Chesapeake Development

rusthebuss

• 3 months later...

Nearly three years ago, the City Council voted in support of Belharbour Station at SoNo, a $200 million development that promised to turn an industrial slice of South Norfolk into a bustling retail and condominium hub. Now, the debate is back – in the middle of election season and one of Chesapeake’s toughest budget years in memory.

The two council members who voted against it, Alan Krasnoff and John de Triquet, are now the mayor and vice mayor. More Belharbour skeptics joined the council in 2008. Since then, the economy has slowed the developer’s plan to build an office tower and dozens of new residences.

“The city underwrote that speculative adventure,” said de Triquet, who is running for re-election this year . “We committed tax dollars to that. I opposed it because I felt it wasn’t workable. I want to see how much I was proven correct, that it’s not a doable project.”

But as the economy has struggled, developer Paylor Spruill opted to come to the council to revise an agreement with the city. Spruill said he wants to reorder the pieces of the project – building apartments, retail and a marina before constructing the condominiums and office tower. Because of the reordering, city officials are already considering delaying the use of South Norfolk tax revenue to build a public parking garage on the site.

http://hamptonroads....-election-issue

Edited by ronsmytheiii

And this is the reason why I will probably never take Chesapeake to be a real city. The people there seem to elect people with no vision for the city's future and seems to just believe in the status quo with suburban development to the south while ignoring its historical counterparts in the South Norfolk area. If Chesapeake acted like a real city, the South Norfolk area would be seen as the city's traditional downtown.

• Like 1

And this is the reason why I will probably never take Chesapeake to be a real city. The people there seem to elect people with no vision for the city's future and seems to just believe in the status quo with suburban development to the south while ignoring its historical counterparts in the South Norfolk area. If Chesapeake acted like a real city, the South Norfolk area would be seen as the city's traditional downtown.

Well they did get the Gateway at SoNo built, and the economy is definitely not helping. I actually think the internet has spoiled us with development news, these things take many years and face many set backs until built (except during the bubble, but i dont think we want that kind of speculative atmosphere back again)

Chesapeake sucks and I'm never looking for it to ever become one bit of urban. That crap they throughh up in Greenbrier is horrible. Gateway at SoNo? An ugly three floor mixed-use buiding.. what's so special about that? I agree that SoNo should be the traditional downtown, but I can't see it happening and I kind of only care about downtown Norfolk/Portsmouth and Virginia Beach .

I like Chesapeake. All metros need suburbs, and that is exactly what Chesapeake is. They cannot make Chesapeake something that it's not. The only reason Chesapeake has all of it's citizens is because they wanted to live out there. People will always want to live in suburbia and planners can't change nor force how those people think. Density is something that's just not for a city like Chesapeake; density would take way the appeal of living in a city like Chesapeake. It is solely because Chesapeake is so suburban, nice, and new that I like it. I used to get so excited for Home-a-rama when I was back home because I got to see the huge houses in an extremely low-density environment. I'm not gonna keep rambling on restating my point, but planners in Chesapeake should focus more on agricultural and wildlife preservation and suburban redevelopment of run-down areas and less on forcing an urban environment on a suburb.

I like Chesapeake. All metros need suburbs, and that is exactly what Chesapeake is. They cannot make Chesapeake something that it's not. The only reason Chesapeake has all of it's citizens is because they wanted to live out there. People will always want to live in suburbia and planners can't change nor force how those people think. Density is something that's just not for a city like Chesapeake; density would take way the appeal of living in a city like Chesapeake. It is solely because Chesapeake is so suburban, nice, and new that I like it. I used to get so excited for Home-a-rama when I was back home because I got to see the huge houses in an extremely low-density environment. I'm not gonna keep rambling on restating my point, but planners in Chesapeake should focus more on agricultural and wildlife preservation and suburban redevelopment of run-down areas and less on forcing an urban environment on a suburb.

suburbs and environmental protection are oxymorons. suburban design is inefficient and encourages the wasteing of land leading to the clearing of more green space. It is a travesty and should not have a future, regardless of "what people want"

but planners can push for smart suburban development that treats subdevelopments like small towns, while mixing in mega suburbia needs.

Keep Chesapeake, Suffolk, and Southen VB Rural/Suburban. Work on the continual urbanization of Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Northern VB.

I agree completely 100% with that statement. No farms no food - agriculture is the backbone of the American economy and I love the fact that Virginia Beach is virtually self-sufficient on strawberries and soy and is a major producer of corn and other crops as well. I love open spaces, but we can't just completely urbanize America. My dad always jokes with me by saying we should just pave over the entire United States. It's a joke, but in some ways that's what I think some new urbanists want. New Urbanist developments that exist in former suburbs just add to the existing sprawl, leading to more automobile dependence and in some cases even newer suburbs. This takes away even more pristine and agricultural lands and is somewhat counter-intuitive. If planners can limit suburban growth and have designated areas for urban, suburban, rural, and pristine areas, then I believe we will not only make everyone happy, but reach a perfect equilibrium of each area. If suburbs are redeveloped to be newer and nicer, then people will stay put rather than sprawl farther onto "virgin" land.

• 4 weeks later...

The political ambitions of a very few are hurting South Norfolk and the City of Chesapeake; sadly we elected them: John de Triquet, Alan Krasnoff and Debbie Ritter. We all know that elected politicians will often reward close allies, and hence themselves; in an effort to stay elected, but the disingenuous mask these three wear is alarming.

(The South Norfolk Civic League has a good reference article on www.southnorfolkcivicleague.com entitled “Its that time again, Election Time and the politicians are hard at it” and the South Norfolk Strategic Development Plan, also helpful background, can be found at www.chesva.com/sono.html).

De Triquet was in favor of the South Norfolk Strategic Development Plan (SoNo plan) and voted in March 2005 to establish the South Norfolk Tax Increment Financing District- the SoNo TIF. He and Krasnoff then went on to vote in 2006 for the Gateway and Belharbour projects as vital parts of that SoNo plan. But around this same time three high profile projects on the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River were proposed: Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan for a 130’ ammonia storage tower; BioEnergy International for a large ethanol plant, Covanta for the famous “trashport”. All were defeated and voting no were de Triquet, Krasnoff and Ritter (before she was voted off the Council that year). Industry along the river then became alarmed that Chesapeake no longer supported their interests and later it became known that Mayor Edge would not seek reelection in 2008. Suddenly de Triquet and Krasnoff became the friends of corporate industry voting in March 2007 against the Belharbour project, expressing concern about its proposed marina, citing the proximity of pleasure boats with naval or working vessels; even though the proposed marina is on the intracoastal waterway where pleasure craft are routine; and marina approval was included in the original rezoning. It is clear in hind-sight today that as a Republican, Krasnoff wanted corporate sponsors and their money in his bid to win the office of Mayor; and far more than he wanted to keep promises to South Norfolk. So goes Krasnoff, so goes de Triquet and Ritter. They are trying to build a Republican political machine that rewards the areas of Chesapeake that will help keep them in office and expand their influence. The ends justify the means and they mean to disregard years of promises and commitments the City has made to South Norfolk because it tends to favor Democratic candidates. De Triquet recently said in a South Norfolk campaign forum that he has collected and analyzed the necessary data to determine that South Norfolk can do better than the SoNo plan; even though professional land planners, consultants and dozens of South Norfolk citizens spent thousands of hours studying South Norfolk’s situation and finally recommending that plan of redevelopment. It is incredible that de Triquet expects us to believe that only he has drawn the proper conclusions. It is far more credible to believe that de Triquet, Krasnoff and Ritter want to remove the reasons for South Norfolk’s financing district thus keeping a largely Democratic borough from reaching its full potential.

• 1 month later...

About a month or so ago, they demolished the Hollywood Video at Greenbrier MarketPlace, where Target, Best Buy, and Barnes and Noble are. About a week ago, I noticed the shape of the structure, and it looked like it would be a Walgreens.

Turns out my prediction was right... Now, I like this a lot. They opened a CVS about 2 miles from there, at the corner of Volvo and Kempsville. However, it closes at 10, which for a night owl like me who works second shift, that's a bummer. And other than the Walgreens on Battlefield and Volvo (about 2 mi. in the opposite direction), Greenbrier lacks a good 24-hour drug store, so it would be nice to see if they'll actually make this an all-night store.

My only concern is Greenbrier Parkway is a traffic nightmare. I can't imagine what this would do...

• 1 year later...

South Norfolk should break away from Chesapeake so it can stop being screwed over by the county it joined into...I think the town would of been better off with their chances with Norfolk instead.

I have always maintained that South Norfolk should actually be in Norfolk! Chesapeake has screwed it over ever since the merger.

• 8 months later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/10/dollar-tree-seeks-ok-chesapeake-town-center

Dollar Tree wants to build a "Town Center" next to its headquarters in Greenbrier. I like the idea, but hate the location. Greenbrier is already a traffic nightmare, esp. that stretch of Volvo Parkway. I'd like to see them expand the lanes first. Other than that, I think it could work. I know Chesapeake wanted to do a Town Center concept over there a few years ago, but from what I see, it's pretty low-key.

http://insidebiz.com/news/dollar-tree-proposes-mega-city-center-its-property

According to the rezoning application, which Dollar Tree submitted to the city planning department on Sept. 10, the Greenbrier City Center project would include 604 apartments and 809 condominiums; 444,744 square feet of retail space; 1.1 million square feet of office space; 10,670 square feet of civic space; and 171 hotel rooms, which would all be supported by a 1.9 million-square-foot parking deck and three parking lots.

The project, Shaffer said, is a market-driven, phased development that would take up to 35 years to complete once approved.

Phase 1, she said, calls for a pedestrian-friendly, vertical, mixed-use building to be constructed within five years on the 25-acre wooded corner of the property along Volvo Parkway and Executive Boulevard. The building will have 269 apartments, 1.1 million square feet of office space, 444,744 square feet of retail space and a 1.9 million-square-foot parking deck.

According to the rezoning application, the plan calls for construction to begin in 2014.

"From what I understand, they [Dollar Tree] are setting up the framework for development and working with developers for each phase," Shaffer said.

DT should just move their HQ to DT NORFOLK.

• 9 months later...

Chesapeake getting a town center-like development?

The city council on Tuesday night delayed a vote on a proposal by Dollar Tree to build a development near its Greenbrier headquarters.

The vote was delayed until Sept. 17, so the council could further examine the issue.

The development would be similar to Virginia Beach's Town Center. It would have up to 1,413 residential units, 1 million square feet of office space, 500,000 square feet of retail space and 250,000 square feet of civic and hotel space.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/08/chesapeake-city-council-delays-vote-town-center

Chesapeake getting a town center-like development?

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/08/chesapeake-city-council-delays-vote-town-center

I hate this.  Again, the cities are just building themselves further and further apart.  Is there no land in DT Norfolk or VB Town Center for Dollar Tree to build?

So now we'll have Town Center, Downtown Norfolk, and Chesapeake all trying to build an urban area, all small and barely significant.  Great... :(

I hate this.  Again, the cities are just building themselves further and further apart.  Is there no land in DT Norfolk or VB Town Center for Dollar Tree to build?

So now we'll have Town Center, Downtown Norfolk, and Chesapeake all trying to build an urban area, all small and barely significant.  Great... :(

Kinda reminds me of L.A. actually. Small little pocket downtowns spread across a large area. It may not be all that bad if we can get light rail traveling between each. I would like to see one grand downtown too but I just don't think that's in the cards for us. 

Kinda reminds me of L.A. actually. Small little pocket downtowns spread across a large area. It may not be all that bad if we can get light rail traveling between each. I would like to see one grand downtown too but I just don't think that's in the cards for us. 

I like the L.A. analogy...makes a lot of sense. Light rail to Chesapeake would be a great option, esp. if they want to build a "downtown" there. But yes, the 2-lane roads in front of Dollar Tree are a nightmare to navigate during the evening.

As for the grand downtown, I think Norfolk's the closest we'll have. Developing SPQ will help a lot...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

i wouldn't expect much to happen anytime soon on the Dollar Tree plan - I believe I read the possibility of apartments within a few years.  I suspect the plan was put in place to simply help with the eventual sale of the land as many land deals are contingent on zoning changes being approved.

A lot of proposed retail activity in the city though:

Kroger Marketplace at Greenbrier Square with Petco, Dick's, Field & Stream, & Home Goods also being mentioned as possible tenants.

Another Kroger Marketplace on Dominion & Cedar.

Former Paradock's on Eden was demolished to make way for two retail buildings.  Looks like a Starbucks, Mattress Firm, Zoe's Kitchen, and Saladworks will be going in.

Petco leased space in Hanbury Village & Starbucks will be building a drive thru in the remaining outparcel with a couple of additional spaces.

Curious the see if anything happens with the Sears/Kmart properties throughout the city with the Sears at Pembroke being redeveloped and rumors circulating about the Hilltop Kmart also being redeveloped.