Phenix City DT Riverfront Plan

ATLman1

Phenix City is undergoing a $300 million dollar downtown expansion with hotels, restaurants, retail, condos, etc. Demolition has already begun downtown. Phenix City is creating a mini-skyline! As more information comes along I will let you guys know!

Here is what is being built!

Program Design Elements

Retail / Entertainment Uses: Multi-story hotel (s) with adjoining restaurants, cafes, marina restaurant, night clubs, shops, and special events

DillinghamAndBroadLarge743x669_20comp.jpg

New commercial / retail development along Broad St. and new riverside access.

New residential development 2 and 3-story housing above ground floor retail and/or offices fronting proposed riverside access.

RiversideLarge743x669_20comp.jpg

Expansion of Troy University and Chattahoochee Valley Community College

DowntownLarge710x704_20comp.jpg

RiverviewLarge649x669_20comp.jpg

HollandLarge694x691_20comp.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know the tallest of these projects?

I have heard 7 or 8 stories. Not too tall but it's good for Phenix City. The plan is to have a big hotel that sits directly across from the new convention center in Columbus. Hopefully more rooms will be needed. With that, hopefully the building will increase in height but who knows. No name has been given on the hotel, but it will be a big upscale chain (Hilton, Marriott, etc.). Columbus is also in the process of getting a new hotel downtown. There has been talks of expanding the Marriott but nothing has been finalized. I am sure something will be said on both projects very soon.

I think that this is a great tie in with the downtown renovation in Columbus. TSU and CSU should create a large population in that area. There is also much more room south, along the river, in PC for expansion.

Very true. The odd historical explanation is that the Georgia stae line is the high water mark

on the western bank of the river. Coluimbus used this to keep all the industry/mill development

on the Georgia side. The mill workers were left the Alabama side for their homes, shops etc.

Thus, the Alabama side is still relatively under - or undeveloped. This gives them a fairly "clean

slate" and I believe great prospects for commercial development in the DT area and residential

development along the river on the Alabama side.

I see commercial development moving north along river in Columbus to the Bibb Mill area and

comparable residential development moving north along river in Alabama.

What buildings are being demolished? I hope that this project won't replace anything architecturally valuable or interesting. The project does appear attractive, though it's difficult to tell without elevations.

It is nothing historical that I know of. Just some old buildings that are not being used.

What buildings are being demolished? I hope that this project won't replace anything architecturally valuable or interesting. The project does appear attractive, though it's difficult to tell without elevations.

Nothing historical being demolished. Just old non-descript buildings around foot of old 14th St

Bridge (which will become new pedestrian bridge with cafes, etc) and some of the older

buildings in the Riverview Apt complex)

For proposed elevations try

http://www.phenixcityriverfront.org/DevelopmentProjects.html

That shows map of entire area (all 5 areas). Clicking on each area shows a (tentative)

elevation, but I think that this project is still in the concept stages so that what it will eventually

look like is an open question.

Nothing historical being demolished. Just old non-descript buildings around foot of old 14th St

Bridge (which will become new pedestrian bridge with cafes, etc) and some of the older

buildings in the Riverview Apt complex)

For proposed elevations try

http://www.phenixcityriverfront.org/DevelopmentProjects.html

That shows map of entire area (all 5 areas). Clicking on each area shows a (tentative)

elevation, but I think that this project is still in the concept stages so that what it will eventually

look like is an open question.

What hotel do you think will go in downtown gah?

What hotel do you think will go in downtown gah?

Not sure -- keep hearing that Hyatt is indicating some interest. But also that the local folks who own the Marriott are scaring away competition since they are in catbird's seat right across from Iron Works -- howver they are playing hardball with expnsion plans. So all seems to be ata standoff right now. No one wants to commit to hotel in PC until Marriott moves and MArriott wont move until it gets what it wants (concessions/commitments from City) Hopefully resolved soon.

BTW -- I am stoked. Gave myself a new house for Xmas. Exactly what I wanted where I wanted it.

Unfortunately, I will only be able to get down on weekends -- for awhile yet. Still doing my time in Atlanta until mid2008. However, looking forward to getting back to God's Country. Let you know about housewarming! :yahoo:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A small part of the DT development has begun with a restaurant and a small strip center. The restaurant will overlook the Chattahoochee River. The owner of Hunter's Pub, a popular steak restaurant in Hamilton, is looking to build a similar restaurant on the river. The owner also opened a new retaurant in Pine Mountain called Aspen. Here is the article Phenix City redevelopment

• 3 months later...

Good news! The PC DT Redevelopment Authority has purchased the Triangle -- that portion of property along the river from the base of the 14th St Pedestrian Bridge north to 16th St. The planned use of the property is as the campus for Troy State Business School, and possibly for Chattahoochee Valey Community College as well. This is an important development. It is the start of PC's effort to revitalize its riverfront. With CSU's new campus in DT Columbus, the area is going to become more "cool" with the addition of students. That means more cafes, bars, etc. and hopefully the next domino to fall will be the redevelopment of Phenix Plaza into a hip retail/restaurant locale.

• 1 month later...

I hear that there will be a "big" announcement tomorrow Fri Aug 25 @ 3 pm regarding private investment/development along PC riverfront. Not sure what this is or whether my info is just hype or not. Would love for the news to be a new hotel or something equally "big" -- but that is just my hope. No reliable info has been leaked to me -- yet. Anyone in the loop and have an inkling what is going on?

I hear that the "big" news is a riverfront codo project -- residences above, retail/restaurants below. Very Upscale. Located @ old 14th St Bridge -- which is slated to become the new pedetrian bridge linking riverwalks on either side of the river. That location will give access to the TSYS campus and other DT locales. Hope that this is incentive for WC Bradley to start developing the vacant property it owns @ the foot of the bridge on the Columbus side.

I hear that the "big" news is a riverfront codo project -- residences above, retail/restaurants below. Very Upscale. Located @ old 14th St Bridge -- which is slated to become the new pedetrian bridge linking riverwalks on either side of the river. That location will give access to the TSYS campus and other DT locales. Hope that this is incentive for WC Bradley to start developing the vacant property it owns @ the foot of the bridge on the Columbus side.

That would certainly be good news.

The Phenixian, an upscale riverfront condominium complex with retail and restaurants on its lower level, has been approved by the Phenix City Downtown Redevelopment Authority for construction on the city's riverfront. The Phenixian will be built on the Riverfront at the western end of the 14th Street Pedestrian Bridge. The building will have between 62 and 70 residential units sitting above a parking garage that will serve both residents and retail shoppers. Unit sizes will range from 900 square-feet to 3,000 square-feet. The amenity package will include a level with an outdoor pool, hot tub, gas grills and a fitness center. The Columbus Ledger-Enquirer did not say how many floors, but from the rendering in the paper the building looks to be around 10 stories. Anyone know the final number of floors?

• 1 month later...

The Phenixian, an upscale $25 million riverfront complex, is expanding. The building looks to be between 8 and 10 stories. The condominium/retail development, announced last month for riverfront property north of 14th Street near the bridge, also will include property south of the bridge.

The Phenixian will have condominiums on its upper levels and retail and restaurants on its ground level.

The new property acquired by Gilley is expected to be the site of a restaurant or some other dining/retail entity and will be connected with the main Phenixian complex by a walkway to its third floor. The third floor as planned will house the condominium's amenities, including an outdoor swimming pool, a hot tub, gas grills and a fitness center/workout room.

• 2 months later...
With all this developement going starting on the Riverfront, any chance of Summerville Road going commercial? It seems to link the downtown to the more upscale North part (residential) of town....and I just purchased a rental house on Summerville.

Archived