Chesapeake Development

rusthebuss

30 minutes ago, zeppelin14 said:

Greenbriar Mall update and it's not a good one. They are in foreclosure on a $62M loan. Sounds like they don't want to remain open either: 

https://www.wavy.com/news/business/greenbrier-mall-in-foreclosure-after-defaulting-on-62m-loan/

Perfect timing to expand the Summit Pointe concept across the street.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

Greenbriar Mall update and it's not a good one. They are in foreclosure on a $62M loan. Sounds like they don't want to remain open either: 

https://www.wavy.com/news/business/greenbrier-mall-in-foreclosure-after-defaulting-on-62m-loan/

Seritage (owner of the vacant Sears) has also listed their property there as non-core and they are planning to sell all of their non-core properties. Unfortunately this will all take years to shake out and there will be a floundering mall at the gateway to Greenbrier until something happens. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, HRVA said:

Seritage (owner of the vacant Sears) has also listed their property there as non-core and they are planning to sell all of their non-core properties. Unfortunately this will all take years to shake out and there will be a floundering mall at the gateway to Greenbrier until something happens. 

Some developer needs to secure Wegmans and Cabela's and build a mixed-use project there. 

• Like 3

Nick Egelanian from the article in the pilot tells me none of that is possible. He said it was too hard to explain in an email but that it was not going to happen. Please tell me this thing won’t become apartments only. The Mayor wants an ice hockey rink?!? I don’t know what he’s talking about. Recreational or pro?

3 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Nick Egelanian from the article in the pilot tells me none of that is possible. He said it was too hard to explain in an email but that it was not going to happen. Please tell me this thing won’t become apartments only. The Mayor wants an ice hockey rink?!? I don’t know what he’s talking about. Recreational or pro?

What exactly isn’t possible? Where did you see the mayor wanting a hockey rink? Chilled Ponds is behind the Regal with two rinks… I’m aware of the larger Greenbrier redevelopment study that was mentioned in the Pilot article but I feel like they’ve been talking about that study since before the pandemic. By the time they finish it’ll be time for another study. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HRVA said:

What exactly isn’t possible? Where did you see the mayor wanting a hockey rink? Chilled Ponds is behind the Regal with two rinks… I’m aware of the larger Greenbrier redevelopment study that was mentioned in the Pilot article but I feel like they’ve been talking about that study since before the pandemic. By the time they finish it’ll be time for another study. 

If you read back a couple posts, I proposed a Wegmans and a Cabela’s as anchors for a new ground-up, mixed-use development, and he told me neither one was possible. He would not elaborate. He said the time and space (email) would not allow for it. I asked him twice. I then asked about Publix. He said Publix is possible on a small pad, but unlikely. That is all he would give me. I’m sorry, But it’s as simple and as mysterious as I’ve explained it here. 

Mayor West:

https://www.13newsnow.com/amp/article/money/business/greenbrier-mall-foreclosure-chesapeake/291-7926d409-9675-4abe-8ab4-a6cfdd3a9a2f

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, baobabs727 said:

If you read back a couple posts, I proposed a Wegmans and a Cabela’s as anchors for a new ground-up, mixed-use development, and he told me neither one was possible. He would not elaborate. He said the time and space (email) would not allow for it. I asked him twice. I then asked about Publix. He said Publix is possible on a small pad, but unlikely. That is all he would give me. I’m sorry, But it’s as simple and as mysterious as I’ve explained it here. 

Mayor West:

https://www.13newsnow.com/amp/article/money/business/greenbrier-mall-foreclosure-chesapeake/291-7926d409-9675-4abe-8ab4-a6cfdd3a9a2f

Got it, thanks for clarifying. Hopefully something happens quick because last time I was in there (January? Definitely after Christmas) some long-time tenants were in the process of closing. 

I hadn’t seen the WVEC article so that’s interesting. The owner of Chilled Ponds also owns the Admirals - maybe there’s something there but that’s me speculating. Hope there’s follow up reporting on all of this. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HRVA said:

Got it, thanks for clarifying. Hopefully something happens quick because last time I was in there (January? Definitely after Christmas) some long-time tenants were in the process of closing. 

I hadn’t seen the WVEC article so that’s interesting. The owner of Chilled Ponds also owns the Admirals - maybe there’s something there but that’s me speculating. Hope there’s follow up reporting on all of this. 

Cool. And as to the reporting, good Lord…pigs will fly first lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chesapeake should be talking to Norfolk about building a second light rail line from Norfolk to Chesapeake and have it go through the mall site and over to the Summit. I could see Chesapeake turning the whole Greenbrier area into a collection of urban villages, and even better if they can be connected to a light rail line or few.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2022 at 12:56 AM, urbanlife said:

Chesapeake should be talking to Norfolk about building a second light rail line from Norfolk to Chesapeake and have it go through the mall site and over to the Summit. I could see Chesapeake turning the whole Greenbrier area into a collection of urban villages, and even better if they can be connected to a light rail line or few.

If it takes 7 years to kick start 2.2 miles of track to a place in the same city (Military Circle) then........My God, we will be colonising space before they will start putting track to greenbrier. But its definitely more possible than trying to break the Isolation in VB.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/9/2022 at 8:46 AM, mintscraft56 said:

If it takes 7 years to kick start 2.2 miles of track to a place in the same city (Military Circle) then........My God, we will be colonising space before they will start putting track to greenbrier. But its definitely more possible than trying to break the Isolation in VB.

Yeah, it has been really pathetic how slow it's been for light rail to take off in Hampton Roads after the first line was built. Typically there is enough momentum to at least get a couple new lines built in that same amount of time.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Renderings of the proposed municipal building in South Norfolk. This will be between the Gateway & ForKids HQ and will include a 300-car parking garage. Will give this block of Poindexter some good density and provide a ton of city services to the area. 

24755161-D1C2-4DDD-9281-35109ADE48EE.thumb.jpeg.6b0bb618cda64aa69e4db78dbdb168ff.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, BFG said:

Today was the State of the City address. Anyone know if there were any major announcements?

Story: https://www.13newsnow.com/video/news/local/mycity/chesapeake/chesapeake-mayor-delivers-state-of-the-city-address-6p/291-4af6fdc7-65a3-4313-84af-3ec6aa88b4b2

Full speech: https://www.wtkr.com/news/chesapeake-state-of-the-city-address-initiatives-challenges-opportunities-glimpse-of-citys-future?_amp=true

Haven’t watched the full speech yet but the story goes over some of businesses coming to Summit Pointe & development in South Norfolk. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, varider said:

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/chesapeake/new-885-unit-scenic-heights-project-gets-5-4-approval-from-chesapeake-council/

“A 132-acre project that would bring offices and 885 residential units to the Grassfield area was narrowly green lighted on Tuesday night by Chesapeake City Council.”

Nice to see some 2 over 2 units being developed. They seem to be popular in Richmond but I haven’t seen it around our area yet. 

There was another project that’s been discussed here that was on the agenda but got pushed back to Planning. The Commons, which has been approved, is requesting to remove a lot of the first floor commercial spaces in favor of parking. Not terribly surprising considering it’s location across from the Grassfield Walmart but disappointing as the change makes it less mixed-use. 

• Like 3

There is also Shilleleigh Commons project proposed down the street. Grassfield is finally starting to take shape.
It’s a shame that the Commons is losing its mixed use component, but there’s still so much available retail in that vicinity, that I can understand why. Hopefully these hundreds and hundreds of new units will bring about the demand to fill some of the vacancies.

Edited by varider
  • Like 2