Downtown Grocery Stores

memphian

So lets see.... Viridian will have an HG Hills. Signature is designed to house a grocery store. Germantown has a Kroger at 8th and Jefferson and now the Sobro area has talks of a grocery store as a part of the Stadium. If you lay this develoment out on a map it fits well with the biggest concentration on Church Street but even in the bigger cities like Boston I don't recall seeing two grocery stores within a block of each other. Can this amenity be overbuilt for downtown? I could definitely see something like Fresh Market or Whole Foods opening in the Gulch somewhere too.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Current Grocery Stores near D'town

Kroger 8th Ave. North 1 Mile

Kroger 8th Ave. South 2.5 Miles

Harris Teeter 21st Ave. 2.5 Miles

Other Food Stores

Farmers Market 8th Ave. North .5 mile

Foodland West End Blvd. 1 Mile

Proposed

HG Hills Urban Market (Viridian)

HG Hills Urban Market (Signature) will be one or the other not both

So I do not think a grocery store near the ballpark facility is in the works. I would support a d'town cinema complex ala Knoxville, Chattanooga and Memphis.

So I do not think a grocery store near the ballpark facility is in the works. I would support a d'town cinema complex ala Knoxville, Chattanooga and Memphis.

A downtown cinema I think is a needed addition with all the new residential going in. However, I think a grocery near the ballpark could work, since the plan is to create a neighborhood feel there. It would be close to the new Encore and Rolling Mill Hill as well.

I'm curious...which downtown needs a grocery store more...downtown Nashville or downtown Memphis? It seems to me that downtown Memphis would need it a whole lot more simply because it has a much greater residential base than downtown Nashville, but I could be wrong...I dunno...just a pondering!

There was one in the old Goldsmith's building on Main Street but it closed. Isn't it rumored that there will be one off the trolley line down by all the new development around the Pyramid?

That was a pretty small deli-type operation if I recall. There's another similar store on South Front-Alice's-and then there's the one on Mud Island.

I don't understand why there's not a regular supermarket type store down there either. There are over 12,000 residents in the immediate downtown area including South Main and Mud Island. As far as I know the nearest grocery would be Kroger's at Cleveland and Poplar. That's a good 2 miles away.

There was an article about that in the Flyer which mentioned that one of the problems with downtown is that groceries operate on very low margins and downtown land is expensive. But the article said that within 18 months there would probably be a store opening up. But I've heard that before. The article said it would probably be on Danny Thomas, but I'd prefer it somewhere on those vacant lots south of FedEx Forum.

Memphis, as with Nahsville, has a few different neighborhoods in downtown. Each one could really use its own supermarket if you ask me. There is no reason that someone who lives near Beale Street and the FedEx Forum to have to go all the way to Mud Island to shop. I really like the concept of urban markets that cater to the immediate residents surrounding it. Just a thought. But I do agree that a full-line store is needed. Maybe Kroger will add one. I don't see Schnucks downtown for some reason.

Memphis, as with Nahsville, has a few different neighborhoods in downtown. Each one could really use its own supermarket if you ask me. There is no reason that someone who lives near Beale Street and the FedEx Forum to have to go all the way to Mud Island to shop. I really like the concept of urban markets that cater to the immediate residents surrounding it. Just a thought. But I do agree that a full-line store is needed. Maybe Kroger will add one. I don't see Schnucks downtown for some reason.

has anyone seen the small walmart neighborhood markets? they only sell groceries and a few school/office supplies. maybe something like that would work downtown but every one ive seen is out in the suburbs.

i know not many people are walmart fans but an urbanized walmart neighborhood market is better than no grocery stores at all. since walmart is "the discount leader" prices won't be marked up as much and will appeal to the citydwellers who are on a tight budget. Ofcourse this may only mean the walmartification :wacko: of the CBD

EDIT: Like those european grocery stores in urban malls like peabody place

I'd like to see an urban Publix (Memphis doesn't have one...argh) or Kroger near the Forum since in the coming years most of downtown residents will live on the South side of Union. Urban markets would be good to have sprinkled throughout the area. Maybe you could go the other way around and have the big Kroger north of Union since you see the wealthier residents who would actually be able to afford a boutique market on a regular basis living in the South End as well as eventually in the Horizon Towers and One Beale (hehehe).

has anyone seen the small walmart neighborhood markets? they only sell groceries and a few school/office supplies. maybe something like that would work downtown but every one ive seen is out in the suburbs.

i know not many people are walmart fans but an urbanized walmart neighborhood market is better than no grocery stores at all. since walmart is "the discount leader" prices won't be marked up as much and will appeal to the citydwellers who are on a tight budget. Ofcourse this may only mean the walmartification :wacko: of the CBD

They have two or three in Nashville. I do like the direction that those stores are moving in, minus the large parking lots of course. LOL!!!

Publix is a high end grocer. The area has to be able to sustain a high end grocery store befroe one can develop there. The company shoots for demos of around $70,000 a year and much higher households. They have a Publix in Belle Meade here in Nashville and I don't think there is one household that grosses less than $300,000 a year in that area. LOL!!

I'd like to see Publix come to Memphis - period. There's a great site in Germantown where the old Wal-Mart was.

I may be wrong, but I think the reason Publix hasn't come to Memphis is because of Schnucks. Schnucks is supposed to be an upscale grocery out of St. Louis.

I don't know how long you've lived in Memphis, but Schnucks took over Seesels. Seesels had been previously owned by Albertsons for a few years, though it kept the Seesels name. Prior to that Seesels was a terrific, upscale, locally owned grocery--for decades.

Anyway, due to the Seesels connection, I think a large part of that market still remains faithful--and now shops at Schnucks.

BTW--what is Schnucks like? Does anyone remember the old--pre-Albertsons--Seesels, and how does Schnucks compare?

I vaguely remember Seesels prior to Albertson's and I think Schnucks is a little better--most noticably in the produce section. Schnuck's is upscale but still very competitive with Kroger. And I agree, Publix probably won't enter the Memphis market anytime soon if at all if Schnuck's continues to do well. Interestingly, since Schnucks has entered the market, the Krogers have been undergoing some major facelifts or new stores built near older ones to keep up with a fresh, clean, new, classier look that Schnuck's presents. They have been very good for the Memphis grocery market.

Someone earlier mentioned how they doubt a Schnuck's will be downtown for a while--I tend to agree--the downtown market would probably be best served now by a small startup hometown store. Schnucks does have a compact store in East Memphis on Poplar near Perkins--but there is a full-sized store not far away on Poplar at White Station. I don't know if they have any urban downtown stores around the country though.

Schnucks rocks!!! Probably the best chain grocery I have ever been in, although I have never been in a Publix. Their variety and quality of goods is pretty hard to beat. I wish we had one in Paducah or Jackson, the nearest ones to me is in Cape Girardeau (MO) or Memphis :(.

Well, being an old-timer, I resent Schnucks doing away with the Seesels name, although I hear it's much better than when Seesels was owned by Albertson's.

20 years ago, going into the locally owned Seesels was like looking at the department store Christmas lights on Nicollet Mall in Minneapolis. It was just fun walking around.

Well, I exaggerate of course. :lol:

Imho, one of the best local supermarkets is the Fiesta Marts in Houston. They're huge, and all over the city--stocked with aisle upon aisle of Nigerian food, Brazilian food, Cambodian food, you name it, and cheap to boot.

Yup yup...there are three Wal-Mart neighborhood markets. One in Bartlett, one in Southaven, and one at Mt. Moriah and Ridgeway (?). I call the latter of the three the Wal-Mart Hood Market...you do the math ;). Anyway...they're the first place I've ever seen a drive-thru pharmacy looking comparable to a bank due to it having 3 lanes and the vacuum tubes for the meds...cool stuff!

I may be wrong, but I think the reason Publix hasn't come to Memphis is because of Schnucks. Schnucks is supposed to be an upscale grocery out of St. Louis.

I don't know how long you've lived in Memphis, but Schnucks took over Seesels. Seesels had been previously owned by Albertsons for a few years, though it kept the Seesels name. Prior to that Seesels was a terrific, upscale, locally owned grocery--for decades.

Anyway, due to the Seesels connection, I think a large part of that market still remains faithful--and now shops at Schnucks.

BTW--what is Schnucks like? Does anyone remember the old--pre-Albertsons--Seesels, and how does Schnucks compare?

Schnucks is okay. But you have never been in a grocery store like a Publix. It is hands down one of the best in the country period.

The reason they have not came to Memphis is logistics. The closest distribution center is Atlanta currently. Too far away for trucks to deliver from at the moment.

I love grocery stores. Publix has hit this market like gangbusters, giving Kroger the impetus needed to get off its but and upgrade and replace all their stores. Even my store in Inglewood is beginning to look very sweet. Publix, Harris Teeter, Kroger, Whole Foods (coming soon to Green Hills), Fresh Market, Wild Oats (two or three of these) provide us with a huge variety in great looking buildings. Throw in the Walmart Neighborhood Markets which are really good looking stores, imo, and you don't have to go far for a good grocery experience.

Harris Teeter at Blair and 21st is a great urban store. It may not be downtown, but its positioning and the fact that's it's built to the street with hidden parking, being two levels and surrounded by the density of Hillsboro Village, Vanderbilt and Belmont, it should qualify as an urban market in anyone's book. That really goes for Foodland on West End, too. Most are magnificent stores.

The Publix (and Kroger for that matter) in Brentwood are true pleasure experiences. Most Publix stores are like that anyway. As far a groceries are concerned, I think we should consider ourselves very lucky.

And sometimes it's just fun to valet park at the Green Hills Kroger.

Scnuck's is a good store - I like them. They seem to be spread out pretty far across the city. Kroger in Memphis is VERY different from Kroger in Nashville. That's pretty much the reason why I shop at Schnuck's on a regular basis. But you know.... Super Target Rocks! I think any downtown anywhere that could land one of those is very lucky. As for other Memphis stores, we have a couple Piggly Wiggly's left here and there but you really have to enter at your own risk because they're so frightening. That's pretty sad b/c didn't Piggly Wiggly used to be really nice?

I think traditionally, and from what I remember back when they were in better shape, Piggle Wiggly was just a middle of the road standard grocery, that was not high or low end. I think know in the current environment and standards they are more a of a lower middle supermarket, although I would assume that their quality varies greatly from one location to another.

Off Topic, but perhaps interesting info about Piggly Wiggly and other grocers in West/Middle TN:

The Piggly Wigglys in places like Camden (Benton Co) in West Tennessee, and Erin and Tennessee Ridge (both in Houston Co) all seem pretty nice, not high end, but nice clean standard stores that provide all that one would need.

There are stores also in Lexington, Henderson, Adamsville, Humboldt, Alamo, Savannah, Trenton, Parsons, Bolivar, and Dover in West Tennessee (according to yahoo search, of which only a few I'm I familar with). With stores in Calverty City and Cadiz Kentucky as well, both of which are fairly nice as well.

In NW area of WTN EW James dominates mainly (they also have a presence in areas of Middle TN and have recently expanded into much of KY taking over the old Winn Dixie stores), with Wal-Mart looking to take them out of the game in many markets (they really do seem to be targeting them specifically, in particular in their best markets), along with a few Krogers here and there putting up the good fight despite having recently to give up a decent but very old store in Union City in the past year which was a big loss IMO. Save-A-Lot is a big presence too, some of which are owned by EW James as well.

There are a few lingering independents around too, with no main franchise backing them here and there. I'm enjoying them while I can.

Archived