Chesapeake Development

rusthebuss

Well, the rendering shows that it is  sandwiches Bainbridge Blvd. on the bottom and the Elizabeth River.  That narrows it down a bit.

...found it on maps....

if you follow Bainbridge and the south branch of the Elizabeth River past the highrise bridge you'll see that little spit of land stick out into the river just before the road intersects with Rt17.  Turn the map so Bainbridge runs left and right and you'll match it up.

Edited by metalman

Well, the rendering shows that it is  sandwiches Bainbridge Blvd. on the bottom and the Elizabeth River.  That narrows it down a bit.

...found it on maps....

if you follow Bainbridge and the south branch of the Elizabeth River past the highrise bridge you'll see that little spit of land stick out into the river just before the road intersects with Rt17.  Turn the map so Bainbridge runs left and right and you'll match it up.

Isn't that the same place they tried to put a development years ago but scuttled it because it was near a plant/on toxic soil? Think it was supposed to be two 12-story buildings back then.

I'm not a fan of this one. The site is surrounded by industrial. A company that is bidding on the SPSA contract is setting up shop at the old Nova plant next to the high rise. Bainbridge does not have direct access to Dominion anymore and the closest residential is some seriously rundown townhomes. I can't see how any retail or restaurants could survive there even with nearly 600 units. Is there any other info beyond the site plan?

I'm not a fan of this one. The site is surrounded by industrial. A company that is bidding on the SPSA contract is setting up shop at the old Nova plant next to the high rise. Bainbridge does not have direct access to Dominion anymore and the closest residential is some seriously rundown townhomes. I can't see how any retail or restaurants could survive there even with nearly 600 units. Is there any other info beyond the site plan?

Yeah, I think this is the same project rehashed in different form. Didn't work then, won't work now. They need to find a better location. I could see something like this going in around Harbor Park (provided it's urban), but not there.

Edited by vdogg

Sounds like the Sears at Greenbrier Mall is getting close to being redeveloped. Fresh Market should be going through the planning commission early next year. Hopefully they'll be more details coming out in regards to the extent of the project and which other retailers may be coming. 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It looks like the proposed sportsplex for Western Branch has a lot of interest from potential developers.  JLL or Eastern Sports Management would seem to be the most suited to do the project.  This project will be a good boost for WB as a number of large retailers have left the market recently (Sears, JC Penney, Michael's).

http://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/western-branch-sports-complex-could-be-coming-to-the-mall/article_6ffd8abd-714e-52cb-a1f1-74778324df8f.html

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2006 at 9:39 PM, urbanvb said:

Chesapeake council will decide fate of narrow homes

metro0221rmlots.jpg

Developers are buying the old homes in South Norfolk, Indian River and

some sections of Deep Creek, made out of several adjoining lots, tearing

them down and replacing one house with two, three or four tall, narrow houses.

article

anyone else think these houses are hideous ? :sick:

That reminds me of something one would see in Queens or the Bronx.

• 4 months later...

Interesting development on the Elbow Farm/Thrasher property between Kempsville & Centerville. A lot of proposed single family around it but in the middle they are proposing around 1000 multi family units with around 300,000 square feet of commercial space - dense, mixed use with residential above the commercial spaces. They want to turn the big hill back there into a big park (like 40 acres) with a community center & small amphitheater & piers on the existing lakes. It's still super early in the planning stages - there was a community outreach meeting tonight and they have a long way to go to get community support (heard there was a lot of NIMBYs there) & get approval from the city. 

I imagine crowding at the schools would be the biggest concern. Honestly, that stretch of Chesapeake is two lanes along Elbow, as well as Centerville Turnpike. I drive in that area from time to time, and when the bridge opens, it's a mess. I can't imagine that kind of development being approved unless they reduce the number of units by a lot.

As someone with kids in the impacted schools I can tell you the only school that is overcrowded is Greenbrier Primary and that's due to full day kindergarten. The roads are definitely going to be a hurdle but Chesapeake is looking at widening Centerville & replacing the bridge in about 15 years. I'd expect this project to take awhile to be built out so that might work work out. I'm guessing there will be access to Kempsville Road as well since one of the entrances to the landfill is already through there.  

• 1 month later...

If that area had such "great demographics," they woulda never built that glorified warehouse of a "mall"...but once built, it would never have suffered such a steady and long decline. Crap started out as crap and ended up as defunct crap.

BTW, Greenbrier Mall looks TERRIBLE. Inside & out. I was there 23/24 Dec. & it was DEAD while I had just left MacArthur which was packed! Now THERE'S the REAL REDEVELOPMENT OPP!! THERE are the GREAT DEMOS! Chesapeake deserves so much better.

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Chesapeake is conducting a feasibility study for a "multi-purpose stadium" that could potentially host D2/3 college events, as well as high school athletic events (mainly playoffs or state championships).

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_a1921f2c-022f-11e9-a352-33a709331ccf.html

It's times like this where I hate the fact that our cities are so deeply divided, because it makes zero sense to build this in Chesapeake. I do think this area needs a larger stadium, but I think Foreman Field would be perfect for everything that article describes. Unfortunately, Foreman Field is in Norfolk.

Renovating and expanding the Sportsplex to 20-25K makes more sense, but unfortunately, that's in Chesapeake Virginia Beach. Besides, each high school in Chesapeake already has a stadium, either on campus or at the nearby middle school (Deep Creek and Great Bridge). Both of those schools need to upgrade their stadiums, but this isn't the solution.

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1

I feel like the intent of this project is mainly to replace the Deep Creek & Great Bridge facilities, which are already offsite and in need of replacement. All of the other uses are really just extra and will be used to build a case to get it funded. I don’t believe it’s an attempt to compete with the surrounding cities but rather an attempt to pool funds for what would be two normal HS stadiums for something that will be more beneficial to the school system and the city as a whole. I’d peg it to be located along Dominion Boulevard (between the two high schools & eventually Interstate 87 with plenty of available land). 

• Like 1

Meh. This is a waste of money chesapeke doesn't need a 25 million dollar athletic facility. They should just do minimal improvements at both schools athletic facilitys and put the funds torwards fixing their school overcrowding problem by building a new school. 

• Like 1

The overcrowded schools issue can be solved by a city-wide redistricting. There are just as many underutilized schools in Chesapeake as there are overcrowded. 

‘Minimal improvements’ are expected to cost $6.5 million (Pilot) for both existing stadiums while one new onsite stadium is estimated at $9.2 million (Pilot). 

• 3 weeks later...