712 Tucker

c_harmons

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

I keep up with this as I am hoping to move from Oberlin Court. Crosland said they were just permitted last week and now they are working on finalizing the construction pricing.

They are really trying to have condos starting in the $100,000s. But they are studying every number to make sure it works.

I really hope they pull it all together.

ME TOO because if they do, i might be able to live downtown!

that would be a dream come true.

I like this development a lot, because i think that towers are great, but sometimes its also really good to have quality 3-5 story buildings, it creates a real sense of infill, density and urbanity. I am really excited about this and i hope it becomes a trend. Then all of us who complain abotu not being able to live downtown might actually be able to!

...towers are great, but sometimes its also really good to have quality 3-5 story buildings, it creates a real sense of infill, density and urbanity. I am really excited about this and i hope it becomes a trend. Then all of us who complain abotu not being able to live downtown might actually be able to!

• 1 month later...

How can someone be considered a "reviewer" if they never went to the site and, you know, reviewed it? A *walk* from the city's offices on West Hargett to Tucker street might be 15-20 minutes; a car ride would be even quicker.

This "review" process, combined with the arcane (but slowly changing) zoning laws have kept good projects off the drawing board for downtown for years. Who reviews the reviewers??? The city manager and his staff? Ugh.

• 2 months later...

I hear it on good authority that this is getting ready to start. They expect to launch the website and start taking reservations in the next couple of weeks.

I couldn't get the real prices yet but they did say homes started around $150,000, many were around $190,000 and the average was $230,000.

How does that compare to other projects?

If they really do start at $150k, even for a 600 sf starter 1BR, that is outstanding! It would open up the marketplace to new or recent college grads... basically those folks who want to live near downtown, but are currently priced out of the current downtown revitalization. Haven't we all been talking about this for some time? Maybe it's not a perfect project from a design standpoint (no retail, etc), but if the pricepoints hold, it's a huge step forward for the overall marketplace.

^ I agree it's a start in the right direction. But that's all I'll grant them. Personally, 150k may just be low enough to transfer me from a renter to a homeowner, but at 600sf? I dunno...can a person fit a queen bed, dresser, computer desk, couch, loveseat, TV, table w/chairs, bookshelf, lamps, stereo and nightstand all into that? :unsure:

You know, I've always thought that was the hilarious thing about how most of these downtown Raleigh condo buildings have been marketed over the past decade...websites and print ads featuring beautiful, sexy young hip singles (usually well-dressed and wine glasses in their hands)....people who look like they're just barely outta college. Yet I hardly know anyone under age 35 who could afford most of these things! :lol:

Archived