NEW CONDO HIGHRISE! 18-20 Stories! (proposed)

TD

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gas pumps were being removed this morning around 9:00. There was a lot of activity on the lot, but I could not tell if the car rental office had been closed. Anyone want to estimate how long until the gas station, auto shop and rental kiosk are gone and the lot is leveled?

As I've driven by this location over the past 3 days there has been absolutely nothing going on at the Hertz booth. With the BP gas station & NAPA Auto Service Center now officially closed and, apparently, no business activity at the Hertz booth I can't imagine them lasting another 90 days at this particular location.

As I've driven by this location over the past 3 days there has been absolutely nothing going on at the Hertz booth. With the BP gas station & NAPA Auto Service Center now officially closed and, apparently, no business activity at the Hertz booth I can't imagine them lasting another 90 days at this particular location.

I heard through that Hertz's lease doesn't expire until March and it's (Hertz) refusing to relocate until then.

2 more days have now gone by & every time I've driven past this location I've yet to see any actual business activity happening at the little Hertz booth. Why are they continuing to stay open in this location? I'm tempted to pull in & question the Hertz employee next time I go by there. :P

This Hertz location is provided as a drop-off/pick-up location for its customers to prevent the need to drive from downtown out to the airport. I do not think you can go there and pick up a car unless you have reserved it first. Whenever I make a Hertz reservation I pick it up there because my office is downtown. The hours are not as flexible as the airport, and there is never more than 1 person working there.

I would imagine that if they could keep a small inventory of cars downtown, this type of location would be more successful. A location built into a parking garage seems to make more sense to me, and one that is closer to the bus stations (StarMetro and Greyhound) would be even better. Of course, I mean the opposite corner in the new proposed lot behind the Floridan.

I don't remember them changing names. I always knew this Rental car place as an AVIS. I passed the other day and they had about 8 cars sitting. It really seems they are holding onto a struggling location now that the BP station has closed. I always thought the Rental Car place made this lot look like an eye soar. I'm trying to picture what type of building will move in on this block and take the place of these buildings. Downtown, in my opinion extends as far north as the Georgia Belle tower, so I'm all for the height.

Any guesses on wether well get a flat top or a pitched roof? What materials are best fit. Should this building wrap the corner like the Floridan Proposal?

That would be an interesting site... seeing this huge building hoovering above the city from I-10 to its place downtown. Of course I'd stretch it out a little... it would need to be 18-20 levels to stick out downtown. Right now I think its 11-12 stories.

I don't know if anyone on here said this before but I really don't like tall buildings that are out of place. For the Commonwealth Center, I understand there was supposed to be more of the same in the area that probably didn't make it. Still, this building has helped to create a nice little Western Gateway into Tallahassee from I-10. I love coming home to the site of that building on my way back from Mississippi.

Yeah another giant Duracell bldg. in town is not needed. Glass is cool, either blue or clear. Of course if Booth is doing the bldg. I'd be happy for anything that doesn't resemble a giant Pez dispenser.

FYI Avis' "in town" rental center is on South Monroe just past the railroad tracks and kind of across the street from Bahn Thai.

Of course if Booth is doing the bldg. I'd be happy for anything that doesn't resemble a giant Pez dispenser.

I think we would all be happy with something modern and different looking. Consider for example one of this year's AIA award winning condominium projects, by Perkins & Will of Chicago:

ContemporaineExterior_new.jpg

The design carefully considers the inherent parking needs of a 30+ unit condominium, while still looking attractive and exciting. Of course, we will not be getting anything like this, because the builder/developer has an idiom that is clearly readable from earlier projects, namely the Frenchtown Renaissance Center.

If we are forced to have yet another brick and stone highrise, maybe we could suggest that they have a look at this recent effort from New York - I especially like the roof-top garden and classical white-stone ground level:

Tfinalext.jpg

I think we would all be happy with something modern and different looking. Consider for example one of this year's AIA award winning condominium projects, by Perkins & Will of Chicago:

ContemporaineExterior_new.jpg

WOW! P'McLane! I think this would definately be a nice fit for the Booth Property. Someone should show this to them... I think it is brilliant! How much did this one cost to build? What city is it located in?

How much did this one cost to build? What city is it located in?

This is the 'Contemporaine' at 516 North Wells, Chicago, by the architectural firm Perkins & Will.

Check out their website: Perkins & Will - Contemporaine

"Located on a corner lot in the downtown Chicago River North area, this 28-unit, 96,000 square foot condominium building includes a four-story retail and parking base below the 11-story residential tower. Tight site restrictions required innovative design solutions. The base of the building fills the entire lot yet achieves a pedestrian scale. Mirroring the tower above, the structure of the parking garage is exposed with floor-to-ceiling glass."

I wasn't able to find a budget, but I would imagine that it is several times the amount we are likely to spend.

I don't remember them changing names. I always knew this Rental car place as an AVIS. I passed the other day and they had about 8 cars sitting. It really seems they are holding onto a struggling location now that the BP station has closed. I always thought the Rental Car place made this lot look like an eye soar.

It used to be Avis and did some pretty brisk business, but the BP lost the Avis contract and later had to settle for Hertz. It has been busier than what we've seen lately, but I can't imagine why Hertz would want to hang in there under these conditions, unless they have some contractual obligations.

Wouldn't a contemporary glass buidling look great? On the other hand, the Tennyson is looking very sharp and a new building on the corner that would complement the Tennyson's style would be so good for Tallahassee.

On the other hand, the Tennyson is looking very sharp and a new building on the corner that would complement the Tennyson's style would be so good for Tallahassee.

Here is something I came across under development in Huntsville, AL. It might be too "suburban" residential, but with an extra six or eight stories I think it would look good, and that a developer in Huntsville is proceeding with such a project would suggest that it is affordable.

As an interesting aside, the mixed-use building is on the former site of a service station.

201605_condo.jpg

I know the height and ground plan for such a building are way outside the parameters of this project, but I thought I would share this proposed condominium tower from Covington, Kentucky - a suburb of Cincinnati. Let's find a place for one like it in Tally!

ascent2.gif

Archived