NEW CONDO HIGHRISE! 18-20 Stories! (proposed)

TD

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting buildings there P_McLane.

The one from Huntsville looks a little like the Tennyson. When you say it's mixed use, do you mean residential and retail on the bottom or do you mean the front part is office space? Where in Huntsville is this building going? I'm pretty familiar w/H'ville since a lot of my father's family lives there.

As for the glass Covington, KY building, I really like it. Very innovative. Do you know what the status of this building is? Reason I ask is b/c the two years I lived in Ohio, Cincy was always considered the very conservative big city of Ohio. It is even expressed in their downtown skyline. Most of the bldgs there are very "simple and safe" in architecture. This bldg. going up in Covington is really a surprise since the KY side of Cincy is the most conservative side of an already conservative city. When you cross the river (Ohio) you really do enter the South IMO. I'm very surprise in a good way that this bldg. is going up there. One thing I will say for Cincy, back when I was there a lot, they always would light up their skyline in a very nice way. It was great to see at night along the river.

As for the glass Covington, KY building, I really like it. Very innovative. Do you know what the status of this building is?

The Covington condominium - dubbed "The Ascent" - has the added cache of being designed by a major name in contemporary architecture - Daniel Liebeskind. The prestige value of his signature on the building might sway the otherwise conservative market in Covington. This article from the Detroit News speaks to the appeal of "office-style" residences such as The Ascent:

"Urban Architecture Enters Renaissance"

The one from Huntsville looks a little like the Tennyson. When you say it's mixed use, do you mean residential and retail on the bottom or do you mean the front part is office space? Where in Huntsville is this building going? I'm pretty familiar w/H'ville since a lot of my father's family lives there.

From the Huntsville Times (June 14, 2005): "The city Board of Zoning Adjustment approved several variances Tuesday night for Thornton Properties to build a mixed-use development called 301 East. It will be at the intersection of Green Street and Holmes Avenue; a Shell gas station once occupied the site."

AL.com - 7-story condominium tower back on track for downtown

Looking around this site it seems that there are a lot of condominium projects going on in Huntsville, particularly in around the Big Spring International Park lagoon. Sounds a bit too invasive to me. I like my lagoons without multi-story parking garages nearby.

As for the glass Covington, KY building, I really like it. Very innovative. Do you know what the status of this building is? Reason I ask is b/c the two years I lived in Ohio, Cincy was always considered the very conservative big city of Ohio. It is even expressed in their downtown skyline. Most of the bldgs there are very "simple and safe" in architecture. This bldg. going up in Covington is really a surprise since the KY side of Cincy is the most conservative side of an already conservative city. When you cross the river (Ohio) you really do enter the South IMO. I'm very surprise in a good way that this bldg. is going up there. One thing I will say for Cincy, back when I was there a lot, they always would light up their skyline in a very nice way. It was great to see at night along the river.

Poonther,

Just to let you know, the Ascent is under construction. They broke ground in November and are securing the perimeter; very much like Plaza Tower at this point. From what I can tell, the finished product should resemble the rendering. You can check out this website and look at the webcam:

http://www.yourascent.com/index.asp?page=home

Wow GG that was one of the most comprehensive condo sites I've ever viewed. I really like how you can click on a floor and see what your day and night view would be. The movie was nice too, just a tad cheesy, but whatever helps a sale is good. That is going to be a great building for Covington and the Cincy area! However cool it is, I just wonder w/Cincy's conservative skyline if it will stick out a little too much. What's your feeling on that?

Question: What's the name of the bridge in front of the Condo acrossing the Ohio? I've walked across it a few time before. Also GG where in KY do you live? Thanks again.

Wow GG that was one of the most comprehensive condo sites I've ever viewed. I really like how you can click on a floor and see what your day and night view would be. The movie was nice too, just a tad cheesy, but whatever helps a sale is good. That is going to be a great building for Covington and the Cincy area! However cool it is, I just wonder w/Cincy's conservative skyline if it will stick out a little too much. What's your feeling on that?

Question: What's the name of the bridge in front of the Condo acrossing the Ohio? I've walked across it a few time before. Also GG where in KY do you live? Thanks again.

Poonther,

I live in Lexington, but I am in Cincy fairly often to see friends. The bridge in front of the condo is the Roebling suspension bridge. It was designed by the same architect that did the Brooklyn bridge, I believe. I don't think the building will stick out too much. Though the city's architecture has been conservative in the last couple of decades, Univ. of Cincy has many modern buildings and the new Cincy art museum is very modern. I think this will be the push that Cincy needs. I used to live in Tallahassee and most of my family still does, so I follow what goes on. In fact, I will be there in a week and can't wait.

Hey GG I wondered what your interest was in the Tally room and now I know. Ah Lex. my favorite big city in KY. I am amazed at how different Lex & L'ville can be, but yet so close in distance. L'ville (I have realtives there) seems much more midwestern and industrial while Lex is much more southern and educated. I think I've heard b4 too that the Roebling Bridge was done by the same guy that did the Brooklyn Bridge. You know as many times as I've been to Cincy, I've never been to the University. I always thought Cincy was a very clean city. Is it still owned by P&G? Good thing you aren't in Tally this week...it's freezing all week into the weekend. It should be cold early next week but looks like it will warm up to 70 by 2.16 or so.

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly... Im talking to them now about getting on top of the building when the Tennyson is complete. Hopefully they'll say yes and I'll be up there soon. If it fails... I'll go 22nd Floor at the Capitol.

If you'de like I can ask my partner to arrange an ariel photo shoot when the buildings are further along. He is a pilot and owns a couple of planes- Sats or Suns- but evenings or mornings have great light conditions. Morning traffic is slow and traffic control allows you to fly around and do some site-seeing at a low altitude 500-1000 ft.....

That is great about a building on Tenn. & Monroe- I hope it's designed correctly! [email protected], bring mr. poonther along.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hertz should be moving out later this month.

It's been a while since anyone mentioned design plans for this building. Even with Hertz vacating, there won't be any movement on the lot until the developers know what's being built. Do they know?

Archived