712 Tucker

c_harmons

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Build a retaining wall. Its done all the time when water in near.

But that creek floods so I imagine there would be some concern that the cars below the building would be in trouble. Also, you might compromise the footings of the walls containing the creek basin.

I actually heard the developer say in the PC meeting that the City has implemented new minimum floor elevations to keep it above the new flood elevation and that was part of the reason the proposed first floor is above the road and requires stoops to get back to street level.

I do think costs issues aside, that particular site would not even be allowed to put parking below the first floor.

I actually heard the developer say in the PC meeting that the City has implemented new minimum floor elevations to keep it above the new flood elevation and that was part of the reason the proposed first floor is above the road and requires stoops to get back to street level.

Doc is correct. They can't go underground due to the 100 year flood elevation, which dictates the bldg's first floor elevation on up.

The discussions about the creek (Pigeon House Branch) were very informal. Most of the portion along West St is already daylighted but portions run in concrete channels, like behind Raleigh Office Supply. The discussion involved daylighting the stream all the way through the ROS block with a greenway trail along it. The problem is very expensive property covers over most of the section from ROS to the sanitation dept property. It daylights briefly between Tucker and Johnson by the bead shop. It looks like the Raleigh Housing Authority tower, and 510 Glenwood both are on top the creek though. A developer was trying to assemble land along West at one point north of Peace. I think he was also talking about truning that portion of Pigeon House into a greenway. Hmm, ya know, Townhomes all along the creek down there might be cool if the Glenwood neighborhood and the Railroad would allow a street to opened to connect the two neighborhoods Deveraux, Cleveland, Tilden...one of 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the last CAC meeting and they had concerns about the density being about 80 units/acre--whereas the zoning permits up to 40--although it does allow up to 80 if certain provisions are met (parking deck, etc). They also really had issue with the parking deck in the rear, which will be visible from the St Mary's side.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I said it several weeks ago. The City of Raleigh is apparently going to demand this project lower its building height to have less than 4 stories next to Cameron Park.

Crosland said they would rather pull the plug on the project rather than lower height and density as it complies with the small area plan and this is just NIMBYs getting their way.

I have to imagine they would have a pretty good lawsuit if the City denied it. I will also be shocked if Mayor Meeker allows a project brining condos targeting folks who can only afford $125,000 prices to be denied. What an embarrassment that would be.

are you kidding, they are starting at 125 k?? wow... i really hope crosland plays hardball and pulls the plug rather than giving in to the nimbys... while i doubt any of them read this board, i have a message for them anyway... MOVE TO FRANKLIN COUNTY!!!! hahah really, wtf do you expect living inside the beltline a mile from downtown?!? if you want peace and quiet and privacy there are a multitude of options available to you in the triangle area... this just ain't one of them.

ok sorry, i had to get that out... i feel much better now. :P

Seriously, they said their goal was to keep the condos between $125,000 and $300,000. And they said at least half would be below $200,000.

But they said they have to build a bigger project, like the proposed 180 units, to gain some efficiencies of scale to be able to hit that price point.

That is why they cannot lower the density and building height.

I encouraged them to take it the N&O because I think they can get some real pressure on the Council to stand up against these people who move into a single family home near downtown and then say they don't want to deal with traffic and taller buildings.

Unbelievable.

:angry:

To be fair, I talked to Crosland last month and they told me the units would be on the order of $200/sf, which would mean approx $140k-160k for a 700-800sf 1BR 1BA starter. So $125k isn't going to happen. They might say that now, but it won't make it to construction, and delays in the project will only hurt their ability to keep prices down.

i don't know how I would feel about paying 125k for a small efficiency, i think i will just stay put. still looks like a cool project though...

At 7% interest, that is only like $800/month. That is not a whole lot considering the cost to rent an apartment. At least it allows you to build equity and get a tax deduction. Oh well, I probably should not go on any further than that. Just trying to draw the point that it is pretty affordable considering the market and the location. I think they will be a hit.

At 7% interest, that is only like $800/month. That is not a whole lot considering the cost to rent an apartment. At least it allows you to build equity and get a tax deduction. Oh well, I probably should not go on any further than that. Just trying to draw the point that it is pretty affordable considering the market and the location. I think they will be a hit.

i already have a decent place near five points with hardwood floors and two bedrooms... an efficiency for 125k is a studio, basically, right? that's why I am staying here... I would love to move downtown, but I would need atleast one bedroom... btw, I don't rent. but thanks for the advice. :)

i already have a decent place near five points with hardwood floors and two bedrooms... an efficiency for 125k is a studio, basically, right? that's why I am staying here... I would love to move downtown, but I would need atleast one bedroom... btw, I don't rent. but thanks for the advice. :)

Yeah, it sounds like basically a studio. I don't blame you for not wanting to leave Five Points. I really like that area too.

I understand this project was moved to City Council with a recommendation of denial because Crowder does not want 4 stories next to the single family across St. Mary's.

This should be interesting because the small area plan says buildings up to 5 stories are permitted.

One of the Council members said they cannot believe people downtown are already saying put the brakes on development.

I am sorry for those who like Crowder, but he sounds like a true idiot.

Crowder is an idiot. Typical politician. Votes against Soleil Center because he says it should be downtown then proceeds to vote against everything downtown. A total clown (ie politician). Somebody should ask this guy what he really supports. Oh, I know-he supports keeping his slimy butt in office.

Crowder, whether you hate him or really utterly hate him, plays an important role on the council. He's the only one that considers the drawbacks to the projects, and while he tends to get a bit zealous about it, it never affects the votes and it brings some objectivity to all the decisions.

Crowder, whether you hate him or really utterly hate him, plays an important role on the council. He's the only one that considers the drawbacks to the projects, and while he tends to get a bit zealous about it, it never affects the votes and it brings some objectivity to all the decisions.

I understand your comment but not sure "it never affects the votes " is truly correct. It appears that way and most of the time, it doesn't.....I just don't think he trying to get everyone to "Think", unless they are going to "think" about him. I believe if it does not meet his exact standards, he is against it with no compromise. Not sure that is good for any politician, especially if they are representing you/me. I think he thinks he is smarter than everyone else and he is right and you are wrong. Or to show everyone "I am the Expert."

I will say it again. If you saw him when he first got on the CC, he would constantly drone about "being from Raleigh" and "growing up here" and "his city" , "I am a architect" blah, blah, blah. and if you watch the other council members, they would be rolling their eyes.

His rental rules he tried to push through the council a few years ago should be enough to ban him from the city limits. (no more than 2 people renting per 2 bedroom house...something like that)

He reminds me of the kid who owns the baseball in the neighborhood and if he does not get to pitch and bat first, he takes the ball and sits off to the side and pouts.

Again, just my humble opinion that really does not amount to much...

Archived