Vendomatic

Jenkins

There is an old Vendomatic laundry building, across from Chelo's on Silver Spring Ave in the north end. It is no longer in use, run down, and has broken windows. I figured it to be just another abanded building in Providence that is still waiting for the renaissance to reach it. However, the other day I drove by it and a big bay door was open. Inside was a collection of vehicles, some pretty nice one's, too. A couple guys were parked out front and talking. Next to this building is a used car dealer, but he sells nothing as nice as these cars.

Any ideas? I have a few suspicious thoughts, but I've probably been watching too many crime dramas :P

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've certainly heard of wealthy folks buying cheap, old industrial buildings on the outskirts of areas to store their cars in. It's much, much cheaper than building an ugly 5 or 6 car garage on the estate, no? I think the building where the car wash is in Hope Village on 4th street was previously used by some developer for that purpose.

I don't know about you, though, but if I ever conceivably had that kind of money, I'd be scared to death of sticking cars like that in the middle of nowhere. Talk about a challenge to thieves, and who would ever see them breaking in at 3 AM?

- Garris

Archived