Myrtle Beach development gets approval

krazeeboi

The State reports that Myrtle Beach has approved financing for the Market Commons, a $650 million residential and commercial urban village to be built on the site of the former Air Force base. This project is expected to ignite redevelopment on the south side of the city. A TIF district will be created to fund the project. Tenants will include South Carolina

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

In the current issue of Retail Traffic Magazine their is a ad for The Market Common, Myrtle Beach being developed by McCaffery Interests. www.mccafferyinterests.com, I will scan ad later, it has a rendering of the project which is mixed use with residential and commerical.

The retails listed in the ad are PF Changs, Consolidated Theaters, Tommy Bahamas, Orvis, Piggly Wiggly, Gordon Biersch, Acorn, Carlyle & Co., Calddagh Irish Pub, Country Club, Chico's, Divine Dining Group, White House/ Black Market, Cold Stone Cremery, Soma, Planet Beach, Barnes & Noble, Sunglass Hut, Madern Salon and Spa, kuhlman, The Wine Room and Copper Penny Shooz.

Click here for recent press release

Other Recent Press Releases

News Articles

146032033412.jpg

146031960908.jpg

146031997160.jpg

146032009244.jpg

200512_large_site_01.jpg

MCMB_Images0011.jpg

Retail Plan (PDF)

Quote deleted, please don't re-quote a post as long as that one

Thanks btoy! This looks fabulous! The last time I was in Myrtle Beach, the road for this project was in. Great landscaping, wide sidewalks for walking/jogging and well lit with decorative lights. I can't wait for this to open. This laong with Coastal Grand, Broadway, the new Hard Rock complex.....great shopping! :yahoo:

Keep in mind the reason there is an civilian airport there is because in the 70s when Piedmont Airlines switched to jet planes the former airport in Myrtle Beach (located north of the city) didn't have runways to handle it. So they struck a deal with MBAFB to share the runway at the base. The city built the present terminal on the outskirts of the base and the military air control would direct the planes in. When the base closed, it became a civilian airport.

If it wasn't for MBAFB, this land would have been heavily developed decades ago. I remember going onto the base as a kid and it was a small self contained city with its own schools, hospital, housing church, stores, etc. Most of this stuff was on the Southern side of the base away from the runway and has already been redeveloped.

There was a large swath of the land between the "town" in MBAFB and the operations of the base. What was there, nobody knows as the government took a while to remove all of it once they closed it. Now the city has put a road through this part of the former base and built the park that you see on the bottom of the photo above. That left a fairly sizeable piece of land between the park and the runway. Since almost every piece of land is developed in Myrtle Beach, this is a large chunk of undeveloped land that is just too hard for developers to resist, so housing is going up there.

I have been there when jets are taking off and it is quite noisy. There was call for the city to move the Airport to land between Conway and Myrtle Beach because the present airport just isn't large enough and having it located right in the city, isn't good for the city. But politics killed that plan so the city is building a new terminal (shown above) that will be obsolete once it is opened. oh well

i'm glad to see mb finally starting to go upscale somewhat! i am so sick of that "REDNECK RIVIERA" stigma.

The Piggly Wiggly placed in this development may still give the sense of a "Redneck Riviera". However, that's only my opinion as I otherwise think that this is a nice development for MB.

• 1 month later...

Based on the tenants, it sounds like just another unoriginal tourist trap.

This will be quite nice. I was out there a few weeks ago and walked around the new city park that was just completed that will be across the street from this development, that greatly adds to the walkability to the area.

My apologies for having an opposing viewpoint to yours (again), but I could hardly describe this as a tourist trap based solely on the tenants. You could make an argument for unoriginality as this seems to be the en vogue sort of development these days, but I seriously doubt this development is geared at all towards tourists any more than it is toward residents. To say such a thing is just untowardly. :P

• 1 year later...

I was there his weekend but unfortunately did not have my camera. There has been a lot of construction there but most of it has not opened yet. One of the more interesting things that is supposed to open soon is a new concept in grocery shopping being tried by Piggly Wiggly. It was described as a high tech grocery, but I don't have any other details. I would assume that it might be something similar to Foodlion's Bloom.

It does look like a nice place to live. Unfortunately according the the locals I was there with, the disaster that has started to settle down on the US economy, the dropping dollar, and mortgate mess has caused sales there to stall. It remains to be seen when it might recover.

I am very familiar with modern day Piggly Wiggly and I was not suggesting this store was going to be this instead of the older PWs. This store is supposed to be something completely new for them and presumably new to the state. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Archived