Arkansas Accents

Mith242

Your statement makes sense...but I don't think you can say that.

I know several native-born Arkansans at my school without accents. In fact, there really isn't anyone at my school with an accent. ....maybe 3-7 people at most.

Is it that they have no accent at all or that they have very slight accents by Arkansas standards? I've had people tell me here in Arkansas I have no accent, in particular in the southern part of the state. But I've had people from other parts of the country say that it's not very strong but I certainly have an accent. I can't help but wonder if that's probably the case. But perhaps not. I guess maybe some people try to learn and enunciate a standard type of spoken English. This could make for some more interesting discussion Johnny. :D

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most don't have slight accents either.

If you count those with a slight accent, you could raise that number to 10-35 people. That's out of 200.

I'm comparing their accents to mine, and I've been to the northeast a few times and people said they can't tell I'm from the south.

Most don't have slight accents either.

If you count those with a slight accent, you could raise that number to 10-35 people. That's out of 200.

I'm comparing their accents to mine, and I've been to the northeast a few times and people said they can't tell I'm from the south.

That's very interesting to hear. Any ideas why this may be Johnny? I spent most of my early life in southeast Arkansas where accents tend to be rather strong but I admit I never developed much of an accent, nor did my sister. All my relatives have strong accents. I'm not sure if it's because I lived in a city (Pine Bluff) and not in a smaller town. I think a little bit might be because I felt that a strong southern accents usually had a stigma attached and I felt they were looked down upon people in other areas of the country. I think I felt that being well educated equaled not having a strong accent. Whether it was on a conscious or subconscious level. I can't say I ever felt that I was taught not to have an accent or anything. Anyway I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this Johnny.

That's very interesting to hear. Any ideas why this may be Johnny? I spent most of my early life in southeast Arkansas where accents tend to be rather strong but I admit I never developed much of an accent, nor did my sister. All my relatives have strong accents. I'm not sure if it's because I lived in a city (Pine Bluff) and not in a smaller town. I think a little bit might be because I felt that a strong southern accents usually had a stigma attached and I felt they were looked down upon people in other areas of the country. I think I felt that being well educated equaled not having a strong accent. Whether it was on a conscious or subconscious level. I can't say I ever felt that I was taught not to have an accent or anything. Anyway I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this Johnny.

That's my guess. I used to abhor southern accents myself, but I now find them unique and interesting... Southern accents usually have an uneducated stigma attached.

In a school with academically-advanced kids, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them (sub)consiously got rid of any trace of an accent.

That's my guess. I used to abhor southern accents myself, but I now find them unique and interesting... Southern accents usually have an uneducated stigma attached.

I agree. I think it was more subconcious when I was growing up but I think I associated a strong southern accent with being a redneck or uneducated or something. Now of course I could care less what people think and I do appeciate southern accents much more. Actually all accents in general for that matter. Although the southern US accent is certainly a favorite.

Maybe you can answer a question I have. Is there really any difference in accents between the Arkansas and Texas side down there?

Not really because their is so much interaction between the two cities that everyone sounds the same except for people coming into the area from out of state.

Accents are a funny thing. I was born in Louisana and spent my entire childhood moving around Arkansas and Texas and I have no southern accent at all. Poeple in minnesota are always shocked to hear I'm from the south. But, on the other hand, my Dad has lived in California and Colorado for decades and still has a very think southern accent. Man, let me tell ya, there are tons of minnesotans who don't think they have accents but have very noticeable ones. I can't tell different reigons of Arkansas accents apart, but I can tell it from a more south easterly - say a Carolina or Georgia - pretty easily. I can also tell a North Dakota from a Minnesota pretty easily. Have any of you guys have ever been to Maine? Now THERE'S an accent for ya. I could hardly understand a word they were saying (but what a gloriously beautiful state!). I used to be glad I didn't have a southern drawl to me, but nowadays with the whole country looking more and more alike and states and reigons loosing so much of their individuality, I thinks accents may be one of the last things to set places apart. I kinda hate to see them fade away in some places.

Accents are a funny thing. I was born in Louisana and spent my entire childhood moving around Arkansas and Texas and I have no southern accent at all. Poeple in minnesota are always shocked to hear I'm from the south. But, on the other hand, my Dad has lived in California and Colorado for decades and still has a very think southern accent. Man, let me tell ya, there are tons of minnesotans who don't think they have accents but have very noticeable ones. I can't tell different reigons of Arkansas accents apart, but I can tell it from a more south easterly - say a Carolina or Georgia - pretty easily. I can also tell a North Dakota from a Minnesota pretty easily. Have any of you guys have ever been to Maine? Now THERE'S an accent for ya. I could hardly understand a word they were saying (but what a gloriously beautiful state!). I used to be glad I didn't have a southern drawl to me, but nowadays with the whole country looking more and more alike and states and reigons loosing so much of their individuality, I thinks accents may be one of the last things to set places apart. I kinda hate to see them fade away in some places.

I can't say I know a Maine accent offhand. I do know the northeast supposedly has the most accents in the country. I really like the Minnesota/North Dakota accent. Maybe I wouldn't have sounded more like that if my Scandinavian ancestors had decided to settle up there instead of Arkansas. :D

Archived