Chesapeake Development

rusthebuss

Worlds largest biodiesel plant coming to South Norfolk

fuel550x327.jpg

A company wants to build the world's largest biodiesel refinery in South Norfolk, across the river from another alternative fuel project. The $532 million complex, named Virginia Point Biodiesel, would take oil from plants and convert it into 320 million gallons of biodiesel annually. Biodiesel is a clean-burning fuel made from vegetable oils or animal fats that can either be blended with petroleum-based diesel or used directly by most diesel engines.

The plant would be built on a vacant 44-acre tract at the end of Rosemont Avenue in an industrial area populated by chemical tanks and older homes, some with boarded-up windows.

I was leary at first, but after having read the article this sounds like it may be a good thing.

I haven't seen too many breasts that glow in the dark though. :shades:

With the right surgeon, anything is possible. Maybe some luminescent silicone would do the trick. :lol::offtopic:

I'm a little apprehensive and even skeptical about the whole biofuel fiesta going on.

Edited by cpeakesqr

With the right surgeon, anything is possible. Maybe some luminescent silicone would do the trick. :lol::offtopic:

I'm a little apprehensive and even skeptical about the whole biofuel fiesta going on.

I am not, the Northwest is far ahead of the rest of the country on this and it has been a great asset to the way we live. Currently all our buses run off biodiesel. This is going to be a major shift in the way city owned vehicles are powered mostly and it is going to be a great economic asset for South Norfolk to have a plant like this....provided the factory helps improve its local area through reinvestments and encouraging workers to live closer to the plant.

... it shows that Hampton Roads is continuing to surge onwards in technology...

Somehow, no matter how trendy or new, I don't think of the petro-chemical industry like this as "technology". Guess when I think of technology, I think of Austin, and not Baytown or Texas City. If you want to know the difference, think of The Real World: Austin versus Urban Cowboy. Which would you rather have?

It's hard to argue with a supposed $200,000/month in real estate tax income...

In a vacuum, you're right. But this plant will dump tons of nitric oxide, not to mention other pollutants (link), on homes less than 700 yards away, homes that will receive no economic benefit. The city that gets the $2.5M/yr. doesn't have to endure an added 100 truck trips a day. They dump that too on their neighbor.

Chesapeake hypocrisy at its highest. No city squawked louder than Chesapeake over the "let's be NY's trash can" debate. Now they have the chance to benefit from something that is completely cut off from impacting their city -- Navy property on one side, Elizabeth river on another, Portsmouth on the other. No worries, mate.

I'm thinking a nuclear power plant looks pretty good on the old Covanta site -- I'm sure Chesapeake won't mind that across the river from their new waterfront RE deal, huh? Surrounded by Navy and the river, no Portsmouth homes nearby, probably more than $2.5M/yr.

• 3 weeks later...

In a vacuum, you're right. But this plant will dump tons of nitric oxide, not to mention other pollutants (link), on homes less than 700 yards away, homes that will receive no economic benefit. The city that gets the $2.5M/yr. doesn't have to endure an added 100 truck trips a day. They dump that too on their neighbor.

Chesapeake hypocrisy at its highest. No city squawked louder than Chesapeake over the "let's be NY's trash can" debate. Now they have the chance to benefit from something that is completely cut off from impacting their city -- Navy property on one side, Elizabeth river on another, Portsmouth on the other. No worries, mate.

I'm thinking a nuclear power plant looks pretty good on the old Covanta site -- I'm sure Chesapeake won't mind that across the river from their new waterfront RE deal, huh? Surrounded by Navy and the river, no Portsmouth homes nearby, probably more than $2.5M/yr.

Kinda reminds people of the Love Canal scandal in the 1970s, a true story. A lot of people who lived in the area of Love Canal had higher risk of disease and cancer when a giant company dumped the similar stuff in there. GM, I think. Who is going to benefit when the other has risks added to the cost. Portsmouth is probably correct when they asked Chesapeake to vote against the development.

Have you ever played SimCity games before? Accepting a NIMBY in exchange for cash payoff is acceptable in rural communities but not urban communities, as I have learned. Chesapeake is becoming increasingly urban and you are going to put a NIMBY in there? I don't think so.

Kinda reminds people of the Love Canal scandal in the 1970s, a true story. A lot of people who lived in the area of Love Canal had higher risk of disease and cancer when a giant company dumped the similar stuff in there. GM, I think.
Actually was Hooker Chemical.

What is really offensive about this is that Chesapeake will get the tax revenue, then dump it all on the folks in Craddock -- who don't even get paid for the NIMBY. It isn't really Chesapeake that gets the NIMBY, they just get the money.

How about we condemn Greenbriar CC and build it right off Volvo Parkway?

• 1 month later...

Here's link with the solution

jennifer love hewitt nude

Look you retarded jackass, stop posting random BULL!!! up here, no one cares about Jennifer and you childish fantasy world.. make me sick, every time i go to a topic I see your name writing and putting bogus, 2 year old comments, go watch Disney or something. This website is not the place for that.

Thank you, have a wonderful day

Look you retarded jackass, stop posting random BULL!!! up here, no one cares about Jennifer and you childish fantasy world.. make me sick, every time i go to a topic I see your name writing and putting bogus, 2 year old comments, go watch Disney or something. This website is not the place for that.

Thank you, have a wonderful day

Nakamater is no more.

"Just envision any other strip mall! :rofl: "

Ahh, I'm getting a vision. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Portsmouth, Chesapeake officials release notes on ethanol trip

This VP story links to PDF files from both the Chesapeake and Portsmouth delegations -- amazing to read the two versions of the same trip. Were they on the same planet? And why wasn't the Chesapeake version signed?

My wife knows Jack Tynch pretty well -- if he has these concerns, then they are vaild concerns. He isn't a P'Town homer, and perfectly capable of discerning what is best for HR as a whole.

• 3 weeks later...