Build Your Own Skyline

Plasticman

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt many people will agree with my choices, but as an architect, the below buildings are what I feel are among the strongest highrises in the South. The one building per city rule leaves out a few good buildings in some of the cities listed, but at this point I could only come up with 9 buildings.

R.J. Reynolds Building - Winston-Salem: IMHO, easily the best highrise in the South and the best Art Deco highrise outside of New York

City Hall - Asheville: unique mixture of Art Deco, Spanish and local vernacular

Nashville Life & Casualty - Nashville: makes me think of a tame Morris Lapidus

Landmark Tower - Greenville, SC: good, solid modern architecture with a nice textured exterior

Louisiana State Capitol - Baton Rouge: elegant, spare Federalist architecture at its best

City Federal - Birmingham: elegant early take on highrise architecture; points for the sign on top

Equitable Building - Atlanta: structural rationalism

129 West Trade - Charlotte: unique Modernist building with an interesting textured curtain wall system

Espirito Santo Plaza - Miami: I'm still trying to decide if I want to include this KPF bldg on my list

Honorable Mention -

Bank of America Tower - Charlotte: typical Pelli architecture but it did dramatically alter CLT's skyline

Winston Tower - Winston-Salem: best International Style highrise in the Carolinas

GMAC Insurance - Winston-Salem: unique design that was a first take on sustainable, energy conscious arch

Westin Peachtree - Atlanta: uncompromising 70s glass tube

Elm Place - Dallas

Shore Club - Miami Beach

JP Morgan Chase - Houston

Worst Buildings-

Bell South - Nashville

Hearst Building - Charlotte

Jefferson Standard Building (new one) - Greensboro

Wachovia Building - Raleigh

401 West Fourth - Winston-Salem

Aegon Building - Louisville

AmSouth Building - Tampa

Sun Trust Building - Tampa

Modis Building - Jacksonville

Frost Bank Tower - Austin

Clark Tower - Memphis

AmSouth Harbert Plaza - Birmingham

Sun Trust - Atlanta

Concourse Towers - Atlanta

lol Did you use Nashville's skyline? I believe I see a Renassaince, Suntrust, and AmSouth hidden in there.

BTW, very cool. Good job. You picked out some nice buildings.

Good guess. :lol: Yes, the angle of the shot hid most of the Nashville skyline but put the Bellsouth Tower right down front and it was one of my choices so I just added to it. Just wish I could have gotten it to load on here.

Try this, Plasticman!

skyline30wt.th.png

Great! Did you just shrink it to make it fit? :thumbsup:

I'd like to see some others do that. It is kind of fun. I used the paint program and just cut and pasted various skyscrapers and tried to fit them into the picture according to their true height in relation to their distance away.

• 1 month later...

OK, I've decided. I've made a diagram instead of writing a list. I've borrowed the drawings from Skyscraperpage.com, and credit go's to that site and to the individuals that drew the buildings.

98442345_35789c838f_o.jpg

Of course The Reynolds Tower in Wiston-Salem should get credit.

How did you do this,I could not do that my computer?

How did you do this,I could not do that my computer?
Go to skyscraperpage.com and find the buildings diagram. Then "copy target" for each drawing into "my files". Then find your art or bitmap board and copy and paste each drawing to the art board, and save to "my photos". Then set up an account(which is free)at flickr or webshots, and then upload your pic onto the website. Then right click into propertys and save the "propertys address". Come into here and click reply, and paste it on the reply page. Then type img in front, and /img on the back, just type in img and /img between these []. I'm not sure if you needed this much info, but just incase you did, here it is. Hope it works for you :)

Archived