Belle Meade Theater Site Set to Start Early 06

smeagolsfree

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a little more info on the project. One thing I didn't know was that this is the first project under the new UDO (Urban Design Overlay) rules. I think the UDO will keep parts of Nashville from having the Atlanta style problems. Of coarse, Metro has no control about what happens beyond the County, but maybe the city planners in the surrounding cities will follow Nashville's path with the UDO.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...5/1197/COUNTY01

Here's a little more info on the project. One thing I didn't know was that this is the first project under the new UDO (Urban Design Overlay) rules. I think the UDO will keep parts of Nashville from having the Atlanta style problems. Of coarse, Metro has no control about what happens beyond the County, but maybe the city planners in the surrounding cities will follow Nashville's path with the UDO.

That was a very interesting article. I was especially interesting in the UDO rules and the 12 areas of Davidson County currently designated as UDO areas. This is a very good program, IMO, and I hope that others ares in Davidson County as well as areas in other Metro Nashville counties will go under those rules as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Tony's project , "The Ridgefield @ Kenner" is about ready to start. This will be a 6 story building. I have an older rendering of it on the project thread but there is a new rendering in the NBJ. Its a paid site now so I cannot show it. Project will be 63 units located in the lot directly behind the theater.

The developing partner is Newport Development and the name they have is Belle Meade Terrace.

Belle Meade ground breaking soon. From the CP today. I am glad to finally see this one start. Tony is going to be a busy man over the next couple of years. I am anxious to see when he decides to start planning the Gulch property he has. I think that parcel of land has more potential than all of the others put together.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?se...p;news_id=51624

Belle Meade ground breaking soon. From the CP today. I am glad to finally see this one start. Tony is going to be a busy man over the next couple of years. I am anxious to see when he decides to start planning the Gulch property he has. I think that parcel of land has more potential than all of the others put together.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?se...p;news_id=51624

Agreed. Doesn't he have about nine acres in the Gulch? That's a potential gold mine.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to add that this is well underway. I've been driving by daily since I've been home for winter break and I have been meaning to drive around the back side of the area to see what they have done so far. A few of the stores fronting Harding Pike are still open for now. It looks all torn up behind the stores and around the side of the Belle Meade Theater building.

• 1 month later...

I don't recall this from the earlier stories as being a part of the theater project. I knew about the Kenner, it's on Tony's website, but this seems new to me. It certainly doesn't look familiar. This is the rendering the Tennessean published today. Looks really nice. Seems Tony won't mind competing with himself by offering ultra-high end in Belle Meade and in the Signature. This is really good looking...beats the heck out of the Mediterrean Deluxe or whatever that was we talked about some time ago. Much more appropriate for old money Belle Meade.

bellemeadecourt.jpg

Tony's development partner, Newport, is a very reputable and experienced firm. John Williams, one of the prinicipals, was the founder of Post Properties. The rendering looks very much like Post vernacular. I think this more traditional style will do very well at that location.

Although the rendering quality makes it tough to judge I like the look of this design much more than Bristol West End, for example. Adorned with movie set parapets and inexpensive windows and doors I think the Bristol folks would have been much better off shelving the pseudo roofline for a more traditional roof feature like above. I think the 10 year old Post projects (Post Green Hills, Post Hillsboro Village) will still look better than Bristol West End when it's done...And to think Post was only building apartments !! So much for that as an excuse for buildings to look crappy.

Again, glad to see John Williams and Newport setting their sights on Nashville. Post made a worthwhile contribution while they were here and I imagine Newport expects to pick up where they left off. http://www.newport-development.com

Here is an article from William in the CP this morning.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?se...p;news_id=54701

Dave, I dont think it was listed as part of the theater project. This was discussed at the Frothie Monkey a month or so ago. A condo building and a apartment building being part of the project. This is the same development partner as it was to begin with. I think they had to time with the Belle Meade project.

My two cents.

The Belle Meade Plaza project looks very nice. Glad to see Mr. G. using local talent for the design and construction.

The Kenner Avenue thing....sorry, I must respectfully disagree...I'm very tired of hodgepodge buildings that look like they were designed in 1790. This could easily be the old County Hospital building on 1st avenue. Please, when will Nashville quit trying to look like the turn of the 18th century? Or maybe its just those Atlanta people that think Nashville is so backward...Tony...Please you are killing me... :sick:

The Kenner Avenue thing....sorry, I must respectfully disagree...I'm very tired of hodgepodge buildings that look like they were designed in 1790. This could easily be the old County Hospital building on 1st avenue. Please, when will Nashville quit trying to look like the turn of the 18th century? Or maybe its just those Atlanta people that think Nashville is so backward...Tony...Please you are killing me... :sick:

My two cents.

The Belle Meade Plaza project looks very nice. Glad to see Mr. G. using local talent for the design and construction.

Indulge, I shall!

My two cents.

Archived