anyways, ever since Ford closed up, does anyone know what is going on with the property at Ford Park? That is a ton of potentially amazing land to develop on and I was wondering who owns it and what the city plans on doing with this whole area. Also, there is tons of rail going through this area which will make for perfect TOD someday, hopefully. Makes me excited just thinking about it. I need to venture out to these areas with a camera sometime.

I believe HRT is going to use some of the plant temporarily while they rebuild their headquarters and garage near downtown.

I hardly ever venture into SoNo and the surrounding industrial areas, but I'm sure there is a ton of potential re-investment that can turn that whole area into a thriving urban environment. Makes me want to map out an ideal vision for the area!

In the Greenbrier area, they've cleared an area that's been forested my entire life on Kempsville Road right next to the railroad tracks (between Green Tree Road and Walton Road). I'm assuming it's going to be some small, unnecessary, suburban development, or maybe some decent medium-density apartments. It makes me sick thinking about spawning any new development like this anymore.

Hey man, me and B.REED went over there to look at this graffiti spot we call gnarnia...we walked the tracts next to the plant and it looked epically folded up...like an old New England factory town. It was all overcast and crazy stark. Those tracks lead to the Lamberts' Point coal terminus and is still used everyday...at least that's still working! peace man, ill holla next time im in town.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what the purpose is going to be for that giant plot of land in Greenbrier, where the jail used to be, in front of all the city's public works buildings/storage facilities? That's some good real estate for sure. Maybe a new high school, even though Grassfield is still new. I'm not sure on the condition of the city's schools, but when I graduated four years ago, Indian River was overcrowded for sure.

I believe the plan is to build a Greenbrier High School in the short term. It got pushed back because of the recession, I presume.

The rumors I heard were true then. Sounds like an okay deal, it sure is a good chunk of land to use just for a school, but I guess it's going to be pretty necessary with all the residential development continually going up in Chesapeake. Thanks varider! :)

• 2 weeks later...