NEW CONDO HIGHRISE! 18-20 Stories! (proposed)

TD

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is it with the big-city feel!? I love the glass buildings, don't get me wrong, but not because they'll make us feel like a big city... but because they will compliment the skyline nicely.

I think having the big city feel will be bad, for lack of a better word, for Tallahassee. One of the most attractive things about our city is it's "its just right size" feel which is comfortable to families raising children, retirees trying to slow down, and people who move here from big cities trying to escape the big cities without giving up all of the amenities.

What I think Tallahassee should do is complete the skyline in a mid-sized city style, and work on adding the small little things that make a place look "neat" and memorable... something like Little Rock, or Hartford. They've got the glass, but its not overwhelming like big cities are.

Here's a look at each:

9705f731.jpg

Little Rock

HartfordskylinefromColtParksmall.jpg

Hartford

work continues on both skylines, as it does on ours, but don't they look comfortable! :D

Well done TaureanJ!

I love the comparisons with Little Rock and Hartford. I have visited both of these cities and came away with just the impression you were describing - a smaller city with style and an urban sensibility. I might add Manchester, NH:

Manchester.jpg

And even Tulsa, OK (after a few years):

Tulsa.jpg

That's what I was saying from the get-go, our skyline doesn't compliment us. Hartford and Little Rock are about the same size as Tallahassee but Little Rock has been able to retain that small-town feel to it. I don't know how Hartford ranks as a place to raise families but I assume they're a pretty good family-oriented place.

ic0036.JPG

-Be forewarned that I didn't take this picture, so I can't take credit. This is a shot of Birmingham, with the downtown skyline in obvious view. Birmingham combines urban feel with the southern, down to earth atmosphere.

I think Birmingham is a great example... although its metro area is much larger than ours. Hartford is a very comfortable city from the pictures I've seen... I did have the experience of posting in the Hartford forum, some very flattering remarks on the city, only to recieve insults from some of Hartford's forumers... I'm still a fan of the city, but from a distance.

When I think of Tallahassee's skyline in the future, I'm always wondering if we'll ever have a building come along to steal the Tallest from the Capitol? Will we ever have a 30+ building? Its hard for me to say never... although its wishing alot these days to get one thats near 20 stories.

I visit Birmingham quite often and like it very much, but it is a city of a different class due to its extensive, sprawling suburbs. The Five-Points and Sloss Furnaces areas of downtown are '18-hour' and the very urban UAB campus is busy most nights, but there is virtually no student life after dark and 90% of the city shuts down at 6:00 and everyone leaves for Homewood, Vestavia, Mountain Brook, Hoover, Irondale, etc.

To my knowledge there are very, very few high-rise apartment / condo buildings. Most of the new residential developments are large-home subdivisions with golf courses and clubhouses, like our Southwood.

I have often wondered if there has been a conscious effort on this forum to avoid discussing our Capitol building due to the outrageous shape it casts coming into town on Apalachee Pkwy. If we could get enough new buildings up in relatively close proximity to this abomination, it might diminish the insult by making its 'form' less legible in the context of a fuller downtown skyline.

I hear you both. I think you P McLane has a good point in discussion of the capitol building. I think it sitting there by itself does make it's freakish shape obvious. Not to mention, makes our city skyline look lonely. Another thing I love about this city is that it has never suffered shrinkage from people moving out to surrounding cities and in facing the threat of such, we are now growing our urbancore with downtown residential and in-fill in areas such as Frenchtown and the Southside.

I think I'd be bothered if we never get a building taller than the capitol, although I think it would be neat, I just want to fill in those nasty gaps.

i log on here and find out my "favorite" bp station in the world is closing... and for what? a hghrise condo?!?! is there no justice in this world? :D

nice to see a project going up on the other side on tennessee, it should make for an interesting/nice view driving into town on 90W, any renderings? or did i miss them somewhere in this thread. thanks!

I passed the BP Station tonight and it was business as usual over there... open late serving the late night drivers. Looking at it, I think to myself, this gas station doesn't look like its about to close Wednesday as I was told. But we'll see. Meanwhile I looked at the architecture firm behind it and it looks empty but the car rental place doesn't. Where is AVIS going to go... I know they have a station out at the airport, and maybe one on Capital Circle SW, but has anyone heard word of a more central relocation point?

The owner of the gas station reports they have other stores, and told me they'll move their employees and services out to those other locations. But there's the whole AVIS thing... They would probably be a good fit somewhere along West Tennessee Street.

The rental place is actually a Hertz downtown, and they have another location on West Tennessee (by the car dealerships) and at the airport. The downtown location was always convenient for me as it is so close to my office. Now that I am in Southwood the airport location is not too bad from home, though.

I hope they would relocate to another downtown spot. Seems like something in a parking garage area would be a good fit.

BTW - I called over there to Hertz this morning and they said the location would be closing on March 23rd.

Hertz was not notified until about 30 days ago and they have a 90 day opt-out lease, so they still have about another 60+ days at the location. Booth will still take over ownership, but can't boot Hertz out just yet.

Jan. 4 is what I heard also. So tomorrow is the last day for the long-time BP ownership and operation of George Unglaub and Bill Cloud.

Jan. 4 is what I heard also. So tomorrow is the last day for the long-time BP ownership and operation of George Unglaub and Bill Cloud.

Will they have a gas sale? All inventory must go!

But seriously, what will be involved in transforming the long-time site of a service station into useable land for building? Should we expect to see major excavation of the storage tanks, and a rehabilitation of the soil beneath the asphalt? Decades of motorists filling up, dripping oil and gas, and having their cars serviced will probably have left the ground saturated with toxins. Will they remove the earth from the site, or is there a cleaning technique for such locations?

Will they have a gas sale? All inventory must go!

But seriously, what will be involved in transforming the long-time site of a service station into useable land for building? Should we expect to see major excavation of the storage tanks, and a rehabilitation of the soil beneath the asphalt? Decades of motorists filling up, dripping oil and gas, and having their cars serviced will probably have left the ground saturated with toxins. Will they remove the earth from the site, or is there a cleaning technique for such locations?

:silly: Yeah I wanna know too! I'm on E right now. :mumbles: But, don't tell nobody... :shades:

Yeah, the BP station is part of a cleanup called the "Downtown Tallahassee Cluster". I think all four corners are being remediated together but I need to check my files to see what the status is of the BP. I don't think that site's cleanup was finished so they may do a deed restriction on the property. But I will have to check tomorrow...

Archived